looking for info about teaching english in china

hi all,

i know there are previous threads about teaching english in china. I am looking for current info about teaching english as a second language in china. especially for a non- professionals with no formal degree or expierience as teachers, is it possible? are there online certificates or cources anyone recomends? also any ones expierience teaching english in china.

thanx

garage gods,

Since no one else will answer you, I’ll take the first step and answer your question.

There are many teaching positions available. Some good, some not so good. One of the sites I visit, and to me is very informative and truthful about your questions is the following hyperlink:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=9

I have tried and tested the information that they provide. All the information they provided, with the exception of personal experiences (these are subject to contextual preconceptions), has matched the published data to 65%, plus or minus 5%. There are many complex issues of teaching and living in China. The same site has questions that are addressed to non-teaching related issues. It should be noted that approximately 90% of the posters are/or have taught currently in China. Several of the posters, are friends of mine, in China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, and Cambodia (LOL, saves on hotel bills when I travel!) The hyperlink is as follows:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=44

There are many other sites that have used, that I have listed in previous posts. No feedback to the use of them, so no evaluation of the results or use. You can perform a search and find them under my screen name of Cerberus.

I don’t post very much now, just simply listen and read. I have my own personal reasons for this. Your question raised an exception in my mind. If you wish more information on where to look, or more information please PM me. I’ll answer anything you wish to know, and this knowledge will cover the Southeast Asia area.

Then there are also the Universities.

They pay much more (I know a person this summer who will teach ESL via one of the premiere universities, and is getting paid 15,000RMB a month to do so, plus free housing), but often require you to have at least a MS/PhD degree (and do not except a TEFL certificate as meeting this minimum requirement).

But do be careful of private businesses...

many will try to hold your passport, not pay you money, etc.

In these cases (and I have seen many) there is little resource that you have.

Hence, a large government organization like a foreign embassy, or a government run university is often your safest way to go.

Thanks all for the helpful links and info. I dont have any imediate plans of teching english in China as of yet, but wanted to get feedback and info about the possibilities. My Chinese wife has been here in the U.S. for 2 years and is happy but........ she really misses her family in China and her heart will always be in China. So we might end up living there at some point???? Teaching english seems to be the obvious job for an American that cant speak any Chinese :blink: I dont have any formal training as a teacher or any degree yet. Is there any certificate programs that are valid when looking for teaching jobs? my wife has a place to live in china so i would be looking for teaching work in a specific city. any other comments or feedback would be appriciated :ph34r:

Qingdao INternational School is a good one. Contact Jeff Fischer there. They have a good reputaion and the salary is very high. Nicy city to be in too - great beer, beaches and good BBQ!

CD

And if you go to Qingdao and need a place to live, send me a PM. My wife and I have a house sitting in a nice location (right near where a future subway line will be), surrounded by shops, and such. And since we are not in China right now, we could easily rent it out at a fair market price.

It is a beautiful city, with fun things going on. If you want some info, get back to us as well. :(

a high school gradute can teach english in asia, bigger the degree the more you make

my SO just started teaching english at a golf couse in viet nam and she getting paid 2 dollars a day and building up a good reputation, she figure in 6 month she be making 1 US dollar a hour per student, considering she make only 88 dollar a month as a teacher, teaching englsh is profitable i figure by 3 months she will make more teaching english than what she make as a teacher at a school for a year

robert