Adjusting to America

Talking with Jen's cousin earlier, she said she would plan to take some time off to spend with Jen when she arives. Once again she steps up and offers to help far beyond my expectations. ;) She was also delighted when I mentioned looking into moving closer once Jennifer is here if we can make it work. I know there is a lot still to learn and do, but it's becoming clear that anwering that add over 2 years ago is the single best decision I ever made. :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to update this, because the post stats put here is worth keeping at the front for now. My lateset e-mail from my lovely fiancee said that she is working her little tail off to learn hair dressing and cosmotology. B) I think Trigg was right more than he could know in that she is going to be helping me adjust to married life, much more than I will be helping her adjust to America. B)

I didn't bring a woman to the US- but I know from my experience in China that the best thing Hengli could do was take me out and keep me busy- start fishing or hiking or some kind of cool hobby that you can do together- she needs to be involved in her own stuff and she will make a life for herself in time- but at the beginning the best thing you can do is help her with that. And teach her how to get around your city on her own. I know that even though my husband can drive he has to rely on me when he doesn't know how to get somewhere- this is not a problem in China because you can always take a cab if you get lost- but in the US is a big deal. All the other stuff is great advice. Especially a rice cooker and a wok- those are essential- so is knowing where the good Chinese stores and restaurants are.

I didn't bring a woman to the US- but I know from my experience in China that the best thing Hengli could do was take me out and keep me busy- start fishing or hiking or some kind of cool hobby that you can do together- she needs to be involved in her own stuff and she will make a life for herself in time- but at the beginning the best thing you can do is help her with that. And teach her how to get around your city on her own. I know that even though my husband can drive he has to rely on me when he doesn't know how to get somewhere- this is not a problem in China because you can always take a cab if you get lost- but in the US is a big deal. All the other stuff is great advice. Especially a rice cooker and a wok- those are essential- so is knowing where the good Chinese stores and restaurants are.

Thanks for your input. :blink: I know what you mean in that when I was there, Yunhe helped me so much in making sure I knew how to get around. One of the days, she was not able to be with me and before that, she made sure I would be alright for the day, which I was. I can still remember though how I felt when she showed up unexpectedly that evening. You would have though I had not seen her for years. :P She has so many people here right behind me that will be there for the both of us. Also with the help I have recieved here in CFL, I know she will be fine. :ph34r: When the day comes, I only hope we voth will be able to show all of our CFL brothers and sisters the gratitude you all deserve. :o

I know what you mean in that when I was there, Yunhe helped me so much in making sure I knew how to get around. One of the days, she was not able to be with me and before that, she made sure I would be alright for the day, which I was. I can still remember though how I felt when she showed up unexpectedly that evening. You would have though I had not seen her for years.  :lol:

Yes, this is the thing that I was so impressed with every time I have been to China. I remember laying on a hammock in Sanya on the beach having Jenny feed me fresh mango while rocking the hammock. I have read so many stories of chinese women treating their visitors extremely well. Afraid I will disappoint her when she comes here

My Lu Li is always feeding me with her lightning fast chopsticks..."Eat more"...once she filed my fingernails while we rode in a cab and little sister #2 observed that she would pick her lover's nose but Lu Li would not go that far... :lol:

Gee Roger are you sure she really cares? :lol:

Maybe I should limit CFL to the mornings only. Now I'll spend an extra hour trying to go to sleep. As nice a waiting room as this is and as great as everyone has been, waiting still sucks! :angry:

My Lu Li is always feeding me with her lightning fast chopsticks..."Eat more"...once she filed my fingernails while we rode in a cab and little sister #2 observed that she would pick her lover's nose but Lu Li would not go that far... :lol:

Maybe I should limit CFL to the mornings only. Now I'll spend an extra hour trying to go to sleep. As nice a waiting room as this is and as great as everyone has been, waiting still sucks! :angry:

This is a terrible addiction Dan. I am falling further and further behind at work and tonight I had planned on continuing a painting project in the guest room and never got to it... :lol: But it really does help pass the time and keep my mind off... :(

Maybe I should limit CFL to the mornings only. Now I'll spend an extra hour trying to go to sleep. As nice a waiting room as this is and as great as everyone has been, waiting still sucks! :lol:

This is a terrible addiction Dan. I am falling further and further behind at work and tonight I had planned on continuing a painting project in the guest room and never got to it... :( But it really does help pass the time and keep my mind off... :(

I'm right with you. Especially after getting the latest canned response from GZ. :angry: I haven't done my laundry in weeks.

My wife is a bit different. Everytime I try to take her to an asian supermarket or introduce her to some chinese in the area she feels very uncomfortable. Throughout her life she has always felt uncomfortable in China. Perhaps it is because she was Korean born and not native Chinese. Within 4 days she refuses to use chopsticks and prefers forks. She likes American supermakets and does not like Chinese food very much because it is so greasy. She definitely fits better in America than China, and even her Chinese friends have told her this while she was still in China. But one thing that remains very traditional is that she wants to know that she is needed and that I want her to take care of me. As long as she knows I always need her then she is always happy.

I have been very happy with this tread. :) Some of the posts from the Old Timers have been monumental and have also made me apreciate Jennifer that much more. :P She has really liked the pictures I have been sending to her and has already spoke of a few places she wants to see. B) Right now I think the hardest part will be that I won't want to go back to work after she is here and want to spend all of my time making up for being apart for so long. :lol: