A few days ago, beijingjenny spoke with Maura Harty, the Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs. Apparently, Mrs. Harty is a key individual who has the ability to enact change at GUZ and seemed sympathetic to our plight.

However, the voices of those requesting business and student visas have been louder than ours... and their applications have priority over ours. This is wrong because business and student visas serve Chinese citizens who want to study here or do business. While our visas are requested by us, American citizens, who should be served first by the DOS.

Thanks to beijingjenny, we may have Mrs. Harty's attention... if we continue to follow up. Donahso says that "a group letter is fine if someone wants to take it on." However, we must follow the CFL guidelines.

I am volunteering to draft the letter, but I need feedback on the following items.

1) What issues should we bring to the table.

2) What is the best way to approach this issue.

3) Which members would like to sign the petition.

Number three is important, as we need to know if CFL members want to do this. I understand that some of you, who are currently going through this process, may be wary about approaching the DOS. I know the feeling.

So I want to start by saying that this petition will be absolutely POSITIVE in tone. We want to enlist the help of our government representatives, so we need to ask in a polite way. This does not mean that we cannot address the issues, but we need to approach it properly.

So I am asking for the help of those who have already passed this ordeal; you can provide a lot of constructive feedback to policy-makers. And for those who are still waiting, like me, please step up if you feel that it is right.

And of course, feedback from everyone is more than welcome. Thanks.

<_<

actually I would like to see a BLOG completely to problems with the embassy documenting every problem going on there and list of grievance, update daily. then give out that blog address to all the sites.

make it into a document site that you can say hey! your on notice. we going to post every good and bad thing that happen at GZ. up date it weekly leave a email address for people to send you thier problem, or no problems, post a average time on there and keep it updates with facts so GZ can look on it and see they being monitor. send the link to every one you know and to ever congressman and senator.

every time there a news story in a paper sent the reporter or editor a link to the site. the site will grow as more people say yes I have a problem here it is please post it. I know some in cfl have been number crunching so put it on a beautiful site , make it look official and start dishing it back to them. you can leave name out just post numbers.

start posting VO problems the black pearl

a letter will give you a good feeling for a while but it be forgotten after a while. you really want to be a thorn just put them up for all to see.

post the comment from the dinner, post the letter you sent on the site, post any response you get back from them.

the blog could be the newsletter of GZ problem and what can be done to fix it.

many news blog got started small and now are powersful new sites.

How about something along the lines of please make the necessary changes to the process so that all consulates in China can handle the visa process just like they do in India at the three consulates there. A request for consultation from the Consulate in the Philippines on how to handle the same work load in a third of the time. These two things would probably solve most of the other problems, and no reinventing of the wheel is required. Just do what they do.

I believe specific cases would be most powerful. We don't want to write a novel if we actually want someone to read it, but real life stories could help make it hit home. Such as Alex's and other less disastrous but painful ones.

I agree that being positive is best and offering constructive suggestions. I.e. if hiring Chinese speaking VOs is a problem, what can be done? Allocating more resources to language training/recruiting? Or other ideas? And pointing out that reform is in the best interest of all, including those working at GZ.

I'd be willing to sign but probably wary til after Jack's interview and til I've actually read it. But def count me in.

Thanks for taking this on, Hank!! I think real live people, stories and case #'s, in group form, could have a big impact. And certainly will be harder to ignore.

Jenny,

I've learned something from your wonderful example. If you can go to Beijing to meet Mrs. Harty, then a short trip to meet Mrs. Harty in the U.S. could be easy.

I propose creating a signed letter, followed by stories documenting experiences from individual CFL members who have been through or are in the black hole now.

I am upset about the long wait times. But I am even more upset by stories of our CFL members being denied visas, then left in the dark about the reasons. GUZ can improve customer service without major changes.

I propose that the letter be designed to get us in the door with Mrs. Harty... to get us a face to face meeting or conference where we can discuss changes that need to occur.

If we are going to do this, we need to leverage our numbers. We can bring family and friends on board too.

My visa is coming along in two months, so this probably won't benefit me directly. But in the past few months, I have read enough stories to make my stomach turn. The situation at GUZ needs to change, because it isn't right. And if we don't raise our voices, who will?

It sounds like you have got a good idea going, Hank, but you need a whole lot more interest from the members. You probably need at least 100 co-signers to make it powerful enough. Why don't you write a first draft and post it and challenge others to re-write it, perhaps this will generate responses.

I just sent an e-mail to Maura Harty informing her that a man who works where I do had his case sent to the Phillipines about the same time as mine, Noveber 2004. His wife had her interview January 29, 2005. We are still waiting for our P-4.

I will sign a goup letter.

Thank you all for this web site.

For those who have showed their support so far, thank you. I will go ahead and draft the first copy of our letter, and post it within the next few days.

I would hate to see Jenny's efforts go to waste, as she made the effort to speak with Mrs. Harty. So I feel that the least we can do is follow up with a letter to let our government representatives know how problems at GUZ are affecting us.

This letter will not push for policy changes. It will not push for any large administrative changes. It's goal will be to accomplish two things.

1) Allow those who are stuck in the black hole to actually speak with a knowledgable DOS representative and get a straight explaination of what's going on.

To this day, Alex and others have never received the story of what really happened to their petitions. They need to know. And this is consistant with Mrs. Harty's own goals for greater transparency.

2) Allow us, the petitioners, greater participation in the interview process. I do not buy GUZ's claim that there is not "enough space" in the interview room.

The petitioner should at least have an opportunity to speak to the VO before a denial is issued... if the petitioner is present.

These requests do not require any changes in policy or current operational procedures. They merely call for more courtesy on GUZ's part. That's all. But it is a huge step in helping us prevent further black holes.

Stay Tuned for the first draft of our group letter... coming this week.

Yes, Mari's case should definitely be highlighted if we want to talk about ridiculous and heartbreaking.

I didn't really go that much out of the way, Hank, since I'm already in BJ (though this town is expansive...!!), I exaggerate the effort. But I agree following up while all this is fresh in her mind is a good idea.

Absolutely Mari.

Your story needs to be heard. But no one can explain it better than you. Please write about it and PM it to me. It will go a long way in strengthening our case and sheding light on these ongoing problems.

All those who have suffered because of DOS incompetence, please send me your stories. We need to be heard.

I just sent an e-mail to Maura Harty informing her that a man who works where I do had his case sent to the Phillipines about the same time as mine, Noveber 2004.  His wife had her interview January 29, 2005.  We are still waiting for our P-4.

For whatever it's worth, the notary public who works at my bank (and notarized many of our documents) is a permanent resident from Morroco and he filed for a K1 visa for his Morrocan fiancee in November 2003. She arrived here in Portland in March 2004. That's 4 months start-to-finish for a citizen of Morroco. I was shocked how fast he got thru NSC. He was shocked to learn how long things took for Chinese beneficiaries.