So this visitor visa for parents takes only about 1 month to be approved ?

We've been married only for 5 month till now but we are expecting a baby in Jan. We want to have my mom come to help during the time for only couple of month. We are not rich, but my husband's salary is not that bad. I'm not currently working. My mom in China has retired for years, doesn't have extra work. My father retired from the government oo, but he's currently having another managment job in a private company. They are both at their mid 50's. I have one sister still going to college there.

If we only apply the visa for my mom, do you think it is positive for us to expect an approval? I haven't done many research on this one yet, just want to know the odds.

Thanks for any advice.

by the way, there are several cities in China offer the visa interview, such as, beijing, guangzhou, chendu, shanghai,shenyan...I wonder which one is the one our parents supposed to go to? Do we ask for an interview date after sending in the documents or the consulate office set a date themeselves for the applicants?

when apply, except the required forms and fees. Do we need to send in all the support documents, such as, parents' banking statement, property certificate, etc? Or we just send the forms and leave the evidence for interview only?

Hope somebody can give me some advice. thank you very much.

by the way, there are several cities in China offer the visa interview, such as, beijing, guangzhou, chendu, shanghai,shenyan...I wonder which one is the one our parents supposed to go to?

Hope somebody can give me some advice. thank you very much.

Where your parent's houkou is registered. Each of the US Consulates are responsible for certain provinces and direct municipalities. Find out which consulate is responsible for where your parents are registered. You can NOT just go to any US Consulate. There is ONLY one Consulate designated and responsible for each area.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some research. It seems that different consulate has different rules of the processing of the visa. For Beijing, they want you to apply online? Chengdu consulate seems more straight forward.

My parents live in Xi'an, Shaan'xi province, I wonder do they have to have the interview in Beijing or they can choose to go to Chengdu consulate. It's very confusing.

thanks for any info.

I did some research. It seems that different consulate has different rules of the processing of the visa. For Beijing, they want you to apply online? Chengdu consulate seems more straight forward.

My parents live in Xi'an, Shaan'xi province, I wonder do they have to have the interview in Beijing or they can choose to go to Chengdu consulate. It's very confusing.

thanks for any info.

There's no choice involved. Refer to my post #35.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=318648

Thanks for replying. But I went to Beijing consulate's website, there is no info for me to tell which cities or provinces belong to their range.

My guess is Beijing is where my parents shall go to, because I remember when I applied the visa to Canada years ago I had my interview in Beijing, so I assume it works the same for US consulate, Beijing is the one.

Just wanna make sure.

Edited by Aeris (see edit history)

Thanks for replying. But I went to Beijing consulate's website, there is no info for me to tell which cities or provinces belong to their range.

My guess is Beijing is where my parents shall go to, because I remember when I applied the visa to Canada years ago I had my interview in Beijing, so I assume it works the same for US consulate, Beijing is the one.

Just wanna make sure.

You're right Aeris. I checked on the US Embassy Beijing website and it does not tell you what provinces are part of the Beijing district. Stupid website!

I got the info for you from the US Consulate in Shanghai:

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/gen...nformation.html

"If you live in Beijing, Tianjin, Xinjiang, Qinghai, Gansu, Shaanxi, Ningxia, Shanxi, inner Mongolia, Hebei, Henan, Shandong, Hubei, Hunan, or Jiangxi, please click here."

So yes, if your parents are in Xian, then they will head to the Beijing Embassy to apply for their visa to the US.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

When applying, the Embassy website says you should bring all sorts of supporting documents, like proof of work, proof of property ownership, etc.

Neither the Embassy website, nor Tine's list specifies if all the supporting documents that are in Chinese need to be or must be translated into English. If so, that's alot of documents to get translated...also, do all the translations need to be certified? Meaning, my sister-in-law can translate into English pretty well, is it okay if she does it herself?

Do we ask for an interview date after sending in the documents or the consulate office set a date themeselves for the applicants? Or we just send the forms and leave the evidence for interview only?

The GUZ Embassy web site instructions for non-immigrant visas seem straight forward. http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/general_information.html

First, call the Visa Information Call Center http://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx

You pay your money, get a special number and then call the pay-for-help line and give them this number. The time clock you paid for starts ticking and you give the applicant's info to the phone center worker who also will schedule the interview. You do not send anything to the Consulate.

After you generate the required application on-line, print it and the person filling out the form and the applicant both sign it. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate the form, it must be original. Then the applicant hand carries the forms to the interview. Hand carry all supporting documents as well.

Good luck

Thanks. That helps alot.

2nd question:

If two people are applying, must they apply separately (two different appointments)? Or do they make one appointment, fill out two DS-156, and go together?

Can they be in there together at the same time?

Thanks. That helps alot.

2nd question:

If two people are applying, must they apply separately (two different appointments)? Or do they make one appointment, fill out two DS-156, and go together?

My in-laws had their interview(s) arranged by us for the same time and same date. This will become clear when you call the Visa Information Call Center. We filled out two 156s and two 157s ("All applicants 16 years of age and older must complete the DS-157 application form, which is one page.") Then we printed, signed and mailed them over there. Mom and Dad went in together, were interviewed together and were denied together.

Thanks. That helps alot.

2nd question:

My in-laws had their interview(s) arranged by us for the same time and same date. This will become clear when you call the Visa Information Call Center. We filled out two 156s and two 157s ("All applicants 16 years of age and older must complete the DS-157 application form, which is one page.") Then we printed, signed and mailed them over there. Mom and Dad went in together, were interviewed together and were denied together.

Dang.

Did they explain why they were denied?

Lots of people, thousands!, come here every year from all sorts of nations to vacation in our fine country. The US loves people to spend money, help relieve our negative trade balance. Is China a really bad country for people overstaying their visas?

Is Japan so much better than China for people going back?

My in-laws will provide pictures of their dog, proof of home ownership, proof of work, demonstration of work awards (demonstrating bright future at their job), notice of a business trip to Europe soon after their scheduled return to China, pictures of large family gatherings, and our invitation (offering them a late Hawaii honeymoon since we couldn't go back for their wedding). Is this going to be enough, do you think?