One more Visa in the bag

Yue interviewed and got her white slip Wed. Jan 5. We picked up the Visa Jan 6 and flew to Beihai on the 7th. The information about the inerview is a little sketchy now but I will try to pin her down on just what was asked and what was looked at. I did gather that she requested the interview be conducted in English but the VO soon decided that it would be better done in Chinese. I have expressed to Yue a need to get the accurate information to the group, and we will do so as soon as possible, but for now...

We (I should say they) are planning our wedding ceremony for the 13th before we depart for USA on the 14th. We have only been back here one full day and her sisters have almost come to blows. It will be a simple affair with a reception at her family's place following. Shangri-La was considered, but the relatives don't like to be sent home on schedule. I think I like them already.

Notes to travellers: 1) Under no circumstances allow the computer weenies at Victory to touch your computer. If you broadband doesn't work, suck it up and ask for the dial up number. Otherwise it may never work again. I have only just got mine working again today 2) China Southern e-ticket counter is completely unsympathetic that you are carrying luggage for a two week stay in China and GZ was not your final destination. A 20kg limit for GZ to Beihai. You will pay the overage on the baggage. 3) There is no Office Depot in GZ. The terms "office supplies" or "business supplies" have no meaning. Neither your pocket translator or even your fiance can help you find what you need. Asking the business center attendant (sweet girl) where she gets her paper, pens and staples, will only invite blank stares. Get your clear bags at home.

My thanks to everyone in this forum for the invaluable instruction and support. Without this group this might have been an impossible task. I would say you can't know what it means, but I think everyone that has been there, and is going there now knows exactly what it means.

Reporting live from Beihai

We (I should say they) are planning our wedding ceremony for the 13th before we depart for USA on the 14th.  

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE & YUE! :D :D

Are you having a "wedding celebration" or is this an "official marriage." I often wondered if it was possible to get "officially married" in China after getting the K1 visa. I always assumed this was not permitted, and if you received a K1 visa the marriage would have to take place in the USA. I assumed that if you got married in China, (even after receiving the visa) you could not enter the USA on a K1 visa. Anyone have a definitive answer about this?

Notes to travellers:   3)  There is no Office Depot in GZ.  The terms "office supplies" or "business supplies" have no meaning.  Neither your pocket translator or even your fiance can help you find what you need.  Asking the business center attendant (sweet girl) where she gets her paper, pens and staples, will only invite blank stares.  Get your clear bags at home.

:D Great News! :D Another White Slip!:angry:

Best of luck to the two of you!:angry:

Thanks for the heads up for buying supplies in GUZ! :P Was planning on getting these items there myself! :angry:

Are you having a "wedding celebration" or is this an "official marriage." I often wondered if it was possible to get "officially married" in China after getting the K1 visa. I always assumed this was not permitted, and if you received a K1 visa the marriage would have to take place in the USA. I assumed that if you got married in China, (even after receiving the visa) you could not enter the USA on a K1 visa. Anyone have a definitive answer about this?

We will not be registering the marriage in China. As Don said, that would render Yue's visa invalid. Anyway, the ceremony is for us and her family. We will consider ourselves married. Registration is for the government and holds no meaning for me outside the visa/immigration framework. We will register where and when they tell us to <_<

We will not be registering the marriage in China. As Don said, that would render Yue's visa invalid. Anyway, the ceremony is for us and her family. We will consider ourselves married. Registration is for the government and holds no meaning for me outside the visa/immigration framework. We will register where and when they tell us to <_<

frank1538 would wholeheartedly agree with you 100%!

The best to you both............................ :blink:

Thanks for the heads up for buying supplies in GUZ! :blink:  Was planning on getting these items there myself! <_<

We spent two days walking from the hotel to the upper end of Beijing Lu and back, through some very ineresting parts of GZ looking for a clear bag to consolidate all the paper. Narry a file folder. I finally found a clear plastic expanable file folder in the back of what appeared to be a school supply store. Yue missed it. I'm wondering... what is a guide good for? Just to keep you from getting run down by a taxi cab? Later we found clear plastic A5 size envelopes at the Community Store (two blocks along the canal from Victory). They are in the corner behind the cash register. We had to settle for the large clear bags from the photo shop to consolidate things. We then put those in the plastic laundry bag from the hotel. I told Yue to ditch the laundry bag if she had to, but they let her through with it.

We (I should say they) are planning our wedding ceremony for the 13th before we depart for USA on the 14th.  

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE & YUE! :rolleyes: :o

It takes a little common sense.

A legal marriage recognized by the official government where the marriage took place is recognized by the US. As noted in the excerpt below, a K-1 may be admitted to the United States for the purpose of concluding a marriage to the petitioner within a 90-day period. If they are legally married when the K-1 holder enters the US, they cannot conclude a marriage since they are already married - hence, the entry was invalid (read visa fraud).

While a K-1 holder in such a situation would most likely be admitted unless they told the immigration officer they got married already, the problem would occur at AOS time when presenting a marriage document where the marriage took place outside the US and before entry.

The work around might be to lie when getting a marriage license here by stating that you are single and eligible to marry - a very risky thing to do.

Thanks Don,

My common sense told me that a K1 couldn't get married in China without creating a problem somewhere down the road. I thought I would throw it out there to see if there might be a loophole somewhere. But obviously there isn't. Thanks for confirming that for me.