Let's play a game on the USCIS website.

I looked high and low, everywhere to try and see if I could figure out the what the heck they were talking about on the 864 when they mentioned (must fill in SSN or "A"-number here). My wife only has a phone #, so I filled in NA. I thought I should go back and actually make sure it was nothing to be worried about, since I wasn't 100% sure.

I also saw a reference to the "A-number" in visajourney.com, couldn't find the definition there either.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...php?pg=assembly

3. Provide both the receipt notice number and the "A"-Number as an identifier, if they are available.

I did eventually find the word that the "A" refers to on the USCIS website. Not where I would expect to see it however.

Having been an Ex-goverment employee myself, I thought I'd dig a little deeper over some things that I just assumed, vs. what was actually documented. I know the "E" in the term "E-filing" , is a no brainer, but is it documented? If you didn't know what the "E" already stood for and using the USCIS website as your only source for information, how easily can you find the actual definition of the letter "E".

Just to make this fun and prove a point (whatever my point is?)

Lets play a game. You have 15 minutes to find the actual word in the USCIS website that the letter "E" refers to. If you happen to already know the mystery word, try to actually find it printed out in the site. Go ahead and do a word search for it and look in the glossary too. Hope that helps.

Then after that's done, look for the word that the letter "A" stands for actually printed out. You have another 15 minutes.

(The document "burden time" on the I-865 is only 15 minutes.)

Keep in mind two points, while searching. www.uscis.gov

1. Attention to detail.

2. High School English class. Rule #1 when using acronyms.

Use the actual word when making reference to the acronym, then use the acronym freely through the rest of the doc.

I hope I'm not the only one that got stuck, given the "rules". Don't give it away if you found it. Keep it interesting for those people behind you.

Here's another thing pretaining to the website and the 864.

The document is a press release from 1997, the year is now 2005. How many years is "40 quarters of work" equal to? It's not what you think. It's debateable. Find the goverments answer in the paragragh following the statement "40 quarters of work".http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/ne.../affsupport.htm The term "deeming", do you know what it means?

I'm still trying to get over the fact that the "fillable" DS230 is still up at the website with no word to anyone except for me and Bahan that only the original that comes in the mail can be used.

let it go Doug....just let it go.... Forget that!:o :)

Even from the other sting about the ADDECO fasteners where do they go, how many? The office that mails the paper work doesn't give conscise answers, they only say "don't screw up." So when it comes time for the interview where all doing circles hope that we didn't "screw it up."

SS# is Social Security Number, which she will not have and I believe A is very short for Alien Registration Number.

And I agree with you 100%.. the full term should be used with or before any Acronyms. Also well written things go on to explain most all new terminology or field related words. It is simply called communication, is common sense and something that people are well aware of.

There is also a phrase... "If you can't dazzle them with brillance... baffle them with Bull**it!"

I think we all know which route these people are taking..:blink:

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

Mark, That's my point exactly. Thankyou.

Seems like we are all so "stupid" we need to be told in the documentation "don't screw up or you'll get rejected" over and over again. Instead of writing the procedure with the idea that the individuals (Their Customers) have either a. Never had to file immigration paperwork before. or b. English is their second language. I think that if they would take the time to spot check themselves, they could see why we seem like morons to them. Put the shoe on the other foot. There are many bulletin boards for us "stupid people" to go to for reference. Who is the customer? Immigration service? They service us or do we service them? They have all the authority and leverage. What can anyone say about it? Just continue to look like morons. I they fail to do their jobs correctly or in a timely manor can we fire them? Or hire another Immigration service? What is there motivation to perform at a higher level with no competition to push them to do a better job. Those terrorists were going to get the job done no matter what. I don't hold 911 solely to blame on the immigration service or George bush. The immigration service and George Bush didn't attack us. Duh! the terrorists did. I have thought about writing them a long letter to point out all the holes in the paperwork and questions about the process. If the immigration service, were run as a business, I think they would be out of business. Just now knocking out the back log? I was looking at a bunch of pre 911 timelines. I got sick feeling. Hang George Bush and the Immigration service responsible for not protecting us? Be real. just like they felt the need to protect us from Alex's wife too.

When it comes to Federal documentation and paperwork, problems are so easy to blame on the stupid people. Yea and who can hold them accountable to do their job? We the people? Sure uh huh. Funny how when the whole Chad issue came about 4 years ago, there was a sudden outbreak of stupid people in Florida too.

Now that I am understanding this process better now, the more I see areas for improvement. Just a little disappointed that for as long as immigration has been in "business". We are seeing all these reoccurring problems. When we and our wives show up for the interview in GZ, they SHOULD already know before they meet the person they are interviewing, if they are secure or not to be granted the visa. I think the interview SHOULD be the last line of defense, not the 1st. I don't think it's right to be so worried about having to be with our loved ones for the interview. Or that we should feel "lucky" that we were granted the visa. Immigration matters are such a concern there should be no luck involved at all. I need to believe that a VO from GZ will be able to single handedly be able to detect when they are being lied to, who the terrorists are, or determine which are fraudulent marriages for the purpose of coming to the US because of a 15 minute interview? What about the last freakin' 1yr or 2 that just passed because we were waiting on them? It counts for nothing? wait all that time only to get rejected over a 15minute interview is ridiculous. News: The criminals, frauds and liars all practice crimes, frauds and lying. Only Boss Hog and Rosco P. Coaltrain could be that good. They almost got away with the crime boss, but we stopped them in the last 15 minutes of the 1 to 2 years of the process. Good job, go get em' flash

:rolleyes: there is something wrong with that.

The A-number comes from the Alien Registration Act of 1940, thus the AR-11 form.

40 quarters = 10 years. I think that can be found on the SSA website, or is it the IRS web?.................I forget!...:rolleyes:

TYWY, They wrote that 40 quarters is equal to 5 years. It's in the article. I actually took the time to do the math too. My sillyness again sorry.

The A-number comes from the Alien Registration Act of 1940, thus the AR-11 form.

40 quarters = 10 years. I think that can be found on the SSA website, or is it the IRS web?.................I forget!...:rolleyes:

TYWY, They wrote that 40 quarters is equal to 5 years. It's in the article. I actually took the time to do the math too. My sillyness again sorry.

Thats funny, did you use a calculator?

Thats funny, did you use a calculator?

i ran out out of fingers. :o

I have written before and I firmly stand by it.. as long as there is no pressure of job loss, there will be no rush to complete the job timely, effeciently, or even really show much care. I see in my work, whenever someone new starts, and has ideas, thoughts and attitudes to improve and make things better, they get swallowed up in governmental mess, and soon that light in their eyes fades.... and they become a lifelong governmental employee.... hehehehe... see it all the time. :)

We all know that the terrorist only has to get things done correctly once, where as the immigration officer has to get it right all the time. That makes all the advantage to the people attempting to perpetrate the crime. I dont blame Bush or this administration, I find it hard to believe that Jan 20, 2001 that visas only took two weeks, and Jan 21, 2001 it changed to a year or longer. Maybe I am wrong, but it probably took years for this system to build in faults, mistakes, delays, and mismangement... and we can only hope our cases make it... I feel for what Alex is going through.. hope it all works out eventually. :blink:

The immigration services is a tough business. There is no ideal, efficient way of running it. This goes back as far as the days of European immigration and Ellis Island at the turn of the last century.

And here of late, the immigration services really got a thrashing and thoroughly embarressed when after 6 months, one of the 9/11 hijackers received his visa approval in the mail. Then, with the enactment of the Patriot Act 2001, who would be suprised about things slowing down?

The immigration services is a tough business. There is no ideal, efficient way of running it. This goes back as far as the days of European immigration and Ellis Island at the turn of the last century.

And here of late, the immigration services really got a thrashing and thoroughly embarressed when after 6 months, one of the 9/11 hijackers received his visa approval in the mail. Then, with the enactment of the Patriot Act 2001, who would be suprised about things slowing down?

Thanks for revalidating my point about having to look elsewhere than the source for answers. The two websites I have listed in the links in my signature have the entire proccess laid out in a simple, easy to read procedure. Both of the links have everything you need in an easy to explain and legible format. No babbling over anyones heads to make the proccess sound more complicated than it really is. It's really not that difficult and complicated to get the visa. The goverment only presents it that way. Throw in a little intimidation, spread the information required to assist the user in the paperwork all over the place, and constantly remind people not to screw up and see what happens. There not really helpful at all. They make us want to feel sorry for them. they make it all difficult for themselves.

take a look at the 2 links and then take a look at USCIS.gov . you'll see what I mean. The goverment should have a step by step template or a checklist.

1. 130 to CSC

2. wait for the NOA1

3. Send the NOA1 with the 129F to Chi town

Note: while we are doing this, you can save time by having the next items ready.

Like this one... http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/newshints78.htm

So easy. Think about it. We have the whole process laid out in our timelines. Look around on USCIS for anything in this order. Can't be found because it doesn't exisist. Why not? The State department site is the same way. Both sites have out of date data on them. They're are inconsistancies between real life and the documentation. The organization of the material is terrible. It takes people like us to show them the best way. They know we are here....Ni hao? They can't know how to do it better, until they see it from our side of the fence. We should be working together to improve the process and make it better for both of us, instead of Us vs. Them.

Take a Pro-active approach vs a Re-active approach.

For example I noticed right away in the process about the Notarization and Single Status. How many signatures are required?

If you can find it...USCIS says 3. Wrong!!! They left one out. The county clerks office needs to validate the 1st notary. Both notary's have to be from the same county. Try finding that info at .gov .

this is really cute:

What does Caveat Emptor! mean? http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/forminfo.htm

Caveat Emptor! Many non-governmental websites offer Immigration forms. Some will allow you to download them for a fee. These sites are not affiliated with USCIS, and these sites may not have the latest official versions of forms. In some circumstances, use of older forms may result in your application or petition being denied or delayed. Changes made to forms are always recorded under What's New in Forms and reflected on the Form Entry Page for that form.

They think they know about "the other sites". (Like this one.)

Sorry to say i think that "those other sites" are where we need to go, to understand what your site is trying to tell us. Where's thier bulletin board? everyone else has one. Look at microsoft.com, users share information. but not at USCIS.gov, They even come out and say they don't support or recommend it. (In an indirect way.)

Here's the intimidation and "don't screw up sentence again."

"don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up...."

In some circumstances, use of older forms may result in your application or petition being denied or delayed. -- Really? Really? Really? Geez thanks, because i'm too stupid to think that if I did it the wrong way, it would be a "bad" thing for me. They say it over and over.

Click the link for "Visa Services" on the USCIS. gov website. Do it Please!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/index.htm

the link takes you to a redirect to the DOS site, but the link is broken. Dough Bart!!! Have to go to the "other site" to get my docs. thanks again USCIS. I see your links bashing the Chinese and us mail order husbands works good though. You guys are good. really.

and again... Where do I get help if i need it?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/abou...to%20Get%20Help

shhhh...Here's our little secret, since your our friend and we like you.

***TIP: As an immigrant you should be aware that dishonest people have made websites that look like government websites to confuse you and take advantage of you. Remember that http://www.uscis.gov is the official website of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Mengxin: It's called job security.

It they made everything clear, straightforward and easy to understand, then they couldn't justify having so many paper pushers pushing papers around for a year.

What gets me is that they have time to spew out worthless biased reports on their website under the guise of providing us with a service.

You would think that out of the hundreds of pages on the USCIS website, they would of put ONE page that details all of the steps of the K1 or K3 process, simple and straightforward like the link you posted.

Did you read about the backlog elimination reports? They are all proud of themselves because in 9 months they reduced the backlog some amount like 1.3 million to 1.1 million. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the percentage was less than 2%. A 2% reduction in 9 months and they claim the entire backlog will be eliminated in 2 years. Are they really too stupid to see the reality of their comments or do they think that we are that stupid also?????

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500502135

Here's a little somethin on the 40 quarters from the SSA web. There is some sort of stipulation mentioning the 5 year thing but like the IRS, you need an attorney to decipher all this!................ :blink:

Looks like they are saying that the average immigrant becomes eligible because they either die-leave the country or get 40 quarters--I assume it takes 10 years to get forty quarters so we have to assume that either death or leaving the country or becoming a citizen is a much shorter process.

ORRRRR, perhaps UCIS just can't count---laterally, 1 years has a magic way of becoming two in UCIS land.