Fei's K-1 Interview

Hey everyone! Got back yesterday --- 12 days in China starting with a trip to Sanya, to "decompress" a very nervous Fei, and also to work some on questions that might come up. Before I found the Candle, I thought our visa was a slam-dunk. Well prepared initial document, and Fei's English is quite good. I joined about the time Bing and Carl were going through their own private hell, and of course, have seen several other unintended disasters here since. Alex and his SO being the latest.

I NOW TRULLY BELIEVE THAT THE PROCESS IS IN AN INTENTIONAL STATE OF FLUX REGARDING THE RULES AND POLICIES FOR EXAMINING K VISAS SPECIFICALLY TO STAY AHEAD OF VISA FRAUD.

The problem with that policy, of course is that we, the US Citizens petitioning have ZERO rights to a due process --- that gets TOTALLY trashed in this dragnet. Look at the difference between the K visa process and say, criminal law. Under our system of justice, we let many criminals avoid punishment because of the rule of law, and individual rights. That sure as S-t aint happening here! State is determined to find all possible visa fraud --- to avoid to the extent possible ANY fraudulent applications from entering the US. If sincere, honest applicants get trampled in the process --- so be it.

Over the months observing here at the Candle, I concluded that our application had two identifyable weaknesses: First, because I had been through the visa process twice before at Guangzhou to adopt my girls, a very cynical VO might conclude that I was gaming the system, to insincerely "create" a family. (of course, the fflip side, and the one we prepared to argue, was that this showed a sincere interest in Chinese culture and the people of China).

The second weakness, and SURE ENOUGH! The one the VO focused in on, was that Fei's first husband was a citizen of Hong Kong, and Canada, (he abandoned her to mover permenately to Canada). She drew the VO which the 001 girls refer to as young black superman> A very intense (and handsome, according to Fei) black man with an overbearing manner, who apparently prepares more that some other VOs.

He speaks very fast, and doesn't allow hesitation for answers, and in Fei's case, didn't even offer to conduct the interview in Mandarin, but launched right in in English. To begin, he asked her 3 times to say my name. And then quickly focused in on her ex-husband, and if she was really trying to go to North American to be reunited, and if she had ever been to Canada before. Fei stood her ground, and was forceful in her answers --- he demanded BOTH our passports even though I had told her not to produce mine unless asked. He examined entry/exit stamps closely in hers --- looking for inconsistant entries. There were none --- and she passed ~!!

Sorry, out of time! will say more about the places next time!

--- Kim

Kim: Glad to hear you made it!!!

YoumusthavegotthesameVOthatNDJarrettgot!!! hehehe

Does this guy think he gets paid by the number of visas he processes and that's why he runs through them? You would think he could be a little more compassionate and aware of the language/culture differences and make a better effort to communicate.

On the good side, he has passed the 2 people I know that got him . . .

Congrats! ;) :greenblob: :redblob:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

(But most importantly, thanks all at the Candle, for your many informative posts!! )

I don't know how many poor people involved in the process make it without the Candle, but I'm certain that together, we have a much higher percentage of success.. You are either a Candle member or you're........ raw meat.....

And yes, Carl, I think this interview was a close enough call, that my being there ---- with the experience learned here definately made the difference between a Visa and a blue slip.

Now --- the places: Flew from Portland on NWA on their new plane to Narita, then directly into CAN. The plane is Great, very comfortable even in coach, and this route is still new enough that it isn't fully booked. So if you want to streach out, with empty seats around you this is the way to go --- also the best price from the PNW.

One night in GZ then to Sanya. Cheap. Less than $90 US rt. Stayed at a very small place called the "Romantic Seaview Hotel." --- not much of a seaview, actually, but less than 200 ft. from the beach. The rooms are impressive with tile throughout (no carpet, so even though there are no non-smoking rooms, there is no stale smell.) Walk in curved glass shower in the large bathroom --- very classy. Place caters to Chinese, and has a Chinese attitude ---- don't expect respect at the front desk ---- I sensed this had something to do with the mixed couple thing, but hey, its less than $30 US per night.

Actually, all of Sanya caters to China. We got a free car with driver for the whole first day ---- (didn't actually know that when we booked) --- this is apparently fairly common ---but there is a catch... They want you to go to some of the tourist attractions with big ticket price tags (they get a big kick-back apparently) ---- I refused to go to the ones the driver had in mind, but it worked out ok, because I substituted a couple that I had researched, and wanted to go too.

Sanya is basicly three areas: north to south:

--- Yalong Bay Nationa Resort District --- this is one of the longest beaches I have seen, and stunning --- and empty. But look out! If you book here, you are captured. There is nothing close to these resorts (except other resorts) --- so they are going to getcha, both in the wallet, and if you don't like what they offer you're SOL.

The attraction we visted from this area was Wu Zhi Zhou Island ---- a couple miles east ---spectacular, but very controled... no freedom to roam... I was going to do some open water swimming, but the life guard wouldn't let me... ended up building a sand castle ... on the beach... this is the first time I have seen bright white coral sand flecked with pink coral --- just beautiful.... and the water is pristine (throughtout the Sanya area) --- went back, and got the driver to drive us to another location to take me to a smaller no-name island, Even here, the people that conroled the dock (and diving rentals) were reluctant to let me swim on my own ---- took Fei's wrath to get them to back down.... spectacular coral formations and beautiful fish, but sadly, it looked like over half the coral was dead.... global warming?

Out of time...... have to make dinner --- more later.....