visa denied

Carl,

I will add my condolence. Though it is not over, just one more hoop to jump through. It is hard to believe what they put us through. How can they sleep at night knowing the emotional hardship they put people through. What goes around comes around, it works both ways for good or for bad. Some day they will get theirs.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't seen the blue slip. Bing tried to fax it to me last night but the fax machine where I work isn't compatable with the ones in China. She tried it from two different places. Bing will be back in Nanning today and we will talk extensively tonight I am sure. I will get the ball rolling on the visa and plane tickets tomorrow. The next question up for grabs is I want to take my laptop with me since I will likely need the resources of the internet while there. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100. I need to know what I need for power supply since China is 220 and the best way for me to connect to the web.

I have read every response here in your rapidly expanding thread, but in reference to getting a visa fast, just do it at the border in SZ at LoWu station. Fly in to HK, take the trains to LoWu, there is a little booth in the station that does visas in about 3 hours. It's kind of boring wait but it's great in a pinch.

If you need further details about how to get there and where it is just email me.

BTW, I was really bummed to hear of this situation. My heart goes out to the both of you.

Carl,

I wouldn't make a "big stink" about it, but I would make it VERY clear to the consulate when your fiancee goes back that you flew all the way across the world ON A MOMENT'S NOTICE to help Bing because of this situation.

I wouldn't point fingers or try to distribute blame, I would just make sure that they understand that your relationship is important enough to you to make that long journey, and what you are going through to preserve that relationship.

P.J.

This whole situation is so upsetting to me. It is an injustice that none of us knows how to confront and one that many of us face in the near future.

In some ways, when some of us tell you to be strong Carl, we're also trying to brace ourselves for the same possible injustice.

I don't know how I can possibly help, I don't know about quick visas or discounted plane tickets. I don't have a video camera that will make the perfect VHS for you. I can't teach you a crash course in Chinese. And if that wasn't enough, I live in Denver, but I will do anything else I can to help. Whatever it may be.

Godspeed Carl, for all of us who have yet to recieve the coveted visa. Your strength and persistence will be a source of comfort and strength for the rest of us.

Thank you all so much. I just checked airfares again and it seems that the price has gone down to HK and up to GZ. It is looks now like HK may be the best option. How long does it take to get to GZ , how much does it cost, are you sure you can still get a visa at the border? There have been some changes lately in Chinas visa procedure I believe.

Guest Long_strider

Carl,

I have done the HK to GZ trip twice on the bus. I think it takes about 3 hours. The cost wasn't too much. I'm thinking about 40 dollars. You catch the bus right at the airport. There is a little hassle getting off the bus going thru a check at the border and getting back on the bus. But otherwise not a problem.

There is also a train. I took that once from GZ to HK. Nice ride. Don't recall the expense.

There is also a boat up the Pearl river. Never done that so don't know much about that process.

Never had to get the visa in HK, but have heard that it is relatively easy. Not sure about the costs. The changes I have heard about and experienced are related to getting the visa thru and agent or in person. You can no longer individual mail in the visa request as I have done in the past. Last time I went, I used visaexpress services. I fedex the application, passport and fees to Washington DC on a Saturday. Got it back on Friday. A little expensive this way, but not a problem.

If you buy your ticket through a travel agency, they can also arrange for the visa (for a fee, or course).

I'll check with Yuqing this evening about this and send you an email.

I'll send you a draft of the letter later via email.

Mi.

are you sure you can still get a visa at the border? There have been some changes lately in Chinas visa procedure I believe.

Research this very carefully before you leave. As I recall. China is retaliating and tighten visa procedures from Americans. I think one of them is no longer issuing visas upon arrival.

Be very very careful about leaving without a visa.

Edit - found this on China Daily:

Some US citizens are refused to enter China

(Shenzhen Daily/chinadaily.com.cn)

Updated: 2004-04-07 11:11

Beijing immigration authorities had rejected several U.S. citizens from entering China since China began to tighten visa measures for Americans, the Beijing Youth Daily reported Tuesday.

The Americans were refused because they did not hold valid visas, said the paper, quoting sources with the city’s immigration authorities. The number of rejected U.S. citizens and other details were not revealed.

The news came after the Xiamen immigration authorities rejected at least two U.S. citizens from entering China. Police found their visas had expired and sent them back, the Shenzhen Daily reported Monday.

In Shanghai, three Americans were also denied entry into China because they did not have visas, and they could no longer apply for visa upon arrival at the Chinese ports since this practice for Americans has been suspended.

A nationwide figure on US citizens who have been refused to enter China is not available yet.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry required all Americans to obtain visas before coming to China after the United States refused a Chinese request to review the procedure of fingerprinting Chinese applicants for U.S. visas.

Previously Americans could apply for visas at Chinese ports of entry.

Carl,

I agree with Stats, don't risk going to China without a visa in hand. Remember how easy and assured it was supposed to be for Bing to get her visa? And yeah I also remember reading something recently ... last week? ... about China tightening up their visa issuance policies for Americans, simply in retailiation for the fingerprint/photo thing. I remeber that was mostly about business visas ... but I think it also had something to do about no longer being able to get visas at the border. I realize downtown HK can't be considered a "bordertown" neccessarily, but still ... play it safe!

I wouldn't take any kind of visa for granted these days. Imagine being stuck in HK for X days because you can't get a stupid visa. That would be another "hurdle" that could send you over the edge!

Carl ... this is your loved one we are talknig about, don't risk it, get the visa before you go (if you are 100% certain you must go).

Yet another visa agency recommendation ... I used

www.mychinavisa.com

and had great service. They also offer same-day service, so theorectically you could have a Chinese visa in your hand within 72 hours (for an outrageous $160).

Was Bing given a time deadline? Do you have to go over there so quickly?

Carl,

I am fairly new to this board, but the closeness of it's members is obvious. It scares me to death that Ning may go through what you and Bing are experiencing now.

I crossed the border from Shenzhen to HK just last Wednesday and there was an office of the China travel service in the customs area of the HK side. I was not concerned with a Chinese visa at the time so all we did was book a hotel from there. China travel service in Kowloon booked a ferry trip to Zhongshan for us and the visa business was booming in that office. I was the only American there, so I don't accurately know any difficulties you may experience. Call them. I get my visas from the consulate in Los Angeles. It takes one week.

Phil

yes, I think you should have the visa in hand before you head to China, due to the 2 government new policy for the visa things, I live in Shenzhen, I know, the foreigners can get the visa in the border, you only pay the $$$, but for the US passport, I think they change the new policy recently. oh, by the way, from HK to GuangZhou, only take 2 more hours by the train, and will cost you around HK$200 something, good luck to you :lol: