visa denied

Bing just called. The VO doesn't think we can communicate well enough. He wants me to make a five minute video speaking Chinese. I am truly devastated. I know others have beaten this before but I don't have a clue where to begin. HELP!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Long_strider

Carl,

Sorry to hear about this snag.

Not sure what the best way to proceed. They didn't accept the emails and messenger notes?

Maybe Don has a suggestion or has heard of others that were successful in running up against this problem.

Mi

Carl,

I am just speachless.....

Make sure you let Bing know that she is not a failure, nor did she fail you in any way. This is just another hurdle that the two of you have to work through together.

I thought you and Bing talk on the phone EVERY DAY, although I know you also augment it with Messenger.

Don't you both have video cameras on your computers?

Any way you could make a tape (or MPG, I assume) of side-by-side images of the two of you in a nightly conversation?

Figure out what you and Bing are capable of providing, then send an e-mail to GZ asking if they will accept it. Maybe you will have to make another trip over there.

I am very sorry to hear the news..... It is heartbreaking that our country would do things like this.

----- Clifford -----

Guest Long_strider

Carl,

I have a video camera and can help you with the video. But I cannot help much in the Chinese speaking situation, my skills amount to saying "nihao."

Yuqing and I can write a letter to the VO saying that we know both of you and have talked and met several times. We can attest to the validity of your relationship. I'm not sure if this would help, but we would be glad to do this.

Mi

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Carl,

I assume you and Bing have been calling each other on the telephone regularly, and not just conversing by computer.

TRACK DOWN ALL OF YOUR PHONE RECORDS FOR THE LAST 11 MONTHS IF POSSIBLE.

If you can get them in verifiable electronic format (scanned???), all the better.

E-Mail them to the consulate.

And / or, if Bing has a copy of them with her, ask her to return to the consulate today with the phone records to show that you have been talking on a regular basis.

There is absolutely no way they could deny that you are able to converse with each other if you have been talking with each other for 7 hours a week for the last year.

They would be pretty dull conversations if neither of you could understand each other :P

Anyway, just an idea.

------ Clifford ------

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Right now I am so angry I can't see straight. I just talked to Bing again and she said she had window 11. It was a white woman with the initials RW I think. Bing gave her the video of us talking on Yahoo messenger and she said it was no good. She wants a video of me speaking Chinese. She said the VOs on either side of her were very nice and women there passed. Perhaps I better dust off the visa card and go to GZ like I should have done in the first place. I need information and a battle plan. Right now I am beat because I didn't sleep well last night. Looks like another of the same tonight.

Carl....Dude! Wasn't expecting to hear this news at all! I'm shocked!

Do you speak Chinese? Do you I/M in English? Is Bing's English really that poor? Seriously, what are the options?

If you go back to China, what do you want to accomplish? You know you'll never speak to a VO...maybe someone else, perhaps. They really want to separate petitioners from beneficiaries. From the stories I've read, you wouldn't have much luck changing anyone's mind at GZ. God, I hate that place.

I remember when you first started posting here on CFL. You began the process at about the time our stuff went to NVC. You've always given great advice (well, except for politics) and have helped many. I hope you'll get over this snag so you can get Bing here and be happy like we are now. I can't think of anything to offer you as far as help...but you certainly have my support.

Carl,

I don't know if you have been saving your chat records. We have kept all ours except the first couple when I realized we were not saving them. I know you can download them to a disk or CD and you can show them the actual conversations you are having. I am interested in this because that is how we communicate every day. We use Yahoo messenger and I hope that it will not held against us. The internet and technology has made it much easier to keep in contact than sending letters by snail mail. You would think that the VO would be happy that you talk everyday.

I would look into an appeal and if necessary start thinking about writing to your Congressman and get his office involved. Show them all the copies of your documentation and then let USCIS do some squirming.

I hope all the best for you. We are all here to support you.

David

Carl:

I don't know what to say! They did not ask her for a video speaking English??? Seems strange these guys change everything at the drop of a hat. I think you can send an e-mail to whats her name the head of GZ McDonald?? I don't remember but maybe that would work I think it would be eaiser for her to do a video in English there.. I would try that route see what the head honcho says if that would work. Keep the faith there is an answer! Oh also contact your congressman for their input,, sometime that helps!

Mike

Carl i am so sorry to hear this , but not to worry

this soon shall pass.

i am using a software call PIMSLEUR QIUICK & SIMPLE MANDARIN CHINESE

# 1-800-831-5497 or web address www.pimsleur.com

once again hang in there.

my prayers are with both of you.

resp

This is the most unexpected news I've heard. What a pisser.

Carl, you have an army of letter writers here, and I'm sure many of us would be willing to write in on your and Bing's behalf - don't know how much good it'll do, but we're here for you.

Try to get some specifics from Bing on exactly what the VO wants. Does she want to see you speaking Chinese by yourself? Is she looking for a tape of you two talking? How long should the tape be?.

When I've heard of this in the past, it is usually a request for a five minute tape of of the two people conversing with each other. If this is your case, you'll probably have to go to China so you two can be together to produce the tape.

One thing I do want to mention. Just like in the movies or on TV, making a tape requires some "rehearsal", if you know what I mean.

Let us know how we can help.

Frank

Carl;

I'm just stunned to hear this. Our heart goes out to you and Bing.

As always you have some great people here with great advice so you certainly are not alone on this one.

Once you exhale on this one and get the wind back in your sails it is just another hump in the road. By the way I sometimes sign emails with an added YFH Y=you F= ? guess :o and H=Hump I figure people don't know what it means but it does make them wonder!! Feel free to use it in your correspondence to GZ.

If you do choose to come to China, drop us an email if we can be of help, I'm just over the boarder of HK in Shenzhen, with Mini Digital Video camera in hand and Pinnacle Studio 8 and CD burner for a nice VCD of you and Bing chatting. And as Frank mentions :o plenty of time to make the right tape.

Mark and Bea

They want a five minute video of me speaking Chinese in VHS format. From what Bing tells me the woman seemed to be only interested in her english skills. She wouldn't even look at the video of us talking on Yahoo, our phone records or archives of us talking on Yahoo messenger. Bing is faxing the blue slip to my work. I'm willing to go to GZ and I suppose I will have to make a video of some sort. My concern over that though is the format they want. It seems to me that if the issue is really communication that a five minute video of us talking would suffice. She has that but the VO said it was no good. Anyone have a clue how I can make a VHS format video in GZ?