Coronavirus/COVID in the U. S. & Elsewhere

Greg.D.

I called a few places this morning (Trader Joe's, Costco, local supermarket) to ask how crowded and well-stocked they were. Trader Joe's and Costco both had very long lines out the door, partly because they now limit the number of shoppers inside at any time. Went to the local supermarket for a booster run around 10am and it was pretty empty. An employee told me the store is beyond packed from 7am-10am when it's fully stocked, but quiet throughout the rest of the day.

Things that were sold out by 10am: cheap meat (chicken legs/thighs, cheaper cuts of pork and beef), frozen vegetables, hand sanitizer and toilet paper. No sales at all so it was a pricey run. Stocked up on several racks of ribs, various cuts of pork, and two whole chickens, and hot dogs. We're good for at least another week.

At this point my wife wants to make sure we have a 20-day supply of "good" food at all times (mostly meat in the freezer), and another 20 days of backup food (beans, peanut butter, nuts, etc.), in case shit hits the fan like in Italy.

Also, new house law implemented by my wife: everyone in the house jogs 30 minutes on the treadmill every day to strengthen the immune system and increase lung capacity :sweating_buckets:

Everybody jogs on the treadmill, even the kids? I kind of like it, but why not go outside?

Our 11 year old jogs as well (actually, speed walks with an incline). Our 1.5 year old is excused as she runs around pretty much the whole day. :happydance:

It's 34F here - still a bit on the cold side to be running outside for 30 minutes... :cold: We do take short walks each day in our neighborhood to get some sun/fresh air, or just sit out on the deck.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My wife and I go to a linear park every morning, weather permitting, and do a 5K round trip walk. The park follows a desert wash and is only 200 - 300 feet wide in most places. However, the amount of wildlife that inhabits the park is amazing. You can see a lot of different birds, including quail and hummingbirds, rabbits, ground squirrels, etc. This morning there were several ducks and some geese doing flyovers on their way to some nearby man made lakes. In addition to the morning walk, I run four days a week as well.

My wife's daughter keeps telling her that we shouldn't be out walking. We're out the door by 6 a.m. so there are very few people around.

I called a few places this morning (Trader Joe's, Costco, local supermarket) to ask how crowded and well-stocked they were. Trader Joe's and Costco both had very long lines out the door, partly because they now limit the number of shoppers inside at any time. Went to the local supermarket for a booster run around 10am and it was pretty empty. An employee told me the store is beyond packed from 7am-10am when it's fully stocked, but quiet throughout the rest of the day.

Things that were sold out by 10am: cheap meat (chicken legs/thighs, cheaper cuts of pork and beef), frozen vegetables, hand sanitizer and toilet paper. No sales at all so it was a pricey run. Stocked up on several racks of ribs, various cuts of pork, and two whole chickens, and hot dogs. We're good for at least another week.

At this point my wife wants to make sure we have a 20-day supply of "good" food at all times (mostly meat in the freezer), and another 20 days of backup food (beans, peanut butter, nuts, etc.), in case shit hits the fan like in Italy.

Also, new house law implemented by my wife: everyone in the house jogs 30 minutes on the treadmill every day to strengthen the immune system and increase lung capacity :sweating_buckets:

Everybody jogs on the treadmill, even the kids? I kind of like it, but why not go outside?

Our 11 year old jogs as well (actually, speed walks with an incline). Our 1.5 year old is excused as she runs around pretty much the whole day. :happydance:

It's 34F here - still a bit on the cold side to be running outside for 30 minutes... :cold: We do take short walks each day in our neighborhood to get some sun/fresh air, or just sit out on the deck.

How is your step daughter adjusting to life in the USA? Not great timing for her, but what can you do?

• Like 1

How is your step daughter adjusting to life in the USA? Not great timing for her, but what can you do?

Thanks for asking. Her adjustment was about as easy as it could have gone - she is a real trooper. Her first day at school was a little rough but after that she loved going to elementary school here. Fortunately her class had a few new students this year (one from Japan, India, and Ecuador) so they formed a little friendship and English study group, and she didn't feel out of place at all. I remember how traumatizing it was to switch schools within the same city when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, she handled it the change great

Hearing that school is pretty much done for the year was heartbreaking to her. We're homeschooling now (2 hours in the AM, 2 in the PM - mostly English and Math) and I'm guessing virtual classes will start in April.

• Like 1

A coworker died yesterday morning from the coronavirus. He was in a conference call with us just the day before (well, I heard him call his name during roll call).

I last worked with him on Friday the 13th. I'll have more details this afternoon but I am waiting to hear if we all get tested. This guy had lush health insurance and was going to retire this year. He lived alone but another coworker went to check on him and found him dying. He died in his arms as he tried to get him to breathe.

Good thing we were shut down last Monday (the 16th). Could have been worse. Every story is a one off anecdote and we need the state to assemble the bigger epidemiological picture. I am not sure he even saw a doctor for this. He did have a regular appointment last Monday for something else.

So, you know, it's real and we are one unwanted phone call away from finding out it is has kicked in our front door and invited itself in.

• Like 1

A coworker died yesterday morning from the coronavirus. He was in a conference call with us just the day before (well, I heard him call his name during roll call).

I last worked with him on Friday the 13th. I'll have more details this afternoon but I am waiting to hear if we all get tested. This guy had lush health insurance and was going to retire this year. He lived alone but another coworker went to check on him and found him dying. He died in his arms as he tried to get him to breathe.

Good thing we were shut down last Monday (the 16th). Could have been worse. Every story is a one off anecdote and we need the state to assemble the bigger epidemiological picture. I am not sure he even saw a doctor for this. He did have a regular appointment last Monday for something else.

So, you know, it's real and we are one unwanted phone call away from finding out it is has kicked in our front door and invited itself in.

That's terrifying to hear. We've also been working fully remote since about March 12.

One thing I noticed is that the two oldest guys at our company (both in their mid/late 60s, one retires next month) have been, by far, the most cavalier about this virus not stopping their plans. One was even still planning to travel to Korea in March for vacation until Delta cancelled the flight.

Folks, unless it's urgent (food, medicine, beer), stay at home !!

• Like 1

from The Hill and other sources

US now leads the world in known coronavirus cases

The U.S. had more than 82,404 cases as of Thursday evening, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, vaulting to the top spot amid ramped up testing.
The milestone is a foreboding distinction for the United States, setting off alarms that the epidemic continues to get worse in the country.
Experts have raised warnings that the U.S. trajectory is continuing to climb. The U.S. had more than 14,000 new cases on Wednesday, according to a New York Times tracker, and the number of new cases announced each day continues to climb.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/488645-study-nearly-half-of-covid-19-patients

New study finds nearly half of coronavirus patients experience digestive issues

Chinese researchers analyzed data from more than 200 COVID-19 patients admitted to hospitals in the Hubei province and found almost half said their main complaints were digestive symptoms.

Story at a glance

• The study found 48.5 percent of participants experienced symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
  • The most common issues associated with novel coronavirus are respiratory symptoms, such as coughing or shortness of breath.
  • Patients without digestive issues were more likely to be cured and discharged from the hospital.
Edited by Greg.D. (see edit history)

The neighborhood had an impromptu block party yesterday. The music was blaring. The people were imbibing alcohol. Kids were playing about. Many people dropped by, one pushing a baby in a stroller. My wife was having conniptions just watching them. Meanwhile, I was standing in our yard with an N95 mask on waiting for my niece and her husband to show up to put the grill back on the deck. Seems I was the subject of debate by the partiers.

After my niece and her husband left, I had to sanitize the deck and outdoor furniture, then strip naked and take a shower. I wasn't allowed to invite them in. The only part I don't like is that she keeps shooting me in the face with Lysol. I think that I will die of lysolitis before I die of the virus.

If I go out shopping, I have to wear an N95 mask and safety glasses. It freaks people out. It won't be long before she makes me suit up in a full-faced P100 mask and gloves. I have yet to see another person wearing an N95 mask. The last time I was in Costco, I did see one Asian man and an elderly white man wearing surgical masks. The woman at the entrance freaked when she saw me. I don't complain. It's the right thing to do, and, it gives me practice for when the crap hits the fan in a couple to weeks.

My wife decided it was best for her to do the shopping, since she doesn't trust me to follow the rules. But, now, they have special hours for seniors, so I do the shopping.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This has nothing to do with the CV-19 . About a year ago the wife went into a restroom at one of the local Wal-Marts and cane out telling me that there was a Chinese lady in there washing her credit card with hand soap and then drying it off with one of the air dryers. I am catching hell over this virus thing.

My wife decided it was best for her to do the shopping, since she doesn't trust me to follow the rules. But, now, they have special hours for seniors, so I do the shopping.

Same deal for me. The Al Bundy in me says roll with it.

I am adapting to being with with the three year old 24/7. But, preschool was really good for him so we’re trying hard to keep him evolving as a human.

I am adapting to being with with the three year old 24/7. But, preschool was really good for him so we’re trying hard to keep him evolving as a human.

We're forced to home school now. The first day didn't go so well. After criticizing his writing style, my six-year-old punched me in the stomach and called me a big fat idiot. I learned to give him more break time. My wife had to substitute for me a couple of days. She told me that if she ever had to do it again, she would commit suicide.

It's was going better until the last couple of days. He's getting annoyed. Tells me I am the meanest daddy he ever had. Both of us will be happy when he returns to school. I don't see it happening this school year. Rumor has it that it will go online and there will be a list of activities for the children to do. No structure, just do something.

• Like 1

We're forced to home school now. The first day didn't go so well. After criticizing his writing style, my six-year-old punched me in the stomach and called me a big fat idiot. I learned to give him more break time. My wife had to substitute for me a couple of days. She told me that if she ever had to do it again, she would commit suicide.

It's was going better until the last couple of days. He's getting annoyed. Tells me I am the meanest daddy he ever had. Both of us will be happy when he returns to school. I don't see it happening this school year. Rumor has it that it will go online and there will be a list of activities for the children to do. No structure, just do something.

Up to this point we've been home schooling 4 hours a day - 2 hours of math, 1 hour of reading/English/vocab, 1 hour of misc things (science, computing, geography, etc.) I have a STEM PhD and my wife has a technical degree as well, so it's been pretty easy for us as a team.

Our school district will start distance learning on Monday and continue until at least mid-May. Although the school year ends mid-June, so I'm guessing they'll finish the year with distance learning. Terrible way to end 5th grade before junior high starts in September.

Our school district previewed the distance learning yesterday. I was expecting live video-lectures, demos, YouTube videos, opportunities for students to interact via video chat or messaging, interactive games, projects etc.... NOPE. The teacher just puts up about 2 hours of worksheets (busy work) the students need to do every day and submit it. That's it. And you can email the teacher or call her during the day if you have questions. And this is a top-10 school district in our state. :oneeye: It's an effing joke.

• Randy W changed the title to Coronavirus/COVID in the U. S. & Elsewhere