Coronavirus/COVID in the U. S. & Elsewhere

Greg.D.

WHO says new team could be ‘last chance’ to find COVID-19 origins
UN health agency says new task force ‘is our best chance’ to try to understand the origins of the coronavirus.

2020-01-30T000000Z_569427606_RC2KQE9PXJV
The WHO announced the names of 26 nominees to the new task force [File: Denis Balibouse/Reuters]

from Al Jazeera

In February, a joint WHO-China mission concluded that the theory of a leak from a laboratory in Wuhan was “very unlikely” and that it did not warrant further investigation.

However, the WHO’s director general voiced his frustration over the level of access China had granted to the international mission to China.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the mission’s final report did not conduct an “extensive enough” assessment over the possibility the virus was introduced to humans through a laboratory incident.

The WHO on Wednesday announced the names of 26 nominees to join the newly established Scientific Advisory Group for the Origins of Novel Pathogensa (SAGO).

The proposed team of scientists includes six people who visited China as part of the previous WHO-China mission.

The members’ appointment will be formalised in two weeks after a period of public consultation, the WHO said.

The WHO was seeking to “take a step back, create an environment where we can again look at the scientific issues”, said Michael Ryan, the WHO’s emergencies director. “This is our best chance, and it may be our last chance to understand the origins of this virus,” he added.

• 1 month later...

Starting Dec. 6: All international air passengers, regardless of vaccination status, must show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 1 day before #travel to the United States. 

If you have questions, CDC’s Travel Assessment can help:

Find out if you can board a flight to the United States

Are you:

from the U.S. Department of State: Consular Affairs on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/travelgov/posts/272881161541608

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My wife and I got Pfizer booster shots this past Thursday. Just sore shoulders at the vaccination point, also like what occurred previously.

My brother in Germany, and his wife, will receive booster shots this month. Where he lives, there is a higher rate of vaccination than for other areas in Germany. Those that are not vaccinated have come under more restrictions on their movements. The government is looking at legislation to mandate vaccinations for all, but it probably will not be passed and instituted this year.

I suspect that there will be a significant flu outbreak this flu season, after a mild one last year. Since there is more interactions between people now, there will be more chances to spread it. Also it seems that fewer people are getting flu shots, probably partly due to all the worry over covid.

• Like 1