Good story Randy. It is a shame. I know that we influence things a lot but I just thought about it during this video that the desert belt around the earth has been changing its geographical location for 10's of thousands of years and that was way before there were enough of us humans to be an influential factor. So I don't know if it is just to be left to mother nature or not. I have read that the desert across Africa that dinosaurs use to roam there and there are rivers buried under the sand they have recently found out. I have a friend that is in India right now doing that kind of work. He uses an airplane with ground-penetrating radar to be able to tell what is under the ground. In the last several years he was in Antartica doing the same thing.

More about the Mogao Caves from That is China, on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/thatischina/photos/a.818344624878362/2527471323965675/

A painting copied from the Mogao caves in Dunhuang, Gansu China.

The Mogao Caves, also known as the Thousand Buddha Grottoes or Caves of the Thousand Buddhas, form a system of 492 temples 25 km (16 mi) southeast of the center of Dunhuang, an oasis located at a religious and cultural crossroads on the Silk Road, in Gansu province, China.

The caves contain some of the finest examples of Buddhist art spanning a period of 1,000 years.

The first caves were dug out in AD 366 as places of Buddhist meditation and worship.

The Mogao Caves are the best known of the Chinese Buddhist grottoes and, along with Longmen Grottoes and Yungang Grottoes, are one of the three famous ancient Buddhist sculptural sites of China.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

from the BBC

Street photography reveals China in the 1980s

British photographer Adrian Bradshaw arrived in Beijing in 1984, going on to spend three decades documenting China's changing culture.

_108101513_2016-01-29-0001.jpg

The slogan: "Long Live Mao Zedong thought," is painted over, Beijing, 1985

Bradshaw says of the photo above: "The big red propaganda boards typically at main intersections were gradually replaced by advertising, often for overseas brands of electronics that were not even available in the shops.

"The idea was to build awareness for the time China would be rich enough to buy imported items.

_108101517_2016-01-30-0129.jpg

Muhammad Ali, Beijing, 1985

• Like 1

from the People's Daily on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesDaily/posts/2648633695188431

Magnificent view of karst rocks in Guizhou

Jiudongtian, a national key scenic spot bordering Nayong and Dafang counties in Bijie, Southwest China's #Guizhou province, is wowing tourists this season.

Jiudongtian, which means "nine caves in the sky" in Chinese, covers an area of 80 square kilometers. It features nine huge caves dotting a six-kilometer-long underground stream. The sky is sometimes hidden and sometimes seen from the stream. (China Daily)

• Like 1

from TheChinaTrips on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TheChinaTrips/posts/3058535537704230

You had probably seen this in Mulan’s trailer. Yes, it’s the same building
The Hakka and the Minnan people lived in the unique building for centuries. Fujian Tulou exhibits its unique characteristic as a model of community housing for equals. All rooms were built the same size with the same grade of material, same exterior decoration, same style of windows and doors, and there was no "penthouse" for "higher echelons"; a small family owned a vertical set from ground floor to "penthouse" floor, while a larger family would own two or three vertical sets.
Interestingly, there is no toilet in the building itself. Some have a large clay pot in every floor, where they pee and poop into a small container in their room and empty it into the large clay pot. In the past, the residents poop in the farmland so no toilet is needed. Now, they built a common toilet outside the building, shared by many

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

from China Pictorial on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ChinaPic/posts/2234616979997012

#PalaceMuseum releases 2020 themed calendar

The Palace Museum, also known as the Forbidden City, on Monday released its themed calendar for the year 2020.
The 2020 calendar features the architecture of the Forbidden City, displaying its beauty as well as related cultural relics and stories, according to its publisher -- the Forbidden City Publishing House.
The publisher said the 2020 calendar has nine versions, including a traditional version and a Chinese-English bilingual version.
The Palace Museum-themed calendar, a yearly publication to promote the collections and culture of the museum, has been one of the most popular souvenirs of the museum.
Source: Xinhua

Freshman classes start off with one month of mandatory military training

from the People's Daily on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesDaily/posts/2690242624360871

Fancy military training! Freshmen students majoring in dance at Shandong Normal University display their flexibility amid military training.

• Like 1

This is quite a sight from several miles away near Sanya

This is from our trip in 2011

gallery_1846_717_432681.jpg

from TheChinaTrips on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TheChinaTrips/posts/3081878752036575

The Guanyin of Nanshan has three faces, one facing inland and the other two face the South China Sea. The locals believe that the Guanyin statue is protecting them from the Sea. The statue is also the twelfth tallest statue in the world.
Guanyin was once a princess, but she left the luxury palace to care for the poor and needy. Her father, the King wanted her to marry a royal and become the Queen. She dislikes the life that her father had arranged for her. She ran away the day before the marriage and stayed with the nuns to help the community.
The King sent guards to catch her back and gave her choice to either be punished to death or to marry. “Beloved father,” she answered sadly, and her voice was full of tenderness, “it is not a question of my love for you—of that there is no question, for all my life I have shown it in every action. Believe me, if I were free to do your bidding, gladly would I make you happy, but a voice from the gods has spoken, has commanded that I remain a virgin, that I devote my life to deeds of mercy. When heaven itself has commanded, what can even a princess do but listen to that power which rules the earth?” Her father was furious and gave her death sentence.
She was then sent to the underworld after her death. As she set foot to hell, pure water lilies sprang up on every part of the world. King Yama, the ruler of the underworld, begged her to leave the underworld as she had beautified the land of sin. Thus, Guanyin entered the glad abode becoming the Goddess of Mercy.

• Like 1

from TheChinaTrips on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TheChinaTrips/posts/3081959938695123

In the bustling city of Shanghai lies a classical garden that is being rated as a must-see in Shanghai. The exquisite layout, beautiful scenery, and the artistic style of the garden architecture is the highlight of Yu Garden. Walk by the garden and grab a bite of local street foods like soup dumplings, rice cake, steamed buns and pork balls
  • Like 1