An ongoing topic - click here for Most Recent Post

I usually put these in a separate topic, but a collection is better for some. I'll continue posting my own pictures in my own topics.

These are from China Highlights

The Four Best China Karst Landscapes for Tourists

China has the largest area of karst landforms in the world, which is mainly distributed in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, Yunnan and Guizhou provinces. Xu Xiake, a famous Chinese traveler and geographer of the 17th century, first discovered more than 100 underground caves associated with karst landforms around China and recorded them in his travelogue.

Karst topography is generally characterized by sink holes, caves and rock columns.

3e9c339d1ab24fad86f809b4_cut_800x500_9.j

Wulong in Chongqing

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

More from the Sixth Tone -

Collage: China’s Week in Photos, August 29 - September 4

431.jpg

Visitors run away from a tidal bore at ‘qibao,’ a popular vantage point to watch the tides, Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, Aug. 3, 2016. Li Chunhua/VCG

432.jpg

Swimmers in face-kinis bathe by the seaside of Qingdao, Shandong province, Aug. 28, 2016. This new generation of face-kini features traditional Chinese patterns like Peking Opera costumes. VCG

• 2 weeks later...

in the People's Daily. Yuanmingyuan is the Old Summer Palace

Old photos of Yuanmingyuan a hit online

The pictures were taken by British photographer Felice Beato and German Ernst Ohlmer. There also are detailed illustrations of the site based on the photographs.

The illustrations reveal the beautiful scenery of the former imperial garden before it wasburned down by British and French troops in 1860. Netizens were amazed by the landscape and described the former garden as a fairyland.

FOREIGN201609191512000594150650928.jpg

Here are the illustrations of Yuanmingyuan based on the old photographs.

FOREIGN201609191518000242885692679.jpg

The following three photos, showing the ruins of Yuanmingyuan, were taken by GermanErnst Ohlmer, who was a customs officer during this era in the Qing Dynasty. He took a series of 12 photographs 13 years after Yuanmingyuan was burned down.

FOREIGN201609191514000278868346062.jpg

11 minutes, bottom-to-top

Italian driver conquers 99 bends of Tianmen Mountain Road

By Sun Wenyu (People's Daily Online) 16:27, September 22, 2016

FOREIGN201609221627000196134058729.jpg

FOREIGN201609221627000184341773700.jpg

Italian driver conquers 99 bends of Tianmen Mountain Road

Fabio Barone, president of the Ferrari Club Passione Rossa of Italy, lapped Tianmenshan Mountain Road in less than 11 minutes in a Ferrari 458. The road, located in Tianmen Mountain National Park in central #China's Hunan province, is a tortuous, twisting road leading up to the top of the mountain. The road features no less than 99 heart-pounding bends.

In order to earn a better lap time, Barone replaced the original steel body of the car with carbon fiber, reducing the vehicle’s weight by 90 kilograms. He also upgraded its rims, suspension and circuits.

the actual race - An interesting idea for a race . . .

• 2 weeks later...

In the SCMP . . .

Cliff-top Chinese temple still sitting tight after more than four centuries

Cluster of tiny temples anchored to peaks by stone pillars hammered deep into mountain crevices

64a41e56-8df8-11e6-afd1-1c0f6e75ba2c_128

7fc6cc06-8df8-11e6-afd1-1c0f6e75ba2c_486

While the average lifespan of a modern building in China about 30 years, a tiny Taoist temple has stood intact for more than four centuries without concrete and steel on a remote mountain peak in Zhenan county, Shaanxi province, the news website Hsw.cn reports.

The highest structure of the temple, with a floor are of six square metres, sits 1,666 metres above sea level on stony pillars hammered deep into the rock cracks of the mountain. Three sides face sheer cliffs while narrow stone stairs provide the only access to the temple.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2016 at 11:41 PM, Randy W said:

In the SCMP . . .

Cliff-top Chinese temple still sitting tight after more than four centuries

Cluster of tiny temples anchored to peaks by stone pillars hammered deep into mountain crevices

64a41e56-8df8-11e6-afd1-1c0f6e75ba2c_128

7fc6cc06-8df8-11e6-afd1-1c0f6e75ba2c_486

While the average lifespan of a modern building in China about 30 years, a tiny Taoist temple has stood intact for more than four centuries without concrete and steel on a remote mountain peak in Zhenan county, Shaanxi province, the news website Hsw.cn reports.

The highest structure of the temple, with a floor are of six square metres, sits 1,666 metres above sea level on stony pillars hammered deep into the rock cracks of the mountain. Three sides face sheer cliffs while narrow stone stairs provide the only access to the temple.

Of all the so-called eastern religions, Taoism interests me the most. The writings of Lao-tze rival anything in western religious writing.

And the pictures of these temples are an example of what drew me to the city where my wife came from, Fushun, a center for Taoism practice for centuries. I saw and was allowed entry to two of them. Randy, thanks for that link. Keep'em coming.

If you give China a chance, it is a great place to know.

from Xinhua on Facebook

1119694180_1476156574026_title0h.jpg

【故宮舉行消防演習】10日,故宮在太和殿舉行消防演習,故宮博物院員工、消防員等約500人參加。演習旨在提升故宮防火能力,確保古建築安全。圖為消防演習現場。

The Forbidden City fire drill held on the 10th, the forbidden city in too and temple fire drill, held at the National Palace Museum staff, firefighters, etc about 500 people to participate. Drill Aims to enhance the capacity of the Imperial Palace, fire safety, to ensure the safety of the ancient buildings. Figure for fire drill scene.