Randy W

Something Jiaying just explained to me which I hadn't understood before - there are TWO Toyota factories in China - one partnered with Guangzhou Automotive, and the other with China's First Autoworks (FAW). Hence, there are TWO Toyota dealers almost next door to each other (one other lot in between)

From Wikipedia

GAC Toyota

Sichuan FAW Toyota Motor

Ours is an FAW, so we always go to THAT dealer (unless we screw up and show up at the wrong one - easy to do).

Wanda Plaza (shopping center) grand opening in Yulin. This was sent to us by one of the tenants in our building. Pizza Hut will have to wait another day.
Watch out - they also own AMC Theaters in the US.

gallery_1846_744_33059.jpg

• Like 1

Wanda Plaza (shopping center) grand opening in Yulin. This was sent to us by one of the tenants in our building. Pizza Hut will have to wait another day.

Watch out - they also own AMC Theaters in the US.

gallery_1846_744_33059.jpgB

While malls close here brick and mortar stores are obviously still thriving in China.

Well, it passes the full occupancy test!

The Toyota trip looks pretty cool, too. I think that is the official Toyota antifreeze bottle. Gave mine up to a neighbor when my Scion was totalled by hail a few years ago. Trying a Subaru for now.

Another term that Jiaying used in trying to tell me about the dealer was "4S" - I had to look that up, too.

It apparently refers to the style of automobile marketing where a dealership sells cars AND provides maintenance, brought to China by Volkswagen's partnership with FAW in 1997.

And all I wanted to know was the NAME of the dealer, which Google tells me is

Junye Toyota Automobile Sales and Service Co.,Ltd.

骏业丰田汽车销售服务有限公司

but she doesn't seem to recognize the Junye name. Sigh.

4S and beyond: reshaping China’s retail landscape

Megan Lampinen looks at the development of the 4S dealership model in China

“Volkswagen’s first sales joint venture, starting in 1997 with FAW-Volkswagen, started to revolutionise the whole sales system,” notes Frisch. The existing system wasn’t working, and the there was no OEM control over either sales or service. What the OEM did was apply in China the same approach it used in Germany – 4S. “The idea was to integrate the whole servicing around a car, because it was all split up and segmented, with no control at all,” she adds.

The "gold Mercedes" gets a make-over. It's more obvious in sunlight that it's actually bronze.

Before:

gallery_1846_744_93726.jpg

After (the lower body panels were repainted red):

gallery_1846_744_1116412.jpg

Jiaying says they must have a lot of money to be repainting their car for fun like that.

Someone else has a PINK Mercedes.

I would say that somebody has got some money.

Come on Randy is that the wife's car?

Only if her boyfriend bought it for her.

We are back at the TCM, since my mobility still isn't improving very much, even though the knee pain is all but gone away. Symptoms now are a numb feeling in both legs, which gets bad enough that I just have to stop in my tracks for 5 or 10 minutes until the feeling comes back.

So far, an MRI at the orthopedics hospital back in Oct., now at the TCM hospital, an ultra-sound, and an NMR scan of my lower back.

gallery_1846_831_115113.jpg

gallery_1846_831_115640.jpg

gallery_1846_831_651553.jpg

Randy, I hope that you don't have to stay there often.

Zheese thanks Larry!

The doctor remembered me from a few years back when he cut a mole off the side of my head (I had gotten tired of having it whacked whenever I got a haircut).

• 2 weeks later...