Randy W

I just read today that China is hoping to get into the aftermarket drug business and take the market over all over the world and you will never know where they are coming from. How do we feel about that?

https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/china-prepares-for-big-pharma/

This is just one there are many more.

It's a good idea - that's China only. I'm not seeing anything there about world dominance. I'm already increasingly seeing Chinese-branded Western medicines, even if it's from a Western subsidiary

The Chinese population is aging and increasingly ill, two factors that have made China the world’s second largest pharmaceutical market. Being able to create national heavyweight companies that can dominate the Chinese market, compete and beat foreign competitors, and begin to take market share away from those foreign competitors’ home markets checks all the boxes of the “Made in China” plan.

I first read the post on Fox or CNN which portrayed them to becoming more dominant into 2025 with medicines that have been released to be produced as a generic and they intended to start making new medications with their patents on them. That was early this morning and at the time I posted the above I could not find it only the one that I GOOGLED and found.

The plan was for American pharmasutical companies to have their medicines made in China and then distributed here with no mention of where they were really made. Leaving everyone here in America thinking that they were actually made here in America. I'll look again to see if I can find it.

I looked again but could not find the article but below is the last paragraph of this article that in as much says the same thing.

"As China enters the ranks of the high-technology pharmaceutical manufacturers, it will challenge the market dominance of U.S. and European pharmaceutical giants. The Chinese government has seen its aging and increasingly ill population as both a risk and an opportunity, and has responded in one of the only ways it knows how: attempting to upend a global market."

I believe they've been doing THAT for a long time (opaquely making drugs in China)

Meanwhile, -

Washington’s latest move targets key elements of Made in China 2025 policy

Among the eight companies and dozens of their subsidiaries to be affected were the China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation Second Academy – a research unit of the largest missile systems developer in China – and communications system manufacturer Hebei Far East Communication System Engineering.
Other research institutes under the state-owned technological giant China Electronics Technology Group Corporation (CETC) developing semiconductors, radar technology and microelectronic devices were also affected.
Others on the list included China Volant Industry, which exports and imports aerospace technologies, and China Hi-Tech Industry Import and Export Corporation.
The US controls will limit that companies’ access to products that the US commerce department deems could have dual military or civilian use and may deny them key components such as nuclear materials, telecoms equipment, lasers and sensors.

Google doesn't seem to find your articles, but this may be a better one anyway - from the SCMP

Strategy aims to turn China’s predominantly off-patent drug copying pharmaceutical industry into one that’s capable of coming up with innovative patentable products

China Food and Drugs Administration started implementing its moves just over two years ago, with test requirements on the quality – in terms of safety and efficacy – of off-patent generic drugs as part of a national strategy to build a strong pharmaceutical industry through reform.
A raft of initiatives were announced to cut red tape for the drug discovery industry and incentivise innovation, including simplifying clinical trial approval procedures to cut waiting times and compensating drug developers for lost patent duration due to approval delays.
. . .
Mainland pharmaceutical firms’ average research and development spending was less than 5 per cent of sales, compared with around 20 per cent in the United States, according to Shao.
Some 95 per cent of the nation’s 189,000 drugs registered are generic ones, in an industry worth over 500 billion yuan, according the Everbright report.
The top 10 players took up just 10 per cent of industry sales in 2016, compared with 48 per cent in the United States, Shao noted.
“Generic drugs approved for production before 2008 are particularly prone to low quality problems … the new testing requirements will play a key role in lifting industry concentration and standards,” Everbright analysts Lin Xiaowei and Jing Yushen wrote.
“Quality verification will be a systemic project for China’s pharmaceutical industry in the next five to 10 years.”

That was a very good article. It is funny that you couldn't many articles on google about the industry because I found a GREAT deal of them. I think that we are looking for two different things. The article that I was reading was aimed at American drug companies that were getting their drugs made in China cheaply, like everything else in America, and importing them back into the US then selling them here with our labels on them with no mention that they were actually made in China and not in America.

When I read the article something told me I should bookmark this article but I didn't. Now, I am sorry but you can't bookmark every article that you read.

Edit to add this article: This is not the original article that I read.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-manufacturing-of-most-us-medicine-and-vitamins-poses-security-threat-researchers-say_2497862.html

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

That was a very good article. It is funny that you couldn't many articles on google about the industry because I found a GREAT deal of them. I think that we are looking for two different things. The article that I was reading was aimed at American drug companies that were getting their drugs made in China cheaply, like everything else in America, and importing them back into the US then selling them here with our labels on them with no mention that they were actually made in China and not in America.

When I read the article something told me I should bookmark this article but I didn't. Now, I am sorry but you can't bookmark every article that you read.

Edit to add this article: This is not the original article that I read.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-manufacturing-of-most-us-medicine-and-vitamins-poses-security-threat-researchers-say_2497862.html

Okay, but THIS seems to be the bottom line with that -

It’s unclear just how many drugs in the United States come from China, since many drug companies choose to keep their sourcing under wraps or fail to take due diligence in identifying the sources of their ingredients.

Greedy pharmaceutical companies, and lax import restrictions

As far as all the stuff I hear about how awful "China" is, I think I must just flat out be living somewhere else. A different world entirely. Somehow things just seem to be much more PREDICTABLE and easier to deal with.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Catching up on some photos I haven't been posting . . .

This is what the 'Turf Wars' spot looks like now - they're not letting vendors set up there any more

gallery_1846_744_426651.jpg

This is our complex (Aoli Huayuan 奥利華園)

gallery_1846_744_122430.jpg

gallery_1846_744_346606.jpg

gallery_1846_744_21613.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure what this beer is, but it was quite good, definitely better than their other choice (PBR). My favorite is still the Monchschof Schwarzbier, though.

Dan identified the plane as a World War II JU-87 Stuka Dive Bomber, the Chinese name is [/size]斯图卡 - si tu ka, and another comment that "'[/size]Hefe-Vollkorn Bier' is a wrong translation, so likely not German", although it seems to translate as yeast whole grain (searches for Vollkorn turn up German bread).[/size]

gallery_1846_744_931398.jpg

Yulin's "beer girl" sells a case. 12 bottles for ¥80, with 2 free cans for dinner. Part of the deal was that we would display them on our table while eating, before taking the box home

gallery_1846_744_976218.jpg

A visit from the beer girl - I was surprised to find it still around, since the restaurants don't seem to carry it anymore. But 4 cases at "buy 1 Get 1" prices - about ¥5 should keep me in beer for a LONG time, including the Monchshof - but, Hey! She delivers!

gallery_1846_744_446645.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, today REALLY WAS a holiday, although I had to ask my wife, and then insist that she ask someone else.

It was 药博会 (Yào bó huì), or Chinese medicine Expo

Huang Haikun met with leading guests attending the drug fair

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.yulintimes.com/a/2018/ylnews_0914/22580.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'd hate to post this in the 'Twisted Health' topic - I'm nowhere near what those guys are going through.

I've found out I'm a potential candidate for knee replacement surgery - at least that's what the "out" (outpatient) doctor at the Orthopedics hospital said, after looking at the MRI pictures. So we finally got to talk with the surgeon yesterday, who compared the two knees - no swelling - and suggested that we NOT proceed. Sounds good to me, although I'm still relatively immobile for now. I seem to be limited to 100 to 200 meters before I need a 2 or 3 day recovery.

The "in" (inpatient) doctor or surgeon (Jiaying made a cute little sawing motion with one hand to make sure I'd know what she was talking about), pretty much just said "No!". I think I'll be fine as long as I can baby it more than I have.

He suggested sticking to level hikes - hey, I've done that for 35 years now (ever since I almost didn't make it out of the Grand Canyon). Even hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park, I would look for trails that were relatively level.
But for now, I'm pretty well stuck at home.

I'd hate to post this in the 'Twisted Health' topic - I'm nowhere near what those guys are going through.

I've found out I'm a potential candidate for knee replacement surgery - at least that's what the "out" (outpatient) doctor at the Orthopedics hospital said, after looking at the MRI pictures. So we finally got to talk with the surgeon yesterday, who compared the two knees - no swelling - and suggested that we NOT proceed. Sounds good to me, although I'm still relatively immobile for now. I seem to be limited to 100 to 200 meters before I need a 2 or 3 day recovery.

The "in" (inpatient) doctor or surgeon (Jiaying made a cute little sawing motion with one hand to make sure I'd know what she was talking about), pretty much just said "No!". I think I'll be fine as long as I can baby it more than I have.

He suggested sticking to level hikes - hey, I've done that for 35 years now (ever since I almost didn't make it out of the Grand Canyon). Even hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park, I would look for trails that were relatively level.
But for now, I'm pretty well stuck at home.

That's a tough one, Randy. Second to back pain there's nothing more debilitating than knew knee pain. I did some leg presses at the gym a few months back and walked like a cripple for 6 months. My old legs just can't do like the used to. I hope they continue to hold up. All the best to you. Easy on the beer while sittin' too long.