Randy W

Yulin downtown festivities on the San Yue San day (it's not clear what this had to do with San Yue San). I slept through it - these videos are from someone who was there

. . . and from someone on Facebook - (pictures) https://www.facebook.com/groups/Guangxi1/permalink/10155196231472117/

(drone footage) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Guangxi1/permalink/10155201608252117/

(sorry - can't do any better with the links)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

TurboTax LIED to me - told me I had ONE more try to efile my return before the IRS would LOCK ME OUT from efiling - I needed three, but finally got it right.

To efile, you need your previous year's AGI and/or filing PIN for ID purposes.

Apparently, my return last year wasn't processed until November, so my AGI shows up as $0 for ID purposes (I had to figure that out through Google), even though I KNEW I had the correct non-zero amount. I had changed my PIN last year when I went to efile, so that it would be the same as previous years, so I tried a few different PINs until I figured out which one was correct.

Finally got it right, and taxes submitted (pain in the rear).

Just got my tax transcript for 2016 (yes, LAST YEAR) - "No Return Filed"! I checked back through my emails - turned out they had rejected it because I didn't fill in the blank on Schedule D for Total Capital Gain or Loss

I'll have to mail it in - should be no fee or penalty, though, since it was paid on time.

Kind of goes to show, though - it's a good idea to ALWAYS order your tax transcripts EACH YEAR from the IRS after they've had a chance to process your return. Order BOTH the account AND the return transcripts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what this beer is, but it was quite good, definitely better than their other choice (PBR). My favorite is still the Monchschof Schwarzbier, though.

Dan identified the plane as a World War II JU-87 Stuka Dive Bomber, the Chinese name is 斯图卡 - si tu ka, and another comment that "'Hefe-Vollkorn Bier' is a wrong translation, so likely not German", although it seems to translate as yeast whole grain (searches for Vollkorn turn up German bread).

gallery_1846_744_931398.jpg

A closer look at the labels - looks like it's made in Guangzhou. At 11°P (specific gravity), and >= 4.3% alcohol, and ¥10 per bottle, they seem to be aiming a bit above the typical Chinese local beers.

The "since 1516" on the label seems to be a reference to German purity laws, but with six ingredients listed, I don't think they comply.

gallery_1846_744_581819.jpg

We saw this at a streetside vendor on the way home, so maybe it'll be coming soon to a watering hole near you.

gallery_1846_744_524983.jpg

I'm not sure what this beer is, but it was quite good, definitely better than their other choice (PBR). My favorite is still the Monchschof Schwarzbier, though.

Dan identified the plane as a World War II JU-87 Stuka Dive Bomber, the Chinese name is 斯图卡 - si tu ka, and another comment that "'Hefe-Vollkorn Bier' is a wrong translation, so likely not German", although it seems to translate as yeast whole grain (searches for Vollkorn turn up German bread).

Hefe-Vollkorn-Bier - its really a wheat beer, made of whole grain... that what it supposed to mean, but I have never seen this in Germany

And the other german words "Verkostung und beste koestliche produktion", these are german words, but together in this sentence, doesn't make sense. Means something like "Consume and delicious production"

Edited by gzbabi (see edit history)

Hefe-Vollkorn-Bier - its really a wheat beer, made of whole grain... that what it supposed to mean, but I have never seen this in Germany

And the other german words "Verkostung und beste koestliche produktion", these are german words, but together in this sentence, doesn't make sense. Means something like "Consume and delicious production"

Yes - it seems to be from Guangzhou. The German Purity Laws govern what grains can be used for beer, and which are reserved for bread and even what times of the year. Do a Google search for "Vollkorn", and you get mostly German breads.

The "von 1516" on the label seems to be a reference to the German Purity Laws, which this beer definitely doesn't follow.

We've switched from the refillable 5 gallon bottles to these non-refillable 2½ gallon bottles, since the recyclable ones are often left fairly grungy on the outside.

But lately the non-refillable bottles seem to be going a little limp on us.

gallery_1846_744_866471.jpg

This park is close to our home and being slowly developed. It will eventually turn Jiaying's mother's home into a wading pool, but so far, they're avoiding tearing down existing homes.

The name of the park according to AutoNavi (Amap) is 江南绿轴公园 or Jiāngnán lǜ zhóu gōngyuán (Jiangnan Green Axis Park)

gallery_1846_744_418546.jpg

gallery_1846_744_1287786.jpg

gallery_1846_744_1495207.jpg

gallery_1846_744_388588.jpg

gallery_1846_744_1014403.jpg

• Like 1