Randy W

Actually, they serve the purpose of stopping back gassing so sewer gas from the rest of the sewer system Randy. That is the traps only purpose. Yes, they are good at stopping thing up especially with tenants that don't give a crap what they put into them. It looks like someone stopped it up and then tried to use something to ramrod it out. Good luck with whatever you do.

It connects through an open connection to a vertical drop carrying only kitchen runoff - any sewer gases vent through that open connection anyway.

Our building has approximately 20 vertical sewer pipes for each home - two for the kitchen, two for the laundry, four for each bathroom, four on the porch. All are separate, with no connections.

The part that clogs up is outside the picture - a flexible corrugated tube that runs to the sewer line, and simply drains into an open pipe, along with the dishwasher outflow. That's been replaced twice, since it's easier than unclogging it.

This part just rusted through.

The trap could also keep roaches down. And if you don't have a vertical drain/waste vent to the roof (that all those drains tap into) the draining action could siphon the traps empty anyway.

Yes: pvc looks superior as it's not even one year since your grand opening. Me personally: I would just plan on replacing all of them in the building.

(takes off free plumbing advice hat)

Now WAIT a second - this is in our home (sorry I didn't make that clear), NOT in the new building.

Yes - the sewer lines vent at both the roof and in the basement - there's no suction, or discernible sewer gas. The two bathroom showers have straight-through drains, with no discernible odor.

Jiaying talked to the people who did the original installation (in 2010) - I think they've convinced her to go with the same setup. I WOULD prefer a PVC replacement, but I don't care TOO much as long as EVERY piece is replaced.

I see. I am like you I would prefer PVC too. Whatever you guys decide.

This is the understanding that I have always had for the purpose of a P-trap but I do realize that they do things different in good ole China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_(plumbing)

Chinese people are well aware of the purpose of traps. The difference is that sewers are pretty much OPEN to outside air pressure and ventilation

The difference between hotels (e.g., the "doodoo hotel" that tsap likes to talk about) and residences is that hotel bathrooms are clustered in the interior, next to the hallway. This allows more window space for the bedroom, but, of course, leaves NONE for the bathroom. So there is usually more HORIZONTAL plumbing for the bathrooms.

I've seen Mao-era bathrooms where the kitchen and bathroom were next to each other, and all drains simply emptied into the squat toilet, which had the ONLY trap to the outside line.

Nowadays, a simple inverted cup serves as a VERY small "trap" for other bathroom drains. This can easily dry out (evaporate) if the room hasn't been occupied for a few days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Randy, to your home in China or home in the US? How about pistols. Say a Sig 238?

I don't know that that would make it through customs - or the Post Office.

Last time I was in the U.S., I stopped by Toys R Us to try to get an American style rifle for Chenxi - couldn't find one bigger than toy soldier size.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TurboTax LIED to me - told me I had ONE more try to efile my return before the IRS would LOCK ME OUT from efiling - I needed three, but finally got it right.

To efile, you need your previous year's AGI and/or filing PIN for ID purposes.

Apparently, my return last year wasn't processed until November, so my AGI shows up as $0 for ID purposes (I had to figure that out through Google), even though I KNEW I had the correct non-zero amount. I had changed my PIN last year when I went to efile, so that it would be the same as previous years, so I tried a few different PINs until I figured out which one was correct.

Finally got it right, and taxes submitted (pain in the rear).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

A couple more little "disasters" - my wife broke off our little shower utility faucet and came running down the hallway to tell me "Water off!" Took me a minute before I realized she meant "TURN the water off!".

Chinese metal hardware can turn SO brittle that it just BREAKS without you feeling ANY resistance. I had ALREADY broken the handle off that way.

Anyway, only ¥20 to have someone come up and fix it (we had already bought a replacement). He had the right tool to twist the little threaded stub out of the wall without doing any damage - I would have had to have chiseled it out.

Also THIS - PM2.5 tends to form a paste in the presence of moisture which can be VERY difficult to get off, including the bathroom ceilings. I clean my glasses every day to avoid any build-up of that crap.

gallery_1846_744_643810.jpg

We paid someone to come in and re-plaster the two bathrooms, and the outside porch. Jiaying says the old stuff was 油柒 (oil paint) - the new stuff (腻子 putty) is better, but I don't see the difference - they're both brittle, chalky, and seemingly absorbent. The rest of the place is just fine.