Randy W

Summer fruit season in Yulin

Wine time again. :victory:

gallery_1846_744_15768.jpg

She's got two more going now - six in all. It comes out a little syrupy from the sugar, but you need enough to make sure it ferments properly. I just water it down with a little soda water - good stuff!

• Like 1

Those sure are a familiar sight around here too, only difference is that it is called "woman medicine". Our jars get started the last week of August and they are all wild grapes that she uses. 3 different varieties with the small black ones being the most prized for flavor and medicinal purposes. We or I should say she has a good batch going right now too, looks to be 10 gallons in all.

Ganbei!

I just put up some too. I was just thinking about you guys. I was sure that you had put up some. I saw an old alligator on YouTube that made some out of Frozen concentrate and he just left the lid a little loose. My black grape vine did not have any grapes on it again this year for the third year. If it don't kick in it is going to get the Round-Up treatment. It appears to be in great shape otherwise like always. I am gong to try a little fertilizer next year.

I just put up some too. I was just thinking about you guys. I was sure that you had put up some. I saw an old alligator on YouTube that made some out of Frozen concentrate and he just left the lid a little loose. My black grape vine did not have any grapes on it again this year for the third year. If it don't kick in it is going to get the Round-Up treatment. It appears to be in great shape otherwise like always. I am gong to try a little fertilizer next year.

If you don't cut back the vine to around 10 foot or so, the vine ends up setting the flowers but no grapes appear as the vine puts all its energy to growing longer and zero energy to producing grapes. Only time I've seen producers on longer vines is when they grow straight up into a tree and are then limited by it's height and branch width, and those are maybe 20-25 foot high and only the very small clump black grapes.

• Like 2

Mike that is what I have been doing for 45 years now but just the last 3 years no grapes. The only thing that I have not done in the last 5 years is not spreading a little fertilizer underneath it. (Wife to cheap) but she loves the wine made from them. To late for this year. I even checked with ole GOOGLE for answers but came up empty handed. No sign of any diseases or any kind of bugs. I am sure there is a reason. I just have not found it yet. The only other thing is that my mother passed away almost 3 years ago and we did the pruning of it together. Perhaps it misses her touch. :dunno: I have continued doing it the same way that we always did.

Maybe it is like me it is getting to old to produce. :rotfl:

Edit to add: Mike tomorrow is the big day or I should say today is the big day.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

You can tell winter's on the way when the temperature dips below 70°F and people start dragging out their winter coats. These racks all but sold out in 30 minutes.

The parkas don't come out until the temperature dips below 60°F.

gallery_1846_744_523421.jpg

• Like 1

I see that too even here. It's espically noticeable when worn inside the house. We can get done cooking dinner and the oven will raise the inside temp to 74 or so, and I'm ready to open some windows to cool off. I know it's hot, as part of the family is in shorts and tee shirts while the other part is wearing parkas and a hoodie with the hood up, while even at the kitchen table eating next to the open oven door. Sometimes I think it's more of a monkey see-monkey do subconscious thing rather than a physical I really am cold kind of thing.

• Like 1

Return Visit to Hong Kong

Leaving tonight for a short visit

The hotel is in Lan Kwai Fong (Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong), same one I stayed at on a previous trip to the U.S. I'll have some more pictures when I get back.

A slight case of bad timing - the rooms are DOUBLE this week, unless we wait until Sunday. My wife had already bought the train tickets when we found that out, so we'll spend a few days in Shenzhen first, before crossing into Hong Kong.

One thing I'll be checking out is a Hong Kong-spec Samsung Galaxy S-8, which hopefully includes Google Play access (the Chinese versions do not).

gallery_1846_724_706764.jpg

. . . and I'll be checking out the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Xoco Mexican Restaurant, and Kou Li Fu, and some sight-seeing.

. . . AND . . . my wife may have a few ideas also.

• Like 3

At Lan Kwai Fong for Halloween - Party Central.

A MASSIVE police presence, with traffic blocked and pedestrians cordoned often - and being told to leave almost before they get here.

We were careful to NOT co-mingle with the cross traffic so we wouldn't get caught up in it.