A/C repair in China

Air conditioners in China are heat pumps, which also serve as heaters during the winter. Our hot water heater even uses an A/C compressor to heat the water.

The compressors are outside, connected to the evaporator through tubing and an electrical connection. In our complex, it is in a vertical utility shaft running the length of the building and hidden behind louvers.

The A/C in my office was "barely there" - pretty weak and in need of a recharging.

This guy is rigging a harness for his co-worker to use as he navigates to the utility shaft, where the compressors are located. It's tied to the window frame, and loosely to our bed. I'm sure if he had fallen, he'd have taken our window with him.

P1050556.JPG

P1050557.JPG

The guy in the blue shirt does the outside work

P1050559.JPG

P1050560.JPG

P1050561.JPG

All this for ¥100, a little under $15USD. A lot cooler now!
  • Like 3

Amazing what can get accomplished when OSHA isn't involved. I'm sure they have done that a 100 times over and it is quite natural to do repairs that way and they feel safe doing it too. The rope looked more than heavy duty, but like you said, it's all in the anchor point. At least he wasn't wearing slippers or barefoot while on the ledge.

Sure can't beat that price.

Great pics too!