Our CCP wait time - 88 days

Mr. Don

• 2 months later...

Well, it will be 5 months next week since the VO told my fiance 1 to 3 months. I have sent 3 emails to the consulate and received 3 standard form letter replies saying we are undergoing additional processing. I will send another next week but imagine I will get the same reply. Can anyone shine some light on this for me. Should we be concerned? Why do some, even most, get approved in 3 to 4 and we are going on 5? Her employer forced her to join the CCP, she never was active in it, she has lived her whole life in the same city, and never been in trouble. She's 45 years old. Because she's older, does it mean it takes longer to check her background? I'm sorry for all the questions. We were hoping to be together for Thanksgiving, and now even Christmas looks doubtful. Thank you to any and all who reply. Dave

Well, it will be 5 months next week since the VO told my fiance 1 to 3 months. I have sent 3 emails to the consulate and received 3 standard form letter replies saying we are undergoing additional processing. I will send another next week but imagine I will get the same reply. Can anyone shine some light on this for me. Should we be concerned? Why do some, even most, get approved in 3 to 4 and we are going on 5? Her employer forced her to join the CCP, she never was active in it, she has lived her whole life in the same city, and never been in trouble. She's 45 years old. Because she's older, does it mean it takes longer to check her background? I'm sorry for all the questions. We were hoping to be together for Thanksgiving, and now even Christmas looks doubtful. Thank you to any and all who reply. Dave

It has been a few years now but a couple we met at the interview in Guanzhou, the wife had a director level job at a State run company, our interviews were in June and she was not approved until the next January which is 7 months. Hard to say what the maximum 'normal' processing time is but while the wait is painful I would not worry too much yet.

Dave – check out some of the other threads in this forum. This year it seems to be taking 8+ months.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46106-similar-ap-situations/

My wife joined a QQ group for spouses who are in additional processing – only in the last few weeks have people from February and March started getting their visas. If your wife would like the QQ group number, send me a PM and I'll ask my wife for it to pass along.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone noticed any improvement in wait time in the past couple of months?

I know there's no point in trying to predict approval, but I'd feel slightly more encouraged if the wait seems to be improving.

Having watched this for a few years, it does appear wait times are longer for starting AP in Spring and Summer versus those who start in Fall and Winter. The model is this is completely volume driven. However, there are other factors in play which may make a much bigger difference. If it makes you feel better :gleam:

• Like 1

I know there's no point in trying to predict approval, but I'd feel slightly more encouraged if the wait seems to be improving.

Hang in there buddy. I know the waiting is rough as hell, but she will get her visa.

I liked your words....." I'd feel slightly more encouraged if the wait seems to be improving."

I have no other advice, but, while these things are pretty much useless they will at least give you something to do towards your case, and possibly keep it in front of the State Department workers. I'm talking about calling the DOS number in DC, and sending inquiry emails about your case to Guangzhou. Then, there is always the Congressional inquiry. Those things at least keeps you busy and gives the feeling that you are doing something. Your congressman's immigration liaison will most likely not even get anymore information out of Guangzhou than what you already know, but it is a task, something to keep you busy....and it puts your case in front of the DOS workers.

Good luck with the wait,it is awful, but your woman WILL get her visa. Keep that thought uppermost.

tsap seui

In which month did your SO interview?

We're still waiting from the end of June…working to keep spirits up, though!

Oh, we've only been waiting since the end of October. I know others have been waiting longer, and our wait isn't really beyond average yet. Last activity on CEAC was December 6th.

I was mostly just fishing for a little bit of hope that our wait won't be so long. It's rough being the one to calm everyone, and reassure that we'll have the visa eventually. It makes it worse that the CO said "3 or 4 weeks", and before that two different "friends" tried to convince her that lying was the best option. Without a more transparent system, it's just soul crushingly slow.

Hope your case is approved soon, though...so that ours can move up in the queue.

My wife interviewed on Oct. 21 and is still waiting. According to the QQ group there is still someone who interviewed in June that is waiting as of today. Don't know if that is lhp's SO but I think that those who are affected should band together because this is getting ridiculous. It seems that because of the office move they are really behind in clearing this out. I also think that the government shut down in October didn't help things. It's really frustrating to say the least as we are now separated because I had to come back for work.

There should be a mandate for them to move faster, we are talking about separating families and because we are the ones that told the truth we are punished. It really leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth especially the fact that it is a black hole, all queries get the same form response.

My wife interviewed on Oct. 21 and is still waiting. According to the QQ group there is still someone who interviewed in June that is waiting as of today. Don't know if that is lhp's SO but I think that those who are affected should band together because this is getting ridiculous. It seems that because of the office move they are really behind in clearing this out. I also think that the government shut down in October didn't help things. It's really frustrating to say the least as we are now separated because I had to come back for work.

There should be a mandate for them to move faster, we are talking about separating families and because we are the ones that told the truth we are punished. It really leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth especially the fact that it is a black hole, all queries get the same form response.

Exactly - the whole visa process simply inserts a third party - the United States government - smack in the middle of your marriage for the duration.

• Like 2

I agree with everything everyone has said in this thread. My SO is in the same situation. I have sent letters to congressman, senators, state department, guangzhou consulate, all with no response.

I think the key issue here is the lack of transparency. The standard immigration process takes a while, but with websites like visajourney.com, you can get a rough sense for what is going on and set expectations accordingly. In the case of the CCP waiver, I don't think anyone knows enough to know if Guangzhou is the problem or if it is the state department in D.C.

My feeling is that with some new policy, they are asking the CCP member question of nearly every applicant and given the number of interviews per day, this is creating a huge backlog. The question is what is the next step of the process. A background check would require looking in a couple of databases. I can't imagine that taking 9+ months. I doubt they are doing much more because sending people all over China to perform background checks would be incredibly expensive. Plus, you never hear of anyone's relatives or employers being interviewed for these sorts of things... Again, this is conjecture. Is there an equivalent CCP-like delay happening to others applying for visas from other countries? (meaning is the problem larger than just China originating visas?)

I would love to know what people think is the best way forward. Has anyone attempted to ask an immigration lawyer to sue the government to obtain more detailed information? Should we band together as a class action and try to collect data from every person we can find who has gone through this or is waiting for this process for dates and durations of waiting? Should we contact the ACLU to try to obtain representation as our rights to "the pursuit of happiness" as citizens are clearly being trampled upon here. I think if people are interested, we can try something and armed with data we stand a better chance than without.

Edited by scovitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with everything everyone has said in this thread. My SO is in the same situation. I have sent letters to congressman, senators, state department, guangzhou consulate, all with no response.

I think the key issue here is the lack of transparency. The standard immigration process takes a while, but with websites like visajourney.com, you can get a rough sense for what is going on and set expectations accordingly. In the case of the CCP waiver, I don't think anyone knows enough to know if Guangzhou is the problem or if it is the state department in D.C.

My feeling is that with some new policy, they are asking the CCP member question of nearly every applicant and given the number of interviews per day, this is creating a huge backlog. The question is what is the next step of the process. A background check would require looking in a couple of databases. I can't imagine that taking 9+ months. I doubt they are doing much more because sending people all over China to perform background checks would be incredibly expensive. Plus, you never hear of anyone's relatives or employers being interviewed for these sorts of things... Again, this is conjecture. Is there an equivalent CCP-like delay happening to others applying for visas from other countries? (meaning is the problem larger than just China originating visas?)

I would love to know what people think is the best way forward. Has anyone attempted to ask an immigration lawyer to sue the government to obtain more detailed information? Should we band together as a class action and try to collect data from every person we can find who has gone through this or is waiting for this process for dates and durations of waiting? Should we contact the ACLU to try to obtain representation as our rights to "the pursuit of happiness" as citizens are clearly being trampled upon here. I think if people are interested, we can try something and armed with data we stand a better chance than without.

We've occasionally heard of "visits" from consulate personnel. But yes, the process is usually pretty much invisible

The consulate posted a response to this issue back in 2005, including a link to the 9FAM 40.34 Notes (Foreign Affairs Manual) concerning the applicable law. The updated link is http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86972.pdf

Communist Party Membership

The updated link to 9 FAM 41.81 N9.1 is http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87391.pdf (pertaining to fiance visas in a later post in the same thread).

The "new policy" BEGAN in Nov., 2002 in the "Black Hole" days after the 9/11attacks, and led to the founding of CFL.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hi all,

I have created a google form to get a better feel for the average wait times everyone is going through.

The link to the submission form is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_dq7BswkzVGty5FTJyYbUyILEmO2DlkkCE-z09640BU/viewform

The link to the results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahfjqg6-nM1GdFhoY2hOampvRzl1bk85aTFVdUk5eGc&usp=sharing

I have already entered my own info, please submit yours so we can all see.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have created a google form to get a better feel for the average wait times everyone is going through.

The link to the submission form is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_dq7BswkzVGty5FTJyYbUyILEmO2DlkkCE-z09640BU/viewform

The link to the results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahfjqg6-nM1GdFhoY2hOampvRzl1bk85aTFVdUk5eGc&usp=sharing

I have already entered my own info, please submit yours so we can all see.

Good luck to you with this endeavor, buddy. Some of us whose wives and children were treated as if their goal in life was to steal vital military secrets used to dream of something like this a few years ago. Sad to see it is the same old same old with the bastards in the US consulate in Guango, China.

And, good luck to your Chinese "victim" on getting her visa. For some, it just takes awhile. Sigh

tsap seui