Name the 2 greatest Presidents of the 20th century

Roosevelt and Reagan.

Roosevelt because he was able to bring this country out of the "Great Depression" with innovative ideas.

Reagan because he brought the feeling of Pride back to our country, and he broke the "Cold War" with his Star Wars ideas, even though they proved to be a myth after the Soviet Union had fell!

Just my opinion of course!

Patrick :lol:

mmmmmm interesting hard to argue about either,

even if didn't care for Reagan's "star wars analogies..aka the evil empire speech his determination to outspend the Russians certainly hastened the collapse of the Soviet union..... have to think about this before I give my answer. rat

I would agree with FDR. He was compasionate and cared enough about the little guy to start the WPA projects which invested in our infrastructure as well as bring us out of the depression. No way can I say Reagan. When Reagan took office the national debt was 660 billion dollars. After 12 years of Reagan Bush it was over 3 trillion dollars. Kennedy had the potential to be a great president but didn't live long enough. Gotta give the nod for the number two spot to Teddy Roosevelt. His creation of the National parks system was visionary.

Reagan and Clinton.

Reagan because he brought back the pride in our nation and the downfall of the Soviet Union.  Clinton because he will prove to be the demise of the Democratic party.

I agree.

Reagan was a great actor/leader who had great success with other leaders. Nancy was actually the person running the show the last term. Clinton's period was very prosperous for most people (jobs and gains in stock market). Bush is definitely the worst President (only care for war when so many people are out of work). Of course if you have money and a nice job now, you won't notice the unemployed.

Hey,

I think you all forgot what this forum was all about.

Nixon ended the Vietnam war. and I believe that he reopend China to US diplomatic relations. I believe that he was the first president to visit China since WWII.

Without him, none of you would be here today.

If he hadn't had a lapse of judgement in campaign policy (which was completely unnecessary), then he would be one of the great presidents of last century.

:unsure:

As far as Reagan,

True to the Republican ideals, he was very good at reducing taxes and increasing spending. Our National Debt increased to levels beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

http://www.lafn.org/politics/gvdc/Natl_Debts_Chart.GIF

(Budget Deficit)

------ Clifford ------

Nixon

If he hadn't had a lapse of judgement in campaign policy (which was completely unnecessary), then he would be one of the great presidents of last century.

:unsure:

------ Clifford ------

I completly agree, I also liked Jimmy Carter, if he didn't have the Iranian hostage thing ...he would have gottan a second term...... he was a great humanitarian and peacemaker...... I believe he would have made significant progress in the middle east.

rat

My vote: Truman and JFK (gee, and I'm a republican)

Truman: Moral man, ended WWII in the Pacific, placed us in first place as a world power, helped create Israel, dealt with race issues, ushered in great prosperity for the US, etc. If you've missed it, catch the HBO movie "Truman." Wonderful!!!!

JFK: Even tho not a moral man, he -- like Truman -- continued our position as a world power. Space race was far more than going to the moon. Created technology to protect US. Bold initiatives in race relationships (only for Clinton to screw it all up).

PS: Ask the Chinese, Clifford. It wasn't Nixon who opened the door to the East. It was Mao who opened the door to the West. Ask any Chinese person..... :unsure:

Wow.. this one really depends on how you judge a president.. by his moral standpoints, by his affect on the economy, by his influence as a world leader, as a person..

I'd have to say Thomas Jefferson. The man was a flat-out genious. He was a little quirky (what smart person isn't?), but he knew what it took to affect change, and was willing to take the risks. Albeit, as a president, he wasn't so hot, but as a statesman and as far as his effect on world politics go, he rules.

As #2.. I'm not sure.. I'll say Kennedy, though I reserve the right to change that :). He brought the country through very difficult times and helped advance the US as a superpower, both economically and technologically.

more later..

Cliff: be careful, any repbulican that sees your argument will tell you that the only reason the deficit went down is because a republican was in office the previous term, regardless of how long that republican was in term or how many republicans were in term before him. Who knows, I'm not an economist..