Can't get joint chcking account!!

We tried today to go get a joint checking account today at my Credit Union. I have banked there for 20 years.

They are telling us without a drivers license or US passport we cannot get a joint account. We have her SS#

How are we suppose to show AOS that we are co-mingling funds? I have not added her to the Internet or Electric bill yet.

Paperwork is done for AOS, we got the passport photos today so I will be sending in on Monday.

This is for K1 visa. thanks

Either got to a different branch, or demand a supervisor.

In my case all we needed to add my wife to any of my accounts were SSN, and Photo-ID (Chinese Passport), one branch asked to see a birth cert so we showed them Chinese birth cert+translation.

As for AOS, commingling of funds is NOT a requirement, this is something required to show later when filing to remove conditions on a two year conditional green-card.

Here is a guide for AOS, it is straight forward, only financial info needed is (copies of IRS returns or transcripts, employer letter and perhaps copies of 6 months paystubs) to be attached to I-864 or I-864EZ

Relationship evidence not needed for AOS, here is a guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

My mistake Dan. thanks again!

We had the Chinese passport, birth certificate and SS card. The poor woman that was helping us was trying to figure out some way for us to get a joint account. I told her not a big deal. I will go to the main office which is not far away and talk with them.

I have done so much research on everything I get confused sometimes on what exactly we need. I thought I had to have co-mingling of funds set up for AOS.

Tired head.

Thanks again!!!

We tried today to go get a joint checking account today at my Credit Union. I have banked there for 20 years.

They are telling us without a drivers license or US passport we cannot get a joint account. We have her SS#

How are we suppose to show AOS that we are co-mingling funds? I have not added her to the Internet or Electric bill yet.

Paperwork is done for AOS, we got the passport photos today so I will be sending in on Monday.

This is for K1 visa. thanks

Sounds like BS to me. Like Dan said,go to another branch or speak with the manager.

It's BS, I had no trouble adding my wife to my bank accounts once she had a SS number. This was prior to filing AOS. As Dan mentioned it's not required but I think it helps. For the record it's not required for any immigration steps. All that's required is evidence of an ongoing bonafide marriage which can be many things.

With a credit uniion you will need either a state ID or drivers license it is different, I have tried adding my wife to my credit union account and was told the same. I told the CSR that I would be closing my account then and they said they were sorry! :angry:

With adding my wife to my bank account all I needed was her SSN#.

Edited by dan_ling (see edit history)

With a credit uniion you will need either a state ID or drivers license it is different, I have tried adding my wife to my credit union account and was told the same. I told the CSR that I would be closing my account then and they said they were sorry! :angry:

Again BS...

My primary account is with a credit union, absolutly no problem opening a joint account, even less than adding to my HSBC account.

Again BS...

My primary account is with a credit union, absolutly no problem opening a joint account, even less than adding to my HSBC account.

Again BS...

Not necessarily BS. It will depend greatly on the credit union.

This is not the first credit union that has made this kind of policy. My wifes friend recently got married.

The husband tried to add her to his credit union account and was told the exact same thing.

Some credit unions still maintain their very strict guidelines that set them apart from banks.

While other credit unions have opened up their membership and become nothing more than a local bank.

As for AOS, commingling of funds is NOT a requirement, this is something required to show later when filing to remove conditions on a two year conditional green-card.

Dave, I question this. When ChunMei and I had our AOS interview the interviewer specifically asked to see a bank statement, then photocopied our ATM cards on the account. He actually said, "I need to see proof that you are actually comingling your assets."

Dave, I question this. When ChunMei and I had our AOS interview the interviewer specifically asked to see a bank statement, then photocopied our ATM cards on the account. He actually said, "I need to see proof that you are actually comingling your assets."

Hmmmmm.....well I guess I will go down to their main office and find out what I need to do. Your in Highlands Ranch yes Nick? We are in Aurora. I don't really want to bank somewhere else but if I have to I guess I will try another bank.