Replacing La Po's car already...

griz326

Bought Lao Po a 2001 Saturn in Appril. It's been a good little car.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to drive for another 6 months and Lao Po still cannot drive our big truck safely. As a result we must get a larger car with higher seats so I can get in and out ... and ... that she can drive safely. Reasonable fuel economy and AWD are important.

So far I'm looking at Subaru, Honda CRV, and Suzuki Grand Vitara but I know there are a lot of other small SUVs.

Anyone have good experiences with that class vehicle?

BTW - With luck, I expect to be well enough to be released on Thursday.

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

So far I'm looking at Subaru, Honda CRV, and Suzuki Grand Vitara but I know there are a lot of other small SUVs.

My parents bought a Subaru Forester and they really like it, the four-wheel drive is really good for those areas that get snow. However, it is essentially a station wagon and is like getting into a car so the seats might not be high enough given your back.

Hi,

We bought a Chevy Equinox for my wife four years ago.

It's almost as roomy as my Grand Cherokee, and with the six cylinder engine, it has decent performance. Fuel economy is about 23 mpg city/hwy average, but taking it easy on the highway, I can get 28 to 30 mpg. With the price of gasoline hovering close to $4 dollars a gallon, every little bit helps.

The engine and transmission are made in China, but the sticker said the rest of it was made in North America as defined by NAFTA.

Anyway, it's been reliable, and worth a look.

Best Wishes

There are so many models that it is difficult to find what you're looking for on a manufacturer's web site so recommendations are really appreciated.

I like Subaru's, but the seat height is nothing like a Ranger or Explorer...which maybe high enough.

30+ mpg would be super. I've heard VW has an SUV diesel that gets great gas mileage, but I don't know how long that's been around...

okay ignore all these other ideas listen to me. Lol. I found a great little cars in the honda element. I absolutely love it you can get it in 4 wheel drive if you need it 42 wheel drive if you don't. the inside of the car is amazing you can configure the rear seat even completely fold up off to the side. it is a honda so you know it will run forever. the seating is high off the ground so you will be able to get in and out of it easily.

I thought mine was 1 of the best cars around

okay ignore all these other ideas listen to me. Lol. I found a great little cars in the honda element. I absolutely love it you can get it in 4 wheel drive if you need it 42 wheel drive if you don't. the inside of the car is amazing you can configure the rear seat even completely fold up off to the side. it is a honda so you know it will run forever. the seating is high off the ground so you will be able to get in and out of it easily.

I thought mine was 1 of the best cars around

"...My parents bought a Subaru Forester and they really like it, the four-wheel drive is really good for those areas that get snow. However, it is essentially a station wagon and is like getting into a car so the seats might not be high enough given your back. ..."

I currently own a Forester, and before that , an Outback ---- the Forester is MUCH easier to enter and exit --- seats sit up high, but not a 'climb up' like many domestic 4 x 4's My experience is that it also has good (firm) comfort for lower, and upper back, but I can see how that would be a matter of personal fit.

Bought Lao Po a 2001 Saturn in Appril. It's been a good little car.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to drive for another 6 months and Lao Po still cannot drive our big truck safely. As a result we must get a larger car with higher seats so I can get in and out ... and ... that she can drive safely. Reasonable fuel economy and AWD are important.

Anyone have good experiences with that class vehicle?

BTW - With luck, I expect to be well enough to be released on Thursday.

I took my wife to test drive the CR-V as one of her options, she didn't like it that it was so small and wasn't enough room, so she also drove the Lexus GX, Acura MDX and Audi Q7, she liked the Q7 the most which she got.

Good luck on the car search, it can be fun.

Edited by cjr818 (see edit history)

I'll put in a recommendation for the Subaru Tribeca. It sits up higher like regular SUV so you might find it to be more comfortable to deal with than the Forester.

If you are allowed to consider a used one, the earlier Tribecas had transmission problems, but I hear that was resolved a year to two ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out a new Honda CRV, which was easy to get in and out of, but has very little power. Around here in Virginia getting on an Interstate quick is a must with the short on ramps.

I recently rented a Subaru Outback for a 900 mile trip. This has been the best vehicle I have ever taken on a trip. Both my Sisters had not one negative word for the Sub. They complain about any little thing, but not on the Sub.

How are you feeling?

I feel good. There is always pain, but I am no longer in screaming pain. More than anything, I'm sick 'n tired of being bedridden. I want to go climb a mountain or play around with Lao Po.

If only there were a magic wand to short-cut the recovery time!