Learning English

3timescharm

Today Na has her first private english lesson.....my stepfather is an ESL teacher. She will start formal classes Monday. This is also her first day at home by herself. So far she is addjusting very well....except for the time difference. I have to make her stay awake during the day and sleep at night :blink:

Since arriving on the 8th she has become friends with several Chinese speaking people here.....Charles's wife..(Newday2006) and some new friends at the Chinese restuarant here in town. I look forward to the time when we can meet others in the Atlanta area.

I was a little worried about how my family would treat her since my last marriage to a Russian woman was terrible.....but they love her.....they think she is just the sweetest thing :lol: .

I have noticed though that not only does she NOT like the stlye of clothes here in the USA but also doesn't like the price....she says our clothes are to expensive......I tell her that she is used to buying at the source :roller: .

I will keep everyone posted as time goes on

Robert

Today Na has her first private english lesson.....my stepfather is an ESL teacher. She will start formal classes Monday. This is also her first day at home by herself. So far she is addjusting very well....except for the time difference. I have to make her stay awake during the day and sleep at night :blink:

Since arriving on the 8th she has become friends with several Chinese speaking people here.....Charles's wife..(Newday2006) and some new friends at the Chinese restuarant here in town. I look forward to the time when we can meet others in the Atlanta area.

I was a little worried about how my family would treat her since my last marriage to a Russian woman was terrible.....but they love her.....they think she is just the sweetest thing :lol: .

I have noticed though that not only does she NOT like the stlye of clothes here in the USA but also doesn't like the price....she says our clothes are to expensive......I tell her that she is used to buying at the source :roller: .

Robert

Good to hear that everything is going smooth. Especially with the folks.

It will take a lot of time for all the little details to fall into place.

Be patient, be kind and be consistant.

Steve

Today Na has her first private english lesson.....my stepfather is an ESL teacher. She will start formal classes Monday. This is also her first day at home by herself. So far she is addjusting very well....except for the time difference. I have to make her stay awake during the day and sleep at night :P

I was a little worried about how my family would treat her since my last marriage to a Russian woman was terrible.....but they love her.....they think she is just the sweetest thing :P .

I have noticed though that not only does she NOT like the stlye of clothes here in the USA but also doesn't like the price....she says our clothes are to expensive......I tell her that she is used to buying at the source :lol: .

Robert

Interesting you mentioned that clothes are more expensive in the U.S. If you compare Chinese department store prices with U.S retail chains such as Sears, JCpenny, Kohls, etc., U.S. prices are comparable if not cheaper than Chinese. Last year I went to China trying to buy a pair of shoes and found out the prices there way too expensive.

Of course, if you took your wife to an upscale clothing store in your state, then it is a different story.

Today Na has her first private english lesson.....my stepfather is an ESL teacher. She will start formal classes Monday. This is also her first day at home by herself. So far she is addjusting very well....except for the time difference. I have to make her stay awake during the day and sleep at night :P

I was a little worried about how my family would treat her since my last marriage to a Russian woman was terrible.....but they love her.....they think she is just the sweetest thing :P .

I have noticed though that not only does she NOT like the stlye of clothes here in the USA but also doesn't like the price....she says our clothes are to expensive......I tell her that she is used to buying at the source :lol: .

Robert

Interesting you mentioned that clothes are more expensive in the U.S. If you compare Chinese department store prices with U.S retail chains such as Sears, JCpenny, Kohls, etc., U.S. prices are comparable if not cheaper than Chinese. Last year I went to China trying to buy a pair of shoes and found out the prices there way too expensive.

Of course, if you took your wife to an upscale clothing store in your state, then it is a different story.

We were at Kohl's :P :lol: :P

Robert

Maybe she's just converting to RMB in her head (?); that would certainly take our clothing costs out of context and make them seem sky-high.

I have noticed though that not only does she NOT like the stlye of clothes here in the USA but also doesn't like the price....she says our clothes are to expensive......I tell her that she is used to buying at the source <_< .

Robert

Maybe she's just converting to RMB in her head (?); that would certainly take our clothing costs out of context and make them seem sky-high.

If you convert $1 = 6.8 yuans, then a whole lot of clothes and shoes sold in the U.S are very cheap, when you compare with department store prices even in 2nd or 3rd tier cities in China. Of course, many clothes sold in China flea markets or small vendors in China city outskirts are very cheap, but those only last a few months (i.e. poor quality).

Maybe she was still thinking the old days exchange rate of $1 = 8.2 yuans?

Hey there ......oneday when you have a chance bring her to Flushing NY and she will see similar prices as in China, I am very fortunate to be living nearby that my wife still feels the strong ties to being close to home, since eveyone is from Fujin, Beijing , etc. it is unbelievable how many different areas people come from and live here in NYC. If you do come I would like to meet you and your lao po.

I have noticed though that not only does she NOT like the stlye of clothes here in the USA but also doesn't like the price....she says our clothes are to expensive......I tell her that she is used to buying at the source <_< .

Robert

I agree, but who buys from department stores in China? My wife had a similar perspective when she came to the US: didn't like the styles as much here, and prices were much higher than where she would normally shop in China (e.g., small markets with stalls like you can find in wudaokou in beijing). I assume this is the type of place Robert's wife was comparing to...

Hey there ......oneday when you have a chance bring her to Flushing NY and she will see similar prices as in China, I am very fortunate to be living nearby that my wife still feels the strong ties to being close to home, since eveyone is from Fujin, Beijing , etc. it is unbelievable how many different areas people come from and live here in NYC. If you do come I would like to meet you and your lao po.

Yup. I took my wife to Flushing last week and she can not wait to go back there.

My wife loves Ross Dress for Less and any/all outlet malls.

She can usually find something in the clearance racks for me, her, or family members. Sometimes we spend a whole day at an outlet mall and end up with just a few articles of clothing, but she enjoys shopping, I enjoy being with her, and it is a cheap way to spend a day out of the house and out of town.

My wife loves Ross Dress for Less and any/all outlet malls.

She can usually find something in the clearance racks for me, her, or family members. Sometimes we spend a whole day at an outlet mall and end up with just a few articles of clothing, but she enjoys shopping, I enjoy being with her, and it is a cheap way to spend a day out of the house and out of town.

Look-look. I do a lot of that with my tai tai. Spend hours going store to store and come home empty handed. She thinks it was a good day of shopping. :eyebrow:

I have also noticed that my Na loves to shop....but not spend :lol: . I love my Chinese wife :lol: