The big day

Try getting married in TN or in The Carolinas, without a SSN

K-1 is allowed to get SSN primarily to be able to marry withing states that require SSN to get a marriage license.

No SSN? No license to marry

Tuscaloosa is one of the few counties in the state enforcing a law that keeps non-citizens from the altar, and the Catholic Church says that law is forcing couples to live in sin. MORE..

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2007...icense-to-marry

So the answer is TRUE in certain parts of the USA.

In fact there is a federal law on the books that requires SSN to apply for a license ANY "License" this includes Drivers License and Marriage License. Most states do not enforce this for marriage, but the do enforce it for driver's license.

I can't speak for South Carolina but it was not required in North Carolina when my wife and I got married. In fact it was quite a while after we got married before she received her SSN. Something like a year. They would not issue her one because she did not have her green card yet. So we just put it on hold as she did not need to work.

A great deal of people in NC use to go to SC to get married because it was much easier.

Larry

Edit: All of this did take place 10 years ago so I can not speak for what the process is now. This is why I don't offer to much information along these lines.

My fiancee told me that women in her discussion group said that you can't get married stateside until you receive a Social Security card for her. Is this true?

If so... Nuts.

It depends where you are and different states have different rules.

I just arrived in the States for less than a month, and I was told (by the SSN officer)that I could not get a SSN before I get married.

So me and my fiance went to city hall to get married first and he will pick up the marriage license next week on Tus.

Edited by RBZ (see edit history)

My fiancee told me that women in her discussion group said that you can't get married stateside until you receive a Social Security card for her. Is this true?

If so... Nuts.

It depends where you are and different states have different rules.

I just arrived in the States for less than a month, and I was told (by the SSN officer)that I could not get a SSN before I get married.

So me and my fiance went to city hall to get married first and he will pick up the marriage license next week on Tus.

It is true that some states, but only a minority, require a SSN to get a marriage license.

However this is the first time I ever heard you had to get married to get a SSN???!!! I think they may have meant you needed to have at least applied for AOS first before applying for the SSN but even this is not true.