we are # 1

Guest Pommey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious what response is being sought.

Okay, there are poor people.

Should I sell my house, my car, my clothes so I have nothing and starve to death so that a few poor people can live a little better? Or would it be better for me to work really hard, invest most of what I earn, until I have enough money that I can retire early and go with my wife to teach in a poor, inner-province agricultural village in China?

Didn't some guy named Jesus say that the poor will always be with us (but he won't be with us)?

Matthew 26:11

Yeah, but not everyone is Christian.

Didn't some guy named Jesus say that the poor will always be with us (but he won't be with us)?

So only Christians are poor? Or is it the other way around?

It's neither, the poor will always be with us, he didn't specify that in the context of belief.

You must also know that there are many (I believe) wealthy people who are spiritually poor, so wealth, even in modest amounts is no savior by any means...IMHO

Guest Tony n Terrific

It's neither, the poor will always be with us, he didn't specify that in the context of belief.

You must also know that there are many (I believe) wealthy people who are spiritually poor, so wealth, even in modest amounts is no savior by any means...IMHO

I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

The parallel versions appear in Matthew 19:23-24, Mark 10:24-25 and Luke 18:24-25.

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[a] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

There was another thread... and I kinda called Rob on one of his posts... if he wanted one on the US he should do it... well.. I guess here it is.

I think he just is offering a balanced perspective; as you said, poverty is everywhere lest our eyes are closed.

In this respect, it's a valid topic to post if we don't want it mixed into the other one on china... It's not about an axe to grind (as someone suggested)... that's my take.

There was another thread... and I kinda called Rob on one of his posts... if he wanted one on the US he should do it... well.. I guess here it is.

I think he just is offering a balanced perspective; as you said, poverty is everywhere lest our eyes are closed.

In this respect, it's a valid topic to post if we don't want it mixed into the other one on china... It's not about an axe to grind (as someone suggested)... that's my take.

Thats exactly how I see it as well. On the contrary, I feel a certain someone has insinuated that most here have no clue about the quality of life for most in China as we are blinded by the luxury of our 5 star hotel. I have seen no one here debate the low quality of life for most in China. The only debate has been to the level of improvement being made.

Also, I think one needs to differentiate between the standard of living and quality of life and being 'poor'. I define poor as your amount of net equity, ie what you own outright. While most in America enjoy a higher standard of living and quality of life than most, I would contend that some of the poorest in the world are right here in america. Many poor here have debts that far exceed assets and are so far in the whole with limited earning potential that they will never see daylight. I admit that this is partly due to the lack of discipline to live within one's means, which people in China are very good about. But it is also partly due to the higher cost of living here. And I am sure there are many more reasons, perhaps mostly even being their own fault. But still the fact remains that some of the poorest in the world are right here in the US.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Thats exactly how I see it as well. On the contrary, I feel a certain someone has insinuated that most here have no clue about the quality of life for most in China as we are blinded by the luxury of our 5 star hotel. I have seen no one here debate the low quality of life for most in China. The only debate has been to the level of improvement being made.

Also, I think one needs to differentiate between the standard of living and quality of life and being 'poor'. I define poor as your amount of net equity, ie what you own outright. While most in America enjoy a higher standard of living and quality of life than most, I would contend that some of the poorest in the world are right here in america. Many poor here have debts that far exceed assets and are so far in the whole with limited earning potential that they will never see daylight. I admit that this is partly due to the lack of discipline to live within one's means, which people in China are very good about. But it is also partly due to the higher cost of living here. And I am sure there are many more reasons, perhaps mostly even being their own fault. But still the fact remains that some of the poorest in the world are right here in the US.

The only 2 growth industries in the US since 1973 is government and poverty.

Not everyone is Christian, so not everyone will find that a persuasive argument.

I consider it truth, but I can't force someone else who doesn't hold the same belief system to consider it truth, too.

The most dangerous people in the world are the ones who know they are absolutely right. The ones who say "if your god isn't my god then you are wrong and going to hell." I have absolutely no use for people who's thinking is so rigid they can't accept that another person's religion or lack there of is just as valid as theirs.

The most dangerous people in the world are the ones who know they are absolutely right. The ones who say "if your god isn't my god then you are wrong and going to hell." I have absolutely no use for people who's thinking is so rigid they can't accept that another person's religion or lack there of is just as valid as theirs.

So true Carl. The unfortunate thing is that you just described the viewpoint of a large percentage of the world population.

So true Carl. The unfortunate thing is that you just described the viewpoint of a large percentage of the world population.

You're right and it's also probably the #1 cause of wars.

Too many Americans forget that this country was founded on freedom of religion. That same freedom of religion also means freedom of no religion or a religion different than the majority. This is one area of democracy where the majority does not rule.

Ah.

I was getting a Sally Struthers infommercial vibe, but I wasn't sure that was actually the point.