Wife name change when married?

• 3 weeks later...

Jin, that comment seems to be somewhat speculative. I could care less if my wife takes my name or not as it won't make me love her any more or any less. In fact, I know several women who decided not to take their husband's last name, my sister-in-law being one of them.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

i am chinese, so kept my family name, i always wonder why westen men expect their wifes to change their name, would you ?

I certainly would change my name. If there is anything I prefer it is simplicity. Im America it does make things simple if husband and wife have the same last names.

So who changes their name? . . . easy....the one that requires least effort.

If I were to live in China I would take a Chinese name instantly. I also would learn to write it in perfect Chinese fashion.

B)

i am chinese, so kept my family name, i always wonder why westen men expect their wifes to change their name, would you ?

It's because it is customary within the western culture. That has been changing lately and many are doing the hyphenated name. I know a work mate who changed his name to the hyphenated style. He took his wife's family name then a hyphen and his family name.

My wife decided she wanted to follow western culture and took my last name. The passport issue was simple. It made for a good reason to visit and show her San Francisco. We stopped at the consulate passport visa office and had them add a statement to the passport on one of the observation pages. It simply read, "The bearer of the passport is also known as XXXXXXXX". Makes traveling easy. No carrying extra documents, just green card and passport.