Is English Invading Chinese Culture?

Owen and Mick,

Ahh, thanks for the insight. As a admitted poor speaker of Chinese (and worse than poor at listening / understanding) this now makes more sense to me now. I am glad that my fiance and I are very flexible with our communication. Often our conversation leads to many laughing sessions as mistakes are uncovered.

One day she was telling me several phrases the teacher taught the class the day. Some were indeed from the old world of Englamerica or Amergland. Then she told me "F*** Y**". I asked F*** Y**? She said "yes, F*** Y**". After cracking up I found out the teacher told her when in America she may hear "F*** Y**" if an American gets angry. But he did not tell her the literal meaning. I informed her and we had a good laugh.

I once heard that there are only 2 lauguages you can learn and be able to comunicate with 1/2 the world , English , and Chinese . It will be a long time before I can do that by my self . Wait it will only be a few months :D When my future wife gets here I wont have to do every thing by my self Ill have my best friend , my lover , my wife :wacko:

Ladd

Technically, the "F" word originated in Medieval England. In those days the King owned everything, including the women, and no man was permitted to have sexual relationships with a women until the king decided if he wanted her for himself. In order to wed (be with a woman) you needed the kings permission, in receiving such approval you were permitted to hang a sign above your door which stated "Fornicating Under Consent of the King", shortened to F. U. C. K.

For those of you who really wanted to know.

I read once that F***'s origin was from early medieval times , specifically the Battle of Agincourt, when the British archers decimated the French cavalry during the 100 years war....sorry Eric....anyway, the French had been in the habit of cutting off the bow fingers of the captured British archers, so after the battle of Agincourt, the archers all showed the Frenchies their Middle fingers and yelled "Pluck you!" which eventually evolved into both the gesture and expression that we all know and love...

Chinadave