My computer went down on me

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

My computer has been acting up lately. Today I could not pull it up at all. It just said no signal on the screen. I tried and tried to restart it but to no avail.

My wife and I where planning on buying a new computer after she arrived here in the USA. Now we may have our hand forced to buy one now. What kind of programs are the market now like Vista etc. My computer knowledge is on the scale of a Laurel and Hardie movie. Funny but not to bright. Any suggestions?

Try pulling the power plug and then plugging it back in. This will reset the power supply if it blew a breaker. Listen for the beep, and watch the lights on the front panel to see if any come on.

Just something cheap and easy to try, if you want to give it one more shot.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My computer has been acting up lately. Today I could not pull it up at all. It just said no signal on the screen. I tried and tried to restart it but to no avail.

My wife and I where planning on buying a new computer after she arrived here in the USA. Now we may have our hand forced to buy one now. What kind of programs are the market now like Vista etc. My computer knowledge is on the scale of a Laurel and Hardie movie. Funny but not to bright. Any suggestions?

I'm kind of a tinkerer and would be looking at video (monitor) cable connection at back of computer and/or maybe video card (cheap to replace these days).

As a large format printer installer who delves into many client's computers daily, I do not like Vista operating system or HP's computers that are packed with tons of HP's proprietary protective software, or McAfee or Norton). Sorry Vista or HP fans. Nice computers, but sometimes monsters to install on.

How about calling Dell and have them configure something over the phone with Windows XP. They can do that. Good luck. Honestly think it may just be video card. Perhaps boot computer and keep pressing F8 during boot and see if it starts in "Safe-mode"? Then perhaps it is just video card driver?

How dead is dead ?

' It just said no signal on the screen.' could be a few different things.

But - remove all the cables, and put all the cables back in, turn it on, listen for BEEPS, and COUNT the BEEPS.

Any tech will want to know the BEEP COUNT.

You sure you don't have a good tech in your area ? Most charge 60 bucks/hour for in -house bench time.

FWIW, don't reformat the hard drive - save it, put it in new computer as secondary drive.

My frist thought is the Video card or make shure the connection is good on the cables on monitor both sides.... Unless the computer doesn't power up, you would normally get an error message or the BSOD(Blue Screen of Death). Good luck. Computers are very cheap nowadays, still, I hope you don't have to get one.

How dead is dead ?

But - remove all the cables, and put all the cables back in, turn it on, listen for BEEPS, and COUNT the BEEPS.

You sure you don't have a good tech in your area ? Most charge 60 bucks/hour for in -house bench time.

FWIW, don't reformat the hard drive - save it, put it in new computer as secondary drive.

Maybe not a great idea?....what if problem turns out to be virus related?

I'm sorry Tony but "my computer went down on me"... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
:shutup: Great minds think alike. :smartass:

what he said...

http://i35.tinypic.com/24g8ta1.gif

Cuzin' uRkiDdiN'mE....you are a bad man, there is no hope for you :D

And I like you for it... :lol:

tsap seui

Guest Tony n Terrific

How dead is dead ?

Maybe not a great idea?....what if problem turns out to be virus related?

My computer magician tells me it is the hard drive that about go pftt-t. She recomends instaling a new hard drive with 320 Gig and a external back up sytem of 500 gigs plus additional memory. She also has my wifes blessing to hurry up and fix it.