China will produce the world's fastest train

Guest Tony n Terrific

China is providing a fast and economical way to move its citizens. The Europeans do also. Why can't the US do this? We could save so much in energy and cut down on the pollution plus get to know our neighbor once again.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2008-09/...ent_6985541.htm

The infrastructure of our railway system sucks big time. The rails we have in use now couldn't handle the speed that is talked about. Also as Americans we don't want to be stuck on one of those things. We want to be the king of the road and burn the oil to our own tune. I'm not trying to say this is what everybody wants, but there is a big enough numbers that want it...... Oh, the final killer of why we don't do it is we don't want to know our neighbors, that way they can't sue us...... :unsure:

It would be great to see some high speed railway development, but I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon here in the US.

Least we forget how mismanaged our railway system is because AMTrack is a government organization. So they can't make enough money to buy a pair of shoe laces, just how are they going to maintain a railway structure let alone upgrade the system. The only way for America to improve it's rail system is for AMTrack to go private. Only this way could they make the correct decisions to get something done. Ticket prices are too close to air travel at the moment. So why should I sit on a train when I can be there in a fraction of the time. At least in China, prices are different enough you can save a lot of money. The train is our families normal travel method between Guangzhou and Nanning.

what happens if you would rather not have this train go by your house.You demand an enviromental impact study. Find a butterfly in the area and declare it endangered. Tie it up in courts for 10 years. The american way :D

Most rails now go through industrial area now, however all you have to do is offer someone enough money. Somehow, their priorities seem to change.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Our house in Qionghai, Hainan is about 1 km from the station where the new high-speed commuter train will stop to service the east coast of Hainan Island. In minutes we can be in the capitol, Haikou, or in about an hour the beaches of Sanya. It will be a huge impetus to the growth of Hainan Island... :lol: Our house in Yuxi, Yunnan is one block from the train station where you can travel to the north to Kunming and thence all of China by rail. Soon railines will be completed to allow travel to the south to all of Southeast Asia...It is a huge impetus to the growth of Yunnan... :lol:

Our house in Wisconsin is half way between the 2 largest cities of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and Madison. There is already a railine in place that Amtrak uses like once a week for long distance service. A rail service between Madison and Milwaukee would be a great thing for development of these smaller towns and reduce people sitting in their cars and commuting long distances. It will NEVER happen... :D

Least we forget how mismanaged our railway system is because AMTrack is a government organization. So they can't make enough money to buy a pair of shoe laces, just how are they going to maintain a railway structure let alone upgrade the system. The only way for America to improve it's rail system is for AMTrack to go private. Only this way could they make the correct decisions to get something done. Ticket prices are too close to air travel at the moment. So why should I sit on a train when I can be there in a fraction of the time. At least in China, prices are different enough you can save a lot of money. The train is our families normal travel method between Guangzhou and Nanning.

what happens if you would rather not have this train go by your house.You demand an enviromental impact study. Find a butterfly in the area and declare it endangered. Tie it up in courts for 10 years. The american way :D

Most rails now go through industrial area now, however all you have to do is offer someone enough money. Somehow, their priorities seem to change.

I wasn't aware that AmTrack was a government ran organization. I thought the government got out of all the railway systems...... :lol:

what happens if you would rather not have this train go by your house.You demand an enviromental impact study. Find a butterfly in the area and declare it endangered. Tie it up in courts for 10 years. The american way :(

I wasn't aware that AmTrack was a government ran organization. I thought the government got out of all the railway systems...... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak

Has been since 1971 and I am not aware that it has changed.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Of course it's government run. Why else would it provide such great service and value?

But Don... :huh: In China the government does run the rails... :P What's the difference??? :D

China runs Amtrak? :blink:

I think you meant to say "owns". B)

They bought that too... :o Up in this neck of the woods the CanadiensHey already bought up all our tracks and now with the once mighty $ lower than a snake's belly everybody's getting in the act...Chinese buying up houses in LA, South Americans snapping up condos in Miami...We're for sale and we're cheap... ;)

So anywho EVERYONE here now concedes that a centrally planned economy can do some things better than the free market... :o

Of course it's government run. Why else would it provide such great service and value?

But Don... :huh: In China the government does run the rails... :P What's the difference??? :D

China runs Amtrak? :blink:

I think you meant to say "owns". B)

They bought that too... :o Up in this neck of the woods the CanadiensHey already bought up all our tracks and now with the once mighty $ lower than a snake's belly everybody's getting in the act...Chinese buying up houses in LA, South Americans snapping up condos in Miami...We're for sale and we're cheap... ;)

So anywho EVERYONE here now concedes that a centrally planned economy can do some things better than the free market... :o

Looks like a consensus. ;)

I guess due to dense population, it is more economical (and environmental friendly) to travel by train in China.

I just made a round trip between Chengdu and Chongqing. It used to be around 10 hour train ride (each way). Then the freeway was build about ten years ago. The trip was cut down to 4 hours by bus. Now a section of new railway was build, the train ride is less than 4 hours. (I see potential of reducing this trip to within 2 hours). Many people now prefer train over bus due to cost and comfort. People still drive. But driving cost a lot more from gas and toll.

isn't it amazing what some countries can do with their infrastructure when they don't have to blow all their money fighting terrorism almost singlehandedly, being the policeman to the world and taking care of the welfare countries of the world who in return spit in our face....how about the fact that we support isreal and their ideals and also hand over millions to the palestinians....something wrong with this picture?