Black List?

I left China in May and while passing through the security check at the Shanghai airport I was questioned about having a small knife in my back pack. I completely forgot about having one (one of those small swiss ones) and said I did not have one. Security opened my bag and pulled out the small pocket knife. They then took out a book and copied information from my passport into the book with a description of the contraband item that I seemingly attempted to sneak in.

Most likely it's nothing to be too worried about but I am wondering if this is black list will cause the Chinese embassy to deny my visa the next time I visit China.

Anythings possible - but -

they are required to keep a log of contraband items found, anything past the liquid containers.

You can find out for certain when you apply for a china visa again at a consulate in the usa. If you are denied, well, there's the affirmative answer.

If your visa is unexpired, and you go back in - who knows?

Security Measures were heightened prior and during the Olympics. Now that the Olympics are over, MAYBE security will lax again.

again - WHO KNOWS?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

they are required to keep a log of contraband items found, anything past the liquid containers.

You can find out for certain when you apply for a china visa again at a consulate in the usa. If you are denied, well, there's the affirmative answer.

Security Measures were heightened prior and during the Olympics. Now that the Olympics are over, MAYBE security will lax again.

again - WHO KNOWS?

This is one reason I don't even take the pocket knife I carry all of the time here in the states. I could put it in my checked bag, but my luck would be that I would do the same thing an forget to put it back in there when I was returning to the states.

Years back when I was flying to Chicago I had a keychain made from an empty blank 50 cal bullet shell. They almost didn't let me keep it because it was considered a no no to take on the plane. This was before 9-11 happened because if it was after I'm sure they would have taken it and then made me submit to a more intense search. :headbang:

Guest Rob & Jin

again - WHO KNOWS?

This is one reason I don't even take the pocket knife I carry all of the time here in the states. I could put it in my checked bag, but my luck would be that I would do the same thing an forget to put it back in there when I was returning to the states.

Years back when I was flying to Chicago I had a keychain made from an empty blank 50 cal bullet shell. They almost didn't let me keep it because it was considered a no no to take on the plane. This was before 9-11 happened because if it was after I'm sure they would have taken it and then made me submit to a more intense search. :headbang:

Corbin, if you did this now you would probably be looking at a long vacation in Cuba :sosad:

again - WHO KNOWS?

Corbin, if you did this now you would probably be looking at a long vacation in Cuba :wub:

Always wanted to see Cuba...... DUH wouldn't see much would I....... :sosad:

I left China in May and while passing through the security check at the Shanghai airport I was questioned about having a small knife in my back pack. I completely forgot about having one (one of those small swiss ones) and said I did not have one. Security opened my bag and pulled out the small pocket knife. They then took out a book and copied information from my passport into the book with a description of the contraband item that I seemingly attempted to sneak in.

Most likely it's nothing to be too worried about but I am wondering if this is black list will cause the Chinese embassy to deny my visa the next time I visit China.

It's simply contraband that you are not supposed to board the plane with. I think they keep it for a while before they discard it. No penallties, other than that it is confiscated.

Incidentally, on my last trip, I did the same thing, but it was never found through three security checkpoints, including at the consulate. My camera gear provides a good distraction.

Alright sort of off topic, but this is a story for how silly airport security can be.

The setting Chicago O'Hare Airport about 4 weeks after 9-11. Our airports were still being protected by (I hate to say this) the National Guard with LIVE ammo. I never felt more unsafe in my life.

Anyway there was this old guy (like 80 years old), trying to get on a plane from Chicago to New York City Our brave security folks found a object in his pocket that was pointed, almost like a ninja throwing star, but smaller. They kept asking him what the object was and he kept telling the guards and the National Guard folks to just turn it over and read it. That would explain what it was.

Well to make a long story short the man finally let them keep the object and headed off to New York.

What was the object? Well the man had been invited to speak to the cadets at West Point. The object he had to surrender was his Medal of Honor he had won in the closing days of World War II.

The reason he kept telling them to read the back because it had his name, the date along with the fact this was presented to him by President Truman hand inscribed on the back of it.

Luckily the folks who picked him up took this seriously and were able to get his medal retrieved from the trash at the security check point before the thing went to the landfill.

OK I know off topic, but just goes to show you what security at the airports are like!!!!

Alright sort of off topic, but this is a story for how silly airport security can be.

The setting Chicago O'Hare Airport about 4 weeks after 9-11. Our airports were still being protected by (I hate to say this) the National Guard with LIVE ammo. I never felt more unsafe in my life.

Anyway there was this old guy (like 80 years old), trying to get on a plane from Chicago to New York City Our brave security folks found a object in his pocket that was pointed, almost like a ninja throwing star, but smaller. They kept asking him what the object was and he kept telling the guards and the National Guard folks to just turn it over and read it. That would explain what it was.

Well to make a long story short the man finally let them keep the object and headed off to New York.

What was the object? Well the man had been invited to speak to the cadets at West Point. The object he had to surrender was his Medal of Honor he had won in the closing days of World War II.

The reason he kept telling them to read the back because it had his name, the date along with the fact this was presented to him by President Truman hand inscribed on the back of it.

Luckily the folks who picked him up took this seriously and were able to get his medal retrieved from the trash at the security check point before the thing went to the landfill.

OK I know off topic, but just goes to show you what security at the airports are like!!!!

It happened to this guy too! What are the odds?

http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.asp

I threw away most of the medals they gave me for flying combat in Vietnam...guess I'm safe to keep flyin' the friendly skies :rolleyes:

I did put one of my air medals for combat flight time in my checked in luggage so I could give it to my fiancee's father as a gift from my heart.

It made it all the way to Chinatucky and now sits with all his Chairman Mao buttons and pins from the sixties.

tsap seui

Somewhere in the bowels of O'Hare there is a pair of small folding travel scissors "they" got from my at the time 70 year old mother. I'm sad her brother passed away, I was looking forward to the story of her "full cavity search". 8 year olds and congressmen on the terrorist watch list? I think the terrorists won.

i gave my b¨¤ba a real nice utility knife the last time i was over there with the insignia of the company i work for engraved on the side. it was a really nice tool with all the gadgets.

anyways he loved it.

he travels back and forth from the south all the time so one of the trips he had it in his carry on.

yes he forgot it, he told the officers that it was important because his son in law gave it to him and that he really didnt want to loose it.

they wrote down all the information and he went on his way.

when he got back into beijing he went back to the counter and got his knife back.