Hong Kong to China

Hi All,

Well, since I don't know if that China-HK tunnel Tony mentioned is open to the general public ...

I need to figure out a different way to get from Hong Kong to the mainland. :)

Couple questions:

1. Are there any buses or other forms of transportation that go straight from HK airport to the mainland?

2. I am arriving 10 PM. Would I be able to catch a bus that evening to the mainland (Guangzhou, Foshan, or Nanhai)? I'd actually rather not sleep in Hong Kong that night, but go straight to the mainland.

3. If this doesn't work, any hotel recommendations? Should I book something before I arrive?

I am not a very detailed-oriented person UNTIL a big event comes upon me and I have those scary thoughts and visions of being in a different country and not having a place to sleep or figure out where I am going. Then I hit the panic button. This is just my modus operandi. Thanks everyone!

Thanks,

P.J.

If you arrive at 10pm will you still need to get your luggage and clear customs? I've stayed in HK many times. I actually like the place but they drive on the wrong side of the road. And, they speak a language closely resembling English. (haha) My thought is that it is rather late to cross the boarder and have reliable transportation in China. There is a border to SZ that is supposed to be open 24hrs now so it can be done if you really want to.

I've actually done it a couple times and the absolute easiest is to take an airport shuttle van/bus to Shenzhen. It's HK $180 for a one-way or HK $300 for a round-trip. The problem you have is your arrival time at HK airport. I'm not positive but I don't think the shuttles run that late. If they do, then I recommend you take one. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Shenzhen (there's only one, on Nanyou Road) and it's very nice and very reasonably priced. The shuttle will take you right to that Holiday Inn.

I've also taken the airport rail to Kowloon then the train from Kowloon to the border crossing and I think you can do that well into the night. I just wouldn't at all recommend it. It can be a little confusing, not good to do at that hour of night, and where the airport rail lets you off in Kowloon is not right next to the train that goes to the border. It's also underground. And once you're on that train it seems to take forever to get to the end of the line, the border, where you need to go through customs again.

If you were to stay at the Holiday Inn in Shenzhen, from there you can take a taxi to the bus station that will take you to Guangzhou. By bus, it will take you 1 hour and 50 minutes. The first bus leaves at 6:15AM; the last, about 7:00PM, maybe 7:30PM. There are many, many buses that make that trip daily. The return trip on bus from Guangzhou also runs frequently. I don't remember the cost for this bus but it's reasonable and much better than by train to Guangzhou.

Hey PJ,

Like Bob said, the bus to Shenzhen from HK airport will not be available that late. I think you'd better stay one night at HK. You can take the Airport Express train from the Airport, get down at the "HongKong Station", then take a texi to go to a nearest hotel. I know there have lots of hotels in that area. And next morning, you can take a texi to HongKan Train Staion, it will took you around $80 HK dollars to be there. You take the train there directly to LuoHu customs (the last station of the train), which connects with Shenzhen and Hongkong. The ticket will take you $33 HK dollars. When you arrive LuoHu and get out of the train, you just need to follow with other people to pass through the customs of Hongkong and Shenzhen. Then you will be in Shenzhen!!

I don't suggest you take the MTR(Subway) in HK to find the way to Shenzhen, as there has no direct line and you will be confused.

Anyway, everyone in HK speaks English and I think you can easily set up your route by asking staff's in the Airport or other people.

Maggie

Hi PJ,

This is Jim and the shuttle does run that late. I was just there in April of this Year. The people I got the Info from in Shenzhen wasn't sure either about the time. I did not prarange anything so I was also worried. All for no need it is very simple I arrived in HongKong. About 11:00 PM. After You pick up your bags and go threw customs. You walk to the counter where You can pick up tickets for the Airport express train To HongKong. Well right behind them are the Shuttle and Limo service counters. There should be a couple of real nice girls willing to help You out sell You a ticket for 180 HK and show you where to wait until the next van is available. The vans are nice almost new or new. They will take You to the border crossing at Shenzhen. There is more then one but at that time only one is open. I Think you want to go to the crosing at Lo Wu. From there a taxi to the Bus or train station to GZ. should only be 13.50 Yuan. Then Your ticket to GZ. I had much worry for nothing it was simple and I got to see My Darling that Night. I also did not want to stay in HK over night by myself like I did the first time. I do have to say I got a nice room that I booked at the airport on the spot for only about $45.US. And it was easy to cross by Train. In the morning. You get the train at the main station Homdong Station in Kowloon. Best Of Luck. And Have a great time.

Wish I could be Going. Jim

I was in HK/SZ last November. I wouldn't recommend the train unless you're travelling light. LoWu can be pretty crazy and is not the safest place in the world. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably take the hovercraft. Apparently it lands in SZ right at a hotel and the border crossing isn't a hassle at all.

When going back to HK, I took the bus.. that wasn't too bad.. I only speak basic Chinese, so I was a little afraid I wouldn't know what lines to stand in or where to go.. Luckily, as soon as I got on the bus, a nice woman slapped my chest with a sticker and whenever the bus stopped (twice, once for each border-crossing station) another woman would put me in the correct lines (I don't remember the name of the bus line, but the sticker was pink).

I'm planning on return to SZ sometime in the next few months (for the interview).. I'm going to look into flying directly to that airport (SZX, I think), but only if she is going to meet me there, as I can't read Chinese at all (short of "ShenZhen" and my name)..

Hi PJ,

Whatever you decide to do keep in mind "SAFETY FIRST". From the time you flight arrives in HK. If you are trying to get to GZ you can expect to get there at about 2 AM give and take a little. It is better to stay one night at HK and take the train directly from HK to GZ the next day The staff at the hotel will be able to tell you how and where to get the train. It is much easier and safer to do that then being on the road late at night in China.

Take care and have a safe trip.

I agree it is better to stay in HK for one night.

Trust me you do not want to be arriving anywhere in Mainland China for the first time at 2:00 am.

I suggest you could stay at the YMCA Hotel in HK it is clean and pretty cheap, only between $25 & $50 P/N-US depending on what type of room you get. Basically you just want a place to shower, sleep and get an early start the next morning. Having been to HK several times by time you get from the airport to the hotel you will be pretty wired and the YMCA is in a very popular and safe neighborhood. After you check in you should just go out and take a walk around and enjoy your night in HK

The bus from the airport to the YMCA Hotel is around $12 US and drops you off right in front of the YMCA. This also puts you close to the train station and it is less then an hour to SZN. HK airport it is very easy to find your way to the bus company and in a little while you will be in Kowloon, at the YMCA Hotel, which is a very nice area to stay in.

A taxi will charge you aroung $60 US from the airport to the hotel, so do take the bus it is very easy and safe.

So you could get a very good nights sleep, and be completely refreshed and in SZN by noon time the next day.

Guangzhou, is only about a litle less the two hours from HK.

So when are you going to China??

Any questions PM me.

One other quick note about the train. Getting a ticket is pretty easy, they have machines, but I just went over to the counter and bought one. I thought I had a first class ticket, and got on the FC car. I was told by some people there from New Zealand that I actually had a general ticket, but no one bothered me. I'd definately recommend getting a first class ticket though, it was roomier and easier to get on/off.

When I was in HK, I stayed in the Empire Kowloon. It was only about 4 blocks from the train station (though I still took a taxi). I think it was around $75USD/night, but it was 4 star and pretty nice (though the rooms were about as large as a small bedroom by US standards).

I'd have to recommend staying the night in HK. If nothing else, its much easier to navigate by daylight. I'd go with a bus over the train at the very least. One trick is to take a hotel bus, regardless of whether or not you are actually staying at the hotel. That way you can tell your fiancee to meet you at a known location and you don't have to wrestle too much with bus stations.

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the valuable insight.

I've decided to stay in Hong Kong that night. Several people have brought up a very good point that it probably wouldn't be such a good idea to try to cross over to the mainland in the middle of the night. I figure I'll take a bus from the airport over to Kowloon, and then stay the night at a hotel there. That'll be close to the Star Ferry and bus stations.

Thanks again, I will keep safe and enjoy my trip.

P.J.

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

Well, since I don't know if that China-HK tunnel Tony mentioned is open to the general public ...

I need to figure out a different way to get from Hong Kong to the mainland. :huh:

Couple questions:

1. Are there any buses or other forms of transportation that go straight from HK airport to the mainland?

2. I am arriving 10 PM. Would I be able to catch a bus that evening to the mainland (Guangzhou, Foshan, or Nanhai)? I'd actually rather not sleep in Hong Kong that night, but go straight to the mainland.

3. If this doesn't work, any hotel recommendations? Should I book something before I arrive?

I am not a very detailed-oriented person UNTIL a big event comes upon me and I have those scary thoughts and visions of being in a different country and not having a place to sleep or figure out where I am going. Then I hit the panic button. This is just my modus operandi. Thanks everyone!

Thanks,

P.J.

I took a direct bus to "Yantian-ShenZhen 'ShaTouJiao' Border Crossing",about 20 minutes and $30HK.

On the China side,just take local bus,about 20 minutes,to anywhere in ShenZhen.

YanTian ShaTouJiao is clean,quiet,and has several very nice hotels right in front of the border crossing.

Good food.

Nice walking.

A lot less hectic than the other border crossings.

Good luck!!!

pj,

i'm flying to hong kong airport and bus to china in januray. there is a bus service from hong kong airport to china at 18:45 right now, but during the chinese new year they will add more schedules. you need to check after december 2008.

Since you are arriving so late, your options are limited:

1. Go to the Hong Kong airport website for information on transportation like buses and ferries.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/index.html

2. Go to the airport counter A1 for information but when I arrived most of the agencies were closed at 10:35pm.

3. You can try Skylimo the last bus/minivan is at ~10:50pm. I think they are the last bus service out of the airport. You are limited to one small carrry on and one other bag. You can also try taxis into China.

Skylimo will take you to Huangguan Border in Shenzhen. Huangguan is opened 24hrs while LoWu shutdowns at midnight. Once in Shenzhen, you have to get another taxi.

Skylimo's number is 0755-8360-9002 and 0755-8395-2068

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)