Hong Kong Airport to Guangzhou express bus

I'm considering taking the express bus from the Hong Kong airport to Guangzhou. The bus cost is about $40 compared to $150 by plane, so I'll save a bundle round trip.

In the past, I've always taken the taxi or subway to the Hung Hom train station in Kowloon, then ride the train into mainland China. But, it's a pain dragging a suitcase through the train station, up/down the escalator then on/off the train itself. So, I think the bus may be an easier way to go.

Just wondering if anyone has taken the bus before and had any problems or comments. Is there a stop for customs on the mainland border? Is the bus ever full?

http://ctsbus.hkcts.com/routes/air/air_guangzhou.html

Steve

Yeah Steve we took it...Very easy and nice ride...Not full...Yeah you sure do have to get out and carry all your luggage through customs to enter the PRC and then the bus is waiting for you on the other side...except it's a different bus of course...left hand right hand... :D

I flew into Hong Kong on two of my trips to Guangzhou, and took the bus each time. Also took the bus back to Hong Kong each time.

On the first trip, I arrived in Hong Kong a little before 6:00 a.m. on a Sunday. The airport was mostly deserted, but I found my way to where the bus was supposed to depart. A few minutes before its departure time a young lady came and sold tickets and put a round label on my shirt to specify where I was going (Garden Hotel, Guangzhou).

The bus stopped shortly after it left the airport. All passengers had to debark and go through a building, getting their passports checked and stamped. Then we got back on the bus. We stopped again about ten minutes later and this time we all had to take our luggage from the bus and take it inside the building. This time everything was put through security, much like clearing security at an airport. This time everyone changed to whichever bus was headed for our respective destinations. The label on my shirt is what saved me. The young ladies outside the building showed me which bus to board.

The trip took about 2.5 hours on a Sunday morning with the traffic light. It usually takes 3+ hours.

On my second trip I arrived late-afternoon and bought my ticket at a counter at the airport. They immediately rushed me (the girl ran and I ran after her with my luggage on a cart) to a waiting van. The van driver showed the passports for all passengers and got them stamped at the first checkpoint without anyone leaving the van, then sped onward to the building where we all had to go inside to have our baggage run through security.

This was going a lot faster than my first trip until a tire blew out on the bus about an hour out of Guangzhou. It took them a long time to get another bus there to take us on to Guangzhou, so I didn't arrive until around 11:00 that night.

At least the flights in and out of Hong Kong were on time.

Good luck with your trip.

Yes, I took this bus once. But, it was 4 years ago. Same thing as these guys said. Seemed simple enough at the time considering I spent the night sleeping on a bench in the airport with nothing much to do until the bus counter opened the next morning.

No, the bus was not full. Yes, enough people were seasoned travelers who spoke English and were willing to help give directions/advice. Pay attention to the instructions. Don't lose your luggage 'cuz you didn't know you need to take it with you when the bus change takes place at the China entry point.

At that time we went to the China Hotel near the old Guz airport.

Actually since there is no continuity of security, it didn't surprise me. It would be easy to add contraband after leaving the plane and before arriving in China on the bus. Plus China has its own rules about what is permissible to bring into the country.

When you land at Narita airport, the Japanese require debarking passengers from China to clear security the minute they leave the plane before they are allowed proceed to the gate for their connecting flight.

If you fly out of Hong Kong to return to the U.S., you will also have to clear security twice at the airport. First you will clear security the way all passengers clear security. Then anyone coming to America must clear security again in a separate location on the way to the gate. This is so they can take bottles of milk and water out of the mouths of babies and confiscate them. :yay:

Actually since there is no continuity of security, it didn't surprise me. It would be easy to add contraband after leaving the plane and before arriving in China on the bus. Plus China has its own rules about what is permissible to bring into the country.

When you land at Narita airport, the Japanese require debarking passengers from China to clear security the minute they leave the plane before they are allowed proceed to the gate for their connecting flight.

If you fly out of Hong Kong to return to the U.S., you will also have to clear security twice at the airport. First you will clear security the way all passengers clear security. Then anyone coming to America must clear security again in a separate location on the way to the gate. This is so they can take bottles of milk and water out of the mouths of babies and confiscate them. :yay:

China and Hong Kong are two different countries as far as the border crossings. You enter Hong Kong, then you enter China. Two border crossings.

The airline security is a different matter entirely.

The bus stopped shortly after it left the airport. All passengers had to debark and go through a building, getting their passports checked and stamped. Then we got back on the bus. We stopped again about ten minutes later and this time we all had to take our luggage from the bus and take it inside the building. This time everything was put through security, much like clearing security at an airport.

Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I don't understand why you have your bags checked as you board the bus in Hong Kong. Then, you have your bags checked again at customs on the China border.

The customs check makes perfect sense. But, I can't remember having bags checked to get on a bus before. Are they worried about someone hijacking the bus? :wacko:

Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I don't understand why you have your bags checked as you board the bus in Hong Kong. Seems strange they check your luggage at both the airport and the border. :)

I don't recall bags being checked prior to boarding the bus. However, that was in 2004- pre-Olympics and pre-Kunming bus explosions.

I don't see the part you are talking about. Leave the airport, just like toplaw said. Exit Hong Kong and all that passport checking and stamping, toplaw again. Enter China and a new security check. ditto on the toplaw. That makes one bag check, right? What did I miss? "The bus stopped shortly after.."- time flew, he was having fun! I don't recall it being a short time at all. Seems more like 30 minutes, or 45. But, heck, after 21 hours in transit I guess that is short.

I'm considering taking the express bus from the Hong Kong airport to Guangzhou. The bus cost is about $40 compared to $150 by plane, so I'll save a bundle round trip.

In the past, I've always taken the taxi or subway to the Hung Hom train station in Kowloon, then ride the train into mainland China. But, it's a pain dragging a suitcase through the train station, up/down the escalator then on/off the train itself. So, I think the bus may be an easier way to go.

Just wondering if anyone has taken the bus before and had any problems or comments. Is there a stop for customs on the mainland border? Is the bus ever full?

http://ctsbus.hkcts.com/routes/air/air_guangzhou.html

Steve

Steve:

Why do you want to go through HKG and get into all those troubles? Is it cheaper? Or you need to go HKG for business or pleasure?

The reason I am asking is that there is a nice, convenient, direct, non-stop flight from Lax to GUZ by China Southern and Delta.

I did consider HKG route to china, but finally gave up on it ! I have been to HKG several times, but not as a stop over to go to China.

Ken88

Why do you want to go through HKG and get into all those troubles? Is it cheaper? Or you need to go HKG for business or pleasure?

My sister works for United Airlines, so I can get discounted tickets. Unfortunately, United only flies to HKG, Shanghai, and Beijing. They were planning a new flight to Guangzhou but, it is postponed because of the fuel prices.

But, traveling though Hong Kong is not bad. It is a beautiful city, has a great subway system, and plenty of restaurants. The downside, it is very expensive... particularly the hotels. A cheap western style hotel is $150/day.

So, I figure this time, I will not spend the night in HKG. Just jump on the bus and head straight to GZ.

Edited by SteveK (see edit history)