You Sir, Are an Idiot and a Moron...

:D "I dissaprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire

There was a very minor skirmish in one of our MK threads recently. The controversy is a very, very old one here...It actually predates the Han Dynasty in China... :blink:

Here it is in a nutshell. Member A posts something negative about China... B) Member B responds that this is complete hogwash and everything about China is perfect in every way... :bangin: Member C thinks the glass is half empty... :huh: Member D says they are all seeing the issue through rose-tinted glasses which are are neither half-full nor half-empty... :roller: and on and on... :pash:

I know that some people who posted negatively here about China have just decided to go away rather than have to defend their ancestry... :( I don't think that's a good thing. I don't think that there is only good news about China... :D I don't think that there is only bad news either... :roller:

I think everyone should feel free to post the good or the bad without having to worry about getting jumped on... :roller:

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :huh:

So let's all try to come here with the intent to interact and learn and discuss a place we all have a special place for in our hearts... :V:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D "I dissaprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire

There was a very minor skirmish in one of our MK threads recently. The controversy is a very, very old one here...It actually predates the Han Dynasty in China... :blink:

Here it is in a nutshell. Member A posts something negative about China... B) Member B responds that this is complete hogwash and everything about China is perfect in every way... :bangin: Member C thinks the glass is half empty... :huh: Member D says they are all seeing the issue through rose-tinted glasses which are are neither half-full nor half-empty... :roller: and on and on... :pash:

I know that some people who posted negatively here about China have just decided to go away rather than have to defend their ancestry... :( I don't think that's a good thing. I don't think that there is only good news about China... :D I don't think that there is only bad news either... :roller:

I think everyone should feel free to post the good or the bad without having to worry about getting jumped on... :roller:

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :huh:

So let's all try to come here with the intent to interact and learn and discuss a place we all have a special place for in our hearts... :V:

Sounds good to me ;)

Here it is in a nutshell. Member A posts something negative about China... :angry: Member B responds that this is complete hogwash and everything about China is perfect in every way... :angel: Member C thinks the glass is half empty... :huh: Member D says they are all seeing the issue through rose-tinted glasses which are are neither half-full nor half-empty... :P and on and on... :ph34r:

I know that some people who posted negatively here about China have just decided to go away rather than have to defend their ancestry... :( I don't think that's a good thing. I don't think that there is only good news about China... :lol: I don't think that there is only bad news either... :huh:

I think everyone should feel free to post the good or the bad without having to worry about getting jumped on... :lol:

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with you, IMHO life is too short to get all upset about what the next guy thinks and it seems to take away from the educational value of CFL. :)

Guest Rob & Jin

Here it is in a nutshell. Member A posts something negative about China... :angry: Member B responds that this is complete hogwash and everything about China is perfect in every way... :angel: Member C thinks the glass is half empty... :huh: Member D says they are all seeing the issue through rose-tinted glasses which are are neither half-full nor half-empty... :P and on and on... :ph34r:

I know that some people who posted negatively here about China have just decided to go away rather than have to defend their ancestry... :D I don't think that's a good thing. I don't think that there is only good news about China... :lol: I don't think that there is only bad news either... :huh:

I think everyone should feel free to post the good or the bad without having to worry about getting jumped on... :lol:

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with you, IMHO life is too short to get all upset about what the next guy thinks and it seems to take away from the educational value of CFL. :)

Agreed :(

Alas, dueling with swords or pistols has been illegal for some time.

Let's see, whats the flipside of roger's topic line?

You sir, are a scholar, a gentleman, and a fine judge of horse.

hmmm

Very well said Roger. I am becoming more proud of you with each coming post. I missed the post that you are talking about as I am very busy this time of year and don't have much time to read or post here.

I can say that I once posted some facts about china with pictures and links to back them up and had the s***t kicked out of me. I love China very much but it, like America, is a long way from paradise as some folks here would have us all believe. This subject use to be much more sensitive but as time has gone buy mostly the older members have realized that there are good and bad in both countries. China has its problems as a greatly accelerated emerging country and America has its ghosts too they are just on a different level that is the only difference.

Larry

Very well said Roger. I am becoming more proud of you with each coming post. I missed the post that you are talking about as I am very busy this time of year and don't have much time to read or post here.

I can say that I once posted some facts about china with pictures and links to back them up and had the s***t kicked out of me. I love China very much but it, like America, is a long way from paradise as some folks here would have us all believe. This subject use to be much more sensitive but as time has gone buy mostly the older members have realized that there are good and bad in both countries. China has its problems as a greatly accelerated emerging country and America has its ghosts too they are just on a different level that is the only difference.

Larry

Thanks very much Larry... :lol:

And please continue posting whenever you can...whether its good news or bad... :rolleyes:

I am DEFINITELY NOT a Bible person but I've always liked this one..."...the truth shall set you free."

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :o

So let's all try to come here with the intent to interact and learn and discuss a place we all have a special place for in our hearts... :o

Ah, there's the rub! The definition of "reasoned" has changed so much over the years and recently seems to require no actual reasoning, critical thinking or evidence. Whatever one can pull out one's arse seems to qualify now as reasoned and reasonable.

I don't know which thread you are referring to but as many have noted, people no longer feel entitled to there own opinion only. They also feel entitled to their own facts, no matter how far they may diverge from reality. That used to be called "schizophrenia". Now it's called "having your own opinion."

I think it is a very noble ideal that you express and I agree 100%. The fly in the ointment is that such a large part of the population has never been taught any reasoning skills, never been introduced to formal logic or taught to recognize logical fallacies, never had the opportunity to learn how distinguish argument from rhetorical slight of hand.

What you describe is just a microcosm of our society in general and CFL will always be a microcosm of our society, regardless of how much we might plead for reason. As such, it will continue to suffer from this problem inherent in our society. If we truly wanted a reasoned society, our education system would prepare people for such a society. People educated in this way are less prone to manipulation and therefore less compliant to power, so don't hold your breath. :(

Maybe we can start a forum on logic and epistemology. :ph34r: :( Otherwise, we will continue to have people who conclude they know "China" (or whatever topic) because they met some Chinese people (or other limited experience).

I have to admit to being occasionally guilty of engaging and attempting to reason with the unreasonable. I know the unreasonable are not going to become reasonable and I see as the solution for myself to have better self-discipline and to move on when encountering such people. I have on occasion plead with the unreasonable to consider reason. I know it's useless but I do it now and again when I'm tired and my self-discipline wanes. I think that the only solution is for the reasonable to abandon such threads and let them either become a playground for the unreasonable or die of their own accord.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :o

So let's all try to come here with the intent to interact and learn and discuss a place we all have a special place for in our hearts... :o

Ah, there's the rub! The definition of "reasoned" has changed so much over the years and recently seems to require no actual reasoning, critical thinking or evidence. Whatever one can pull out one's arse seems to qualify now as reasoned and reasonable.

I don't know which thread you are referring to but as many have noted, people no longer feel entitled to there own opinion only. They also feel entitled to their own facts, no matter how far they may diverge from reality. That used to be called "schizophrenia". Now it's called "having your own opinion."

I think it is a very noble ideal that you express and I agree 100%. The fly in the ointment is that such a large part of the population has never been taught any reasoning skills, never been introduced to formal logic or taught to recognize logical fallacies, never had the opportunity to learn how distinguish argument from rhetorical slight of hand.

What you describe is just a microcosm of our society in general and CFL will always be a microcosm of our society, regardless of how much we might plead for reason. As such, it will continue to suffer from this problem inherent in our society. If we truly wanted a reasoned society, our education system would prepare people for such a society. People educated in this way are less prone to manipulation and therefore less compliant to power, so don't hold your breath. :(

Maybe we can start a forum on logic and epistemology. :ph34r: :P Otherwise, we will continue to have people who conclude they know "China" (or whatever topic) because they met some Chinese people (or other limited experience).

I have to admit to being occasionally guilty of engaging and attempting to reason with the unreasonable. I know the unreasonable are not going to become reasonable and I see as the solution for myself to have better self-discipline and to move on when encountering such people. I have on occasion plead with the unreasonable to consider reason. I know it's useless but I do it now and again when I'm tired and my self-discipline wanes. I think that the only solution is for the reasonable to abandon such threads and let them either become a playground for the unreasonable or die of their own accord.

I think you're being perfectly reasonable... :(

Guest Rob & Jin

Maybe we can start a forum on logic and epistemology. :ph34r: :P Otherwise, we will continue to have people who conclude they know "China" (or whatever topic) because they met some Chinese people (or other limited experience).

I think you're being perfectly reasonable... :(

In fact quite logically the most reasoned opinion I have ever read :P