You Sir, Are an Idiot and a Moron...

Guest Mike and Lily

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :o

So let's all try to come here with the intent to interact and learn and discuss a place we all have a special place for in our hearts... :o

Ah, there's the rub! The definition of "reasoned" has changed so much over the years and recently seems to require no actual reasoning, critical thinking or evidence. Whatever one can pull out one's arse seems to qualify now as reasoned and reasonable.

I don't know which thread you are referring to but as many have noted, people no longer feel entitled to there own opinion only. They also feel entitled to their own facts, no matter how far they may diverge from reality. That used to be called "schizophrenia". Now it's called "having your own opinion."

I think it is a very noble ideal that you express and I agree 100%. The fly in the ointment is that such a large part of the population has never been taught any reasoning skills, never been introduced to formal logic or taught to recognize logical fallacies, never had the opportunity to learn how distinguish argument from rhetorical slight of hand.

What you describe is just a microcosm of our society in general and CFL will always be a microcosm of our society, regardless of how much we might plead for reason. As such, it will continue to suffer from this problem inherent in our society. If we truly wanted a reasoned society, our education system would prepare people for such a society. People educated in this way are less prone to manipulation and therefore less compliant to power, so don't hold your breath. :(

Maybe we can start a forum on logic and epistemology. :ph34r: :P Otherwise, we will continue to have people who conclude they know "China" (or whatever topic) because they met some Chinese people (or other limited experience).

I have to admit to being occasionally guilty of engaging and attempting to reason with the unreasonable. I know the unreasonable are not going to become reasonable and I see as the solution for myself to have better self-discipline and to move on when encountering such people. I have on occasion plead with the unreasonable to consider reason. I know it's useless but I do it now and again when I'm tired and my self-discipline wanes. I think that the only solution is for the reasonable to abandon such threads and let them either become a playground for the unreasonable or die of their own accord.

I think you're being perfectly reasonable... :(

So it's settled then. CFL will be only for educational purposes and Roger will remove the twisted candle from CFL, right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with that opinion in a reasoned way... :blink:

So let's all try to come here with the intent to interact and learn and discuss a place we all have a special place for in our hearts... :V:

Ah, there's the rub! The definition of "reasoned" has changed so much over the years and recently seems to require no actual reasoning, critical thinking or evidence. Whatever one can pull out one's arse seems to qualify now as reasoned and reasonable.

I don't know which thread you are referring to but as many have noted, people no longer feel entitled to there own opinion only. They also feel entitled to their own facts, no matter how far they may diverge from reality. That used to be called "schizophrenia". Now it's called "having your own opinion."

I think it is a very noble ideal that you express and I agree 100%. The fly in the ointment is that such a large part of the population has never been taught any reasoning skills, never been introduced to formal logic or taught to recognize logical fallacies, never had the opportunity to learn how distinguish argument from rhetorical slight of hand.

What you describe is just a microcosm of our society in general and CFL will always be a microcosm of our society, regardless of how much we might plead for reason. As such, it will continue to suffer from this problem inherent in our society. If we truly wanted a reasoned society, our education system would prepare people for such a society. People educated in this way are less prone to manipulation and therefore less compliant to power, so don't hold your breath. :D

Maybe we can start a forum on logic and epistemology. :rolleyes: :P Otherwise, we will continue to have people who conclude they know "China" (or whatever topic) because they met some Chinese people (or other limited experience).

I have to admit to being occasionally guilty of engaging and attempting to reason with the unreasonable. I know the unreasonable are not going to become reasonable and I see as the solution for myself to have better self-discipline and to move on when encountering such people. I have on occasion plead with the unreasonable to consider reason. I know it's useless but I do it now and again when I'm tired and my self-discipline wanes. I think that the only solution is for the reasonable to abandon such threads and let them either become a playground for the unreasonable or die of their own accord.

I think you're being perfectly reasonable... :D

So it's settled then. CFL will be only for educational purposes and Roger will remove the twisted candle from CFL, right?

I have nothing whatsoever to do with that OTHER forum where various and sundry loonies (like Dougie) hang out making trouble... :o But here in the MK the sun shines ALL the time through the perfectly smog-free sky... :D

Three points occur to me ...

1. I agree wholeheartedly with the basic concept you advocate and think the problem really revolves around the subjectivity of judging when things cross the subjective line or are about to cross the subjective line. You do a pretty good job in judging these things ... in my opinion.

2. I really had to chuckle at the unnamed fellow's last post in the unnamed thread where he imitated the "Roger writing with smilies" style of communication to perfection.

3. I've been doing some research and am thinking of starting a thread to discuss cheese as viewed by the great religions of the world and compare and contrast this with the evolution of Chinese thought concerning dietary taboos over the last 370 years. Do you think that the MK would be the best place to post that thread?

Guest Liuling

The problem with the board and why people do not post is that many of you, including mods, cannot HANDLE THE TRUTH! Perhaps that is why there are so many guests and not many members logged in and posting. Some people are tired of red neck stupidity and us foreingers do not understand satire or bad English.

3. I've been doing some research and am thinking of starting a thread to discuss cheese as viewed by the great religions of the world and compare and contrast this with the evolution of Chinese thought concerning dietary taboos over the last 370 years. Do you think that the MK would be the best place to post that thread?

Great idea Jim. :( Rog wouldn't dare cut the cheese thread, would he? :)

The problem with the board and why people do not post is that many of you, including mods, cannot HANDLE THE TRUTH! Perhaps that is why there are so many guests and not many members logged in and posting. Some people are tired of red neck stupidity and us foreingers [sic] do not understand satire or bad English.

Interestingly enough, I have the same sense of what you've said.

I don't think it's solely red neck stupidity, though, as it seems to be flavorfully spread across all strata without heed of strata.

Granted, sometimes it SEEMS like it's Red Neck Stupidity, or things make you think 'Is he a RedNeck? That was a strange thing to say!' but surely there are other strata that have just the same level of stupidity? I'm not saying it's unique at all.

Since you've lumped yerself into 'us foreingers [sic]' , would you mind, too terribly, to enlighten me with which country you were born in ?

Warmest Regards ..

The problem with the board and why people do not post is that many of you, including mods, cannot HANDLE THE TRUTH! Perhaps that is why there are so many guests and not many members logged in and posting. Some people are tired of red neck stupidity and us foreingers do not understand satire or bad English.

Can you provide some examples of truths not handled and "red neck stupidity" so we're more aware of what you consider those to be?

Can you provide some examples of truths not handled and "red neck stupidity" so we're more aware of what you consider those to be?

Why do I get the feeling, that question will go unanswered?

Guest Rob & Jin

Who cares :D

Nothing personal, but if folks don't like the flavor of CFL they can "eat" somewhere else. :(

Alternatively they can post and add to evolution of the site. :)

JMHO

This is what I would call a baited trap...... meant to rise the anger in people and get them to do what Roger was talking about. It really doesn't matter from which country the person was born in. They are stating their feelings in a way that can be easily taken as an insult IMHO......

Though truth be told I would be interested in hearing what Truths, Red Neck Stupidities, Bad Satire or Bad English that the lumped together foreigners can not understand.

Personally I think that red neck humor is great as long as it isn't being used to beat someone over the head with in a bad way. I think that it does take a little inside understanding of it to understand it, if you know what I mean Vern.

Who cares B)

Nothing personal, but if folks don't like the flavor of CFL they can "eat" somewhere else. :oneeye:

Alternatively they can post and add to evolution of the site. :)

JMHO

Almost seems like you're contradicting yourself Rob. :) If those with different perspectives don't like what they read here and move on without adding their views then it would be a little harder for the site to evolve IMHO.

The reason I asked Liuling for some examples is because her (I'm assuming she's a her) :) definition of what "redneck" is may be very different from ours. If so, at worst we may learn which of our attitudes/comments is insulting/belittling to her from a Chinese woman's perspective. (again, assuming here) As a bonus,we may be able to educate her to what a real "redneck" is. ;)

I'd also be interested in knowing from her perspective what "truths" she's noticed that the membership can't handle. Both sides are free to disagree on what constitutes that "truth." And maybe both sides can express their views and learn a little more about the other. That would be a kind of evolution wouldn't it? :)

Guest Rob & Jin

my point is Dave, don't tell us what a bunch of red neck, annoying, illiterates we are (we know that), "western" satire and humor have helped alot through difficult times :oneeye: we cant change what we find funny.

Contribute and change?adapt, it or just don't come here if you hate it so much.

BTW I think many are very grateful for the support and knowledge on CFL.

my point is Dave, don't tell us what a bunch of red neck, annoying, illiterates we are (we know that), "western" satire and humor have helped alot through difficult times :oneeye: we cant change what we find funny.

Contribute and change?adapt, it or just don't come here if you hate it so much.

BTW I think many are very grateful for the support and knowledge on CFL.

Well, I guess a "Like it or lump it" policy is one way to run a forum. :)

Well, I guess a "Like it or lump it" policy is one way to run a forum. :oneeye:

That's one reason some of us don't post anymore.

It has always interests me why those who post comments as the one above seem to harbor some resentment to this site when others (like me) do not... :head scratchin':

It's just your 6th post and you've been a member since 10/1/06? Dern, somethin' must have got yer goat quick and early. Was it Roger?