Where would you go?

Since I am making my first trip to China in September and Shenzhen is the starting point. I am looking for some suggestion on places to visit. With out pulling up the map of China right now, it seemed that many of the major things were a good distance away. Xa'in, the Great Wall, Beijiin, Terra Cotta Warriors, etc.

Are any of these easy to get to from Shenzhen? I do not wish to spend all my time on a train or in airports.

I wish to spend time with my lovely lady, but since she is taking time off from work I would love to go some places and see something besides the city. I am a true believer that you learn more about a person when you travel with them. It seems that since you will never see these people again, your inner self comes out a little more freely.

Is there someplace that most folks in China would love to see but do not? I mean many folks travel the world but never visit the tourist sight 50 miles away that everyone else in American comes to visit.

I also enjoy nature so places of natural beauty would also be fine. Yep, I am one of those western folks that likes mountains, open plains, big holes in the ground, like the Grand Canyon, seashores, free flowing rivers, etc.

And of course I am asking my Zhenni where she would like to go, but seems very traditional (proper term I hope) and is looking for me to lead.

I will have to rethink these discussions in my mind. Maybe she was using the "Would you like to go to xxxx?" to tell me she would like to go there. What is that technique called again?

Suggestions and recommendations would be great. You know all those guide books always tells you everything is fabulous!

Edited by Maxal (see edit history)

Some of the places you mention are only accessible via air or train, so if you don't want to spend all your time traveling you might consider Hong Kong (if she's able to go there), Guangzhou or Hainan. All 3 are close to Shenzhen and would be great places to visit. Also, if you're interested, there's a nice Amusement Park in Shenzhen we went to with some friends of Zhen's - we had a great time there & it was cheap and a lot of fun!

I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter where you go - enjoy!

Guest Mike and Lily

Since I am making my first trip to China in September and Shenzhen is the starting point. I am looking for some suggestion on places to visit. With out pulling up the map of China right now, it seemed that many of the major things were a good distance away. Xa'in, the Great Wall, Beijiin, Terra Cotta Warriors, etc.

Are any of these easy to get to from Shenzhen? I do not wish to spend all my time on a train or in airports.

I wish to spend time with my lovely lady, but since she is taking time off from work I would love to go some places and see something besides the city. I am a true believer that you learn more about a person when you travel with them. It seems that since you will never see these people again, your inner self comes out a little more freely.

Is there someplace that most folks in China would love to see but do not? I mean many folks travel the world but never visit the tourist sight 50 miles away that everyone else in American comes to visit.

I also enjoy nature so places of natural beauty would also be fine. Yep, I am one of those western folks that likes mountains, open plains, big holes in the ground, like the Grand Canyon, seashores, free flowing rivers, etc.

And of course I am asking my Zhenni where she would like to go, but seems very traditional (proper term I hope) and is looking for me to lead.

I will have to rethink these discussions in my mind. Maybe she was using the "Would you like to go to xxxx?" to tell me she would like to go there. What is that technique called again?

Suggestions and recommendations would be great. You know all those guide books always tells you everything is fabulous!

As far as I know, there aren't many places of great natural beauty in Guangdong. My wife and I do like Conghua hot springs near Guangzhou, but in general, Guangdong is not a place of great natural beauty. For great places of natural beauty, we had to travel to Yunnan (maybe 1000 mi. from Shenzhen). They have the most beautiful mountains and rivers. Tiger leaping gorge is there as well as many other places with great natural beauty.

I am in favor of Guilin also as the river cruise is great as well as the caves there are awesome. As well as going to see Elephant and Camel mountains.

Guiyang in Guizhou is very beautiful also, the day trip to the waterfalls is a must see as well as Guiyang has many wonderful parks and Lakes to see.Take the gondola to the top of the mountain and take the walk down is very beautiful in Guiyang also.

Even tho I will get into hot water with many members ;) but I like the hot pot better in Guiyang than Chongqing.

Hainan is a wonderful Island as well.To bad so many problems but Lhasa in Tibet is also a must see.

China has so much culture and history and so many things to see and do.

Even Zhuhai is a nice place and they have a smaller version of the Forbidden City to see.Plus some great seafood.

Pick one or two places and enjoy.

I am arriving on Aug 31 Late like 2200 in HKG and leaving on the 16th at 0830 from HGK.

I do not mine a train of plane flight, I just do not wish to spend the time there running from airport to airport or days on a train. I looked at taking a train to Xa'in but that was like 30 hours each way plus the time there. I little more time than I wished to spend watching the country pass by. I enjoy train travel and use it all the time in Europe and Japan as it is a great way to see the country side. But not this time.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. From what I saw on the net it is really nice there and not too far.

As of right now I think Guilin is on the list. Looks like too mice a place to past up. I will keep searching the net and following up all these nice suggestions.

I was thinking of Hong Kong, but I do not think she has the proper document as she planed on meeting me at the border. Such a noob with China as I thought Hong Kong was now part of China it would not be an issue. I should remember all I read during the turn over and the special issues with that.

I am arriving on Aug 31 Late like 2200 in HKG and leaving on the 16th at 0830 from HGK.

I do not mine a train of plane flight, I just do not wish to spend the time there running from airport to airport or days on a train. I looked at taking a train to Xa'in but that was like 30 hours each way plus the time there. I little more time than I wished to spend watching the country pass by. I enjoy train travel and use it all the time in Europe and Japan as it is a great way to see the country side. But not this time.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. From what I saw on the net it is really nice there and not too far.

As of right now I think Guilin is on the list. Looks like too mice a place to past up. I will keep searching the net and following up all these nice suggestions.

I was thinking of Hong Kong, but I do not think she has the proper document as she planed on meeting me at the border. Such a noob with China as I thought Hong Kong was now part of China it would not be an issue. I should remember all I read during the turn over and the special issues with that.

You can go to Zhang Jia Jie, which is in Hunan. It will take you two hours' plane trip to be there. It is very beautiful. This is where my wife grew up.

If you do go to Guilin, it is about a 12.5 to 13 hour train ride from Shenzhen. We went over night and truly enjoyed the ride and experience. Back packed it for just over three days there, leaving my larger traveling suit case with the concierge at the hotel in Shenzhen. I paid for the sleeping car with four bunks to a suite on the train and it was also well worth it.

There is a lot to do in Guilin as I am sure you know and again as others have pointed out. We enjoyed the incredible scenery, the parks, a boat ride on the Lijiang River (all day trip), some caves, hiking and shopping at night in the open air market. You can get away from the touristy stuff, if you want to and walk around on your own. I thought the food was rather good; however, I am not sure you can go by what I think¡­ I truly love Chinese food!

As you say, it is nice to travel with someone to get to know them. This wasn¡¯t a long trip, but just enough time away from the family and friends.

Good luck and have a great time¡­

Guilin is like an hour plane ride from Shenzhen. Not bad at all. Check on C-tip or elong for plane and hotel packages, also The local travel agent may have some specials.

Have fun, you will have great time.

Paul

C-trip is a good place to use and they will take your US credit card as where many of the local travel agents will not take it.

Well it looks like it is off to Chongqing during the trip. Zhenni really liked the idea of heading off to Guilin, or even Shangri La but the words, ""Honestly the place i want to go with you the most in my hometown Chongqing" Sort of tells me I am going to head there.

Guess I will have to read up on the gift suggestions and what I should expect when I meet her father, mother and the rest of the family.

Well I have my marching orders so time to start making those plans. I am sure I will enjoy the time there.