Computer question

I have a few PC's at home, one has XP-Pro English with XP-MUI, and Office with MUI installed, Yu uses it in English User Interface mode, and selects Chinese PRC from the language bar anytime she needs to type something in Chinese.

Other computers are Macs with the language options turned on, again English User interface with language bar.

I have worked with PC's when in Chinese user interface mode, the Icons for the most part stay the same so I can easily find the appropriate one in control panel and change language.

Consider Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, it offers the multiple language modes without needing to locate language packs like XP-Pro.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
Guest Mike and Lily

I have a few PC's at home, one has XP-Pro English with XP-MUI, and Office with MUI installed, Yu uses it in English User Interface mode, and selects Chinese PRC from the language bar anytime she needs to type something in Chinese.

Other computers are Macs with the language options turned on, again English User interface with language bar.

I have worked with PC's when in Chinese user interface mode, the Icons for the most part stay the same so I can easily find the appropriate one in control panel and change language.

Consider Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, it offers the multiple language modes without needing to locate language packs like XP-Pro.

Vista Home Premium also offers multiple language modes. It's very convenient to switch back and forth. It's the other problems with Vista that I have trouble dealing with.

If you have a big enough hard drive you could partition part of it and load the Chinese OS on that, then select which OS you want at start up. My wife's computer has XP pro on it. I selected Chinese as the default langquage. It has the Chinese/English language tool bar which allows her to imput pinyin and select Chinese characters.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

When my wife first arrived I did partition an XP drive and attempted to load Chinese XP OS against my wife's advice. Nevermind, the attempt failed.

Point is, my wife is strongly opposed to those 'reminds me of home, make adjusting to US life easier' ammenties. Specifically, she is opposed to Chinese operating systems, Chinese Television and movie packages, even China town(s). Her point is, and I have observed this (as a failure of her friends to quickly learn to speak and read English), "if you give us Chinese girls all this Chinese stuff why & how can we ever learn English?" For example, why are so many of the jiemies (ladies) only using Chinese and not English on 002? (the wowpictures 'I already came to USA website')

We did what Carl did. Set up the Region and Language for Chinese, use the Quanpin/English toolbar. In addition, I let her use QQ on a separate machine. It is her one exception to her 'No Chinese" rule because all her family and friends back in China use QQ.

Finally, my wife likes to cook. She learned English watching the Food channel for hours day after day. Gradually, she began to take notes and write down the recipes in English. Afterall, as she said- "Vegetables look the same in China, on TV and in the market. Why not practice English by learning those words?"

When my wife first arrived I did partition an XP drive and attempted to load Chinese XP OS against my wife's advice. Nevermind, the attempt failed.

Point is, my wife is strongly opposed to those 'reminds me of home, make adjusting to US life easier' ammenties. Specifically, she is opposed to Chinese operating systems, Chinese Television and movie packages, even China town(s). Her point is, and I have observed this (as a failure of her friends to quickly learn to speak and read English), "if you give us Chinese girls all this Chinese stuff why & how can we ever learn English?" For example, why are so many of the jiemies (ladies) only using Chinese and not English on 002? (the wowpictures 'I already came to USA website')

We did what Carl did. Set up the Region and Language for Chinese, use the Quanpin/English toolbar. In addition, I let her use QQ on a separate machine. It is her one exception to her 'No Chinese" rule because all her family and friends back in China use QQ.

Finally, my wife likes to cook. She learned English watching the Food channel for hours day after day. Gradually, she began to take notes and write down the recipes in English. Afterall, as she said- "Vegetables look the same in China, on TV and in the market. Why not practice English by learning those words?"

All very good points.

My Yu is much the same way, the computers are set to English as their user interface, only a language bar is there for her to use.

Only recommendation I make is that for most Chinese it is a good thing to seek out other Chinese in the community to make friends with, Yu socializes mostly with English speakers, however her first language is still mandarin so having friends that speak the language helps deal with home sickness, making friends in the local community who know and live the culture connects my wife to her new home.

I confess that I had difficulties in China troubleshooting Chinese Windows unless I had my laptop with the English version of Windows to guide me.

We are on English OS's here, albeit Macs, and the girls seem to have no problem with the double transition ... Chinese -> English ... PC -> Mac.

• 3 weeks later...

This very laptop I am using, mine, has both OS of XP on it in the same partitioned area. English is the default. I have no trouble with both on here, but again they are both in the same partitioned area. My wife put the Chinese version in there. She is a software whiz kid so I have no idea if she did something to make it all work well.

This very laptop I am using, mine, has both OS of XP on it in the same partitioned area. English is the default. I have no trouble with both on here, but again they are both in the same partitioned area. My wife put the Chinese version in there. She is a software whiz kid so I have no idea if she did something to make it all work well.

when I installed the add-on on my american cmputer it was missing a library or something and the dialog boxes come up with all ???.

Same install on my wifes Chinese o/s works great.

The option of both o/s on same partition with a boot option seems like a great idea. I'll do that when I return to america.

The option of both o/s on same partition with a boot option seems like a great idea. I'll do that when I return to america.

Just so you guys know, this is really not an option. Microsoft highly recommends against this type of configuration. They say it can screw up your system and eventually crash both instances of Windows. They go as far as to say they do not support such an installation. The o/s is not only installed in it's own folder like Windows or WINNT, but has systems files that reside hidden in the root of it's installed volume. These files in multiple installs of the o/s will fight each other. You should install each o/s in it's own partition or disk volume.

Here is the write up on how to create a multiple boot system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559

I would hate to see you crash your system.....

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

You just need the ideal compromise:

English OS and Chinese Software !!

Don't install chinese XP; too difficult for you to help her with an OS issue and you want the updates...

my wife took up an English OS as the first computer and she could barely speak a word of english... ust need to properly setup for chinese software and plenty of protection! best decision we made

Safer and cheaper to get a separate PC for her.

You got that right! :rolleyes:

And then do yourself another favor and make an Image of her PC once it's setup perfectly with any/all Apps she's using with something like 'Ghost' ($$) or if you're Linux savvy 'dd' (free) and when the PC implodes, all you have to do is re-image the PC using your backup. It'll be back up in no time! :D