TV, Internet, Phone, etc.

While I wasn't thinking along those lines as far as trying to change my wife... She thinks China is the best... I don't intend to change that. I love her for who she is. She makes me laugh with her different thought process. While not highly educated, she is very smart. I'm proud of my wife.

Still, it is good to hear a different perspective.

I don't anyone here is trying to change thier wife to "american".... just hoping to assimlate thier adjustment to the language and culture better.

I must say that I always like China, but after a while, I really do miss home. Maybe that is something I should consider :ph34r:

But my main concern is my wife's son... he doesn't know any english... this really concerns me and how he will assimilate.

Thanks for the giving me another way to look at the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

If one hasn't already done it.. consider just tossing the TV out the window and spare her the exposure of the dark side of US Media :unsure:

Charles; the boy will pick up english light years faster than mom due to being in school.. she is still the one to focus more on, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

If one hasn't already done it.. consider just tossing the TV out the window and spare her the exposure of the dark side of US Media :angry:

Charles; the boy will pick up english light years faster than mom due to being in school.. she is still the one to focus more on, IMO.

There should be a lot of free English lessons for new immigrant. or for better result, put the boy to some intensive English course,but it will cost some money.

Edited by Lexar (see edit history)

For phone we use Italbb. It is 24.95 per month NO TAXES ECT.. It is a VOIP that you can cal anywhere in the USA and Canada and 20 other countries for free. This icludes 100% free calls to china and China can call you for the cost of a local call.

If your interested pm me and I'll give you the details. also, I get a few pennies if you say I sent you--Wifey makes me say that cuzz a few pennies is big bucks to her!

We use italkbb as well and highly recommend it. :D

how's the call quality on italkbb? i read some reviews online that said call quality was poor and customer service was poor.

how's the call quality on italkbb? i read some reviews online that said call quality was poor and customer service was poor.

Partially dependent on your internet speed.

Generally I get very good quality, occasionally I get an echo. To fix the echo, we hang up and redial.

I have had italkbb over a year now, and I wouldn't trade for any other phone service.

As for the customer support, they have always been helpful, but their english is limited,

Some of the new GDSM phones are pretty cool.The ones with 3G and wifi.Use the unlocked ones and no plan. If you both have one, no charge, or if you have one in usa, then they can call you using google talk for free.

My friend uses this with his fiancee from Vietnam. It is the up and coming thing.The quality is great.

Partially dependent on your internet speed.

Generally I get very good quality, occasionally I get an echo. To fix the echo, we hang up and redial.

I have had italkbb over a year now, and I wouldn't trade for any other phone service.

As for the customer support, they have always been helpful, but their english is limited,

I would agree. Any VoIP service will depend greatly on your ISP's quality of service delivered with big emphasis on the consistancy of both your upload and download speeds. When we had Comcast, Italkbb quality sucked big time. My wife would constantly complain that the phone was no good. Hanging up and trying again would generally solve the issue, but quality still wouldn't be great. We switched to Verizon FIOS. Man, what a difference. She never complains about the phone anymore. Great quality comparable to any land line. Every once in a blue moon, I need to reboot the phone router, but no complains once we have a good ISP and great broadband service.

We have the Great Wall package through Dish network. My family thinks it is great. But I find that my wife's second favorite channel is the SciFi channel. She watches alot of the chinese channels for the movies, but she will scan through the others and ends up watching some of the English channels. When we put in a Chinese movie they put on the English subtitles. That's even when I am not around to watch.

Just read David's reply... defintely food for thought...But Lao Po speaks very good english, I don't have to worry about her as far her english.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...

If your Chinese spouse is going to work or even shop in the USA, they had better learn English. My wife is having major difficulties and cannot get good jobs due to lack of English. Also she watches Chinese TV/movies on the internet for free - sometimes all day, which isn't helping her English at all. She was better off at the first when she was taking English lessons and watching English TV. Since she discovered Chinese TV on the internet, I would say her English has gotten worse. She has been here three years. So I'd say immerse them in English for the first couple years, limit their Chinese. You will be doing them a favor. My wife gets real frustrated with her lack of English and will just sit at home doing nothing when she isn't working, won't even go visit Chinese friends. This is the USA so they definitely need to learn English.