I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the folks at this web site http://www.chinadrivinglicense.com/ ?????

Although there is a "deposit" of 2000RMB required, I'd be willing to pay it if I can get the license, provided that the actual cost is close to the "deposit". I've asked them that question today in an email. Taking the chinese written test locally would be impossible if it wasn't in english. The actual driving is not intimidating here in Chengdu... I've been having a blast on the scooter so far, kinda like my racing days with FV, FA, FC, FF and SRF's all on the track at one time :ohmy:

Bill

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the folks at this web site http://www.chinadrivinglicense.com/ ?????

Although there is a "deposit" of 2000RMB required, I'd be willing to pay it if I can get the license, provided that the actual cost is close to the "deposit". I've asked them that question today in an email. Taking the chinese written test locally would be impossible if it wasn't in english. The actual driving is not intimidating here in Chengdu... I've been having a blast on the scooter so far, kinda like my racing days with FV, FA, FC, FF and SRF's all on the track at one time :o

Bill

I think I know that lady. She's from Zhuhai, right?

If so, she's legit. What she does is obtains a foreign drivers license for you from a country with very lax licensing laws. You then use that to apply for a Chinese license based on reciprocity.

You can do it easily yourself if you already have a US license.

:( What??? You have to pay??? I got my Chinese Driver's License in Beijing last year and did a little adventure driving for a month there. It didn't cost me and I didn't have to take a test. Someone's scamming you here. Ooops....maybe there was a small fee to the license, but it was under a hundred yuan. :(

Beijing Adventure Driving.....you should try it! :rolleyes:

PapaBear ;)

:D What??? You have to pay??? I got my Chinese Driver's License in Beijing last year and did a little adventure driving for a month there. It didn't cost me and I didn't have to take a test. Someone's scamming you here. Ooops....maybe there was a small fee to the license, but it was under a hundred yuan. :P

Beijing Adventure Driving.....you should try it! :)

PapaBear B)

I would have to be in one of those small places that doesn't have that many people on the road to build up my driving nerves for China. Mind you I have driven in Germany where they all drive fast, but they do tend to stay in their own lanes and not cut you off to many times. :D

PapaBear :)

I would have to be in one of those small places that doesn't have that many people on the road to build up my driving nerves for China. Mind you I have driven in Germany where they all drive fast, but they do tend to stay in their own lanes and not cut you off to many times. :toot:

What Lanes ? -- I moved to Xiamen last year to attend univeristy and ostensibly learn Chinese. My Fiance has a car and --- impatient me - sent my 2300 RMB to Beijing - with my drivers license and copy of my passport. After 3 weeks and another 2300 - I received my 6 year Chinese Drivers License. The address on the drivers license is in another town (?) but the license is good. I have been required to show it twice to police - (1) border crossing into Fujian province when coming back from Shanghai, and (2) When I went around 50 waiting cars and went straight from the turn lane --- inconviently a police man in a "safety snare" got me --- after giving him my license and finishing up giving ticket to taxi driver in front of me, Fiance got out of car and convinced him I was just a crazy foreigner from the Univeristy that she couldn't make understand in time to get in the correct lane to go straight. He told her to make sure I didn't do it again.

Botom line, drivers license's obtained this way hold up under scrutiny. FYI - My fellow students, many ex-pat wives have taken the test - both eye, written, and driving - and have obtained their licenses the old fashion way. Most do it with 2 or 3 tries!!! For me money was not an issue --- spending 4-8 hours dealing with the licensing bureau was not worth it to me. And of course I wasn't going to spend a month going to "Chinese driving school" ... this must be an oxymoron!

I would have to be in one of those small places that doesn't have that many people on the road to build up my driving nerves for China. Mind you I have driven in Germany where they all drive fast, but they do tend to stay in their own lanes and not cut you off to many times. :hug:

What Lanes ? -- I moved to Xiamen last year to attend univeristy and ostensibly learn Chinese. My Fiance has a car and --- impatient me - sent my 2300 RMB to Beijing - with my drivers license and copy of my passport. After 3 weeks and another 2300 - I received my 6 year Chinese Drivers License. The address on the drivers license is in another town (?) but the license is good. I have been required to show it twice to police - (1) border crossing into Fujian province when coming back from Shanghai, and (2) When I went around 50 waiting cars and went straight from the turn lane --- inconviently a police man in a "safety snare" got me --- after giving him my license and finishing up giving ticket to taxi driver in front of me, Fiance got out of car and convinced him I was just a crazy foreigner from the Univeristy that she couldn't make understand in time to get in the correct lane to go straight. He told her to make sure I didn't do it again.

Botom line, drivers license's obtained this way hold up under scrutiny. FYI - My fellow students, many ex-pat wives have taken the test - both eye, written, and driving - and have obtained their licenses the old fashion way. Most do it with 2 or 3 tries!!! For me money was not an issue --- spending 4-8 hours dealing with the licensing bureau was not worth it to me. And of course I wasn't going to spend a month going to "Chinese driving school" ... this must be an oxymoron!

They have driving school there........... now that is funny :) :toot: :toot:

Although there is a "deposit" of 2000RMB required, I'd be willing to pay it if I can get the license, provided that the actual cost is close to the "deposit". I've asked them that question today in an email. Taking the chinese written test locally would be impossible if it wasn't in english. The actual driving is not intimidating here in Chengdu... I've been having a blast on the scooter so far, kinda like my racing days with FV, FA, FC, FF and SRF's all on the track at one time :)

Bill

I think I know that lady. She's from Zhuhai, right?

If so, she's legit. What she does is obtains a foreign drivers license for you from a country with very lax licensing laws. You then use that to apply for a Chinese license based on reciprocity.

You can do it easily yourself if you already have a US license.

You are correct, Bill, she is from Zhuhai. Since I still have my valid Virginia Driver's License, can you suggest a country with lax licensing laws?

Edited by Bill & Tian (see edit history)

I always thought the taxi drivers in China went to a special school that was taught by NASCAR drivers. They learned how to one handedly draft, drift, shift gears, and eat... all at the same time in a relaxed mode...of course the other hand was glued onto that most important of any Chinese drivers equipment..THE HORN!!!!

Anywhere I ever went in a taxi I always had a vision of a checkered flag at my destination...HOT DAMN YEEEHAAWWWW GENTLEMEN: START YOUR ENGINES

Unless they let me drive a tank, there will NO car for me in Chinatucky. I've had all the life of death and danger I can handle in my lifetime....well, maybe I'll buy me some worn out BMW and sit it on blocks for a lil' hot n' nasty in the back seat with the lil' tiny hiney SWHM (she who have mop) :D <_< B)

tsap seui