Young & Restless in China

FRONTLINE explores the generation coming of age in China today. Shot over four years, the film follows a group of nine young Chinese from across the country as they scramble to keep pace with a society changing as fast as any in history. Their stories of ambition and desire, exuberance, crime and corruption are interwoven with moments of heartache and despair. Together they paint an intimate portrait of the generation that is remaking China.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/youngchina/

Richard & Jian

FRONTLINE explores the generation coming of age in China today. Shot over four years, the film follows a group of nine young Chinese from across the country as they scramble to keep pace with a society changing as fast as any in history. Their stories of ambition and desire, exuberance, crime and corruption are interwoven with moments of heartache and despair. Together they paint an intimate portrait of the generation that is remaking China.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/youngchina/

Richard & Jian

Thanks for the heads-up. FRONTLINE is on my Tivo list. It consistently airs high quality, informative investigative pieces that should be required viewing in high school social studies classes IMHO.

We'll be watching. ;)

I watched the preview clip and also started to watch another one they had on their site called "The Tank Man", about an individual Chinese man that stepped in front of a column of Chinese tanks the day after Tiananmen Square protesting. What a statement he made by doing this.

The one coming up looks to be good and I will try to watch it.

I watched most of it and it was very good. Not so much universal truths of what is going on in China but vivid snapshots of certain people's lives. A lot of confusion and helplessness was evident as China undergoes these massive changes. I think for me the most disheartening thing was the prevelance of CORRUPTION... :) As the one person said...Fish live in water. If the water is dirty then fish have to get used to it...A sad commentary on life in China in that way for sure. One of the reasons I would never wish to have to work in China. When we go in 2 to 5 years it will be for our retirement, not jobs.

One of the few times I wouldn't give the remote to LiWen :huh: 30 minutes into it she started saying Look, like my village! Just reinforced my thinking that we are all the same in this world. Feelings of being pawns on a board.

Also note that you can watch the whole program on line.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was already cursing myself for missing it! :)

They're usually repeated as well. Probably depends on your local PBS station.

I watched it online and found it to be interesting. I know this doesn't paint the whole picture of what is happening in China, but it does show a good snapshot.

The Lawyer I must say is a very brave lady to be taking on the Chinese government the way she is. Some of the others I can see the same things that happened here in the US at one time or the other. Family members of farmers leaving for the city to have a better life. The poor wanting to have more. Business people struggling with corruption and trying to balance their work life with their family life. Women wanting more choice in their life and not kept lock stepped in the old ways. The lose of people to look up to. Many of these have happened here already and many are still happening.

China has some more history behind it, but that is of a different kind that does not relate to modern times in my opinion.