Who says you can't escape from a black hole?

Ling and I arrived at GZ at 7 AM Monday morning for her interview. She was the 6thh person in in the K visa line but had not had her interview by 12:45 when they told everyone to leave and come back at 1:15. Not enough time for lunch, just enough for her to get as hot as I had been standing outside all morning.

She finally had her interview at around 3:15. No questions asked at all and the visa officer didn't look at a single piece of paper we had prepared. He just signed where necessary and said come back at 4 for the visa. At the same time, several other K1 were getting rejections. They must prescreen somehow becaus eLing said the other applicants weren't being asked many questions either. Incidentally, the visa officer only spoke in Mandarin but Ling answered in English. Not that it mattered since "nie hao" really isn't much a question.

We returned at 4 for the visa. 30 minutes later Ling came out with that dreaded letter stating that "due to a change in security clearance procedures.." blah blah blah the consulate would notify her in approximately two months that she could have the visa. :greenblob: :greenblob: :angry: :angry: :angry:

She showed this to me and I went storming in right past all the security and demanded to know what the hell this was all about. I got a whole bunch of "sorry sir but..." which I swatted away like GZ mosquitoes. I insisted on seeing someone inside but they didn't want to let me in. Then I started reeling off the names of everyone at GZ that I had written to and demanded an immediate meeting with the most senior person I could think of. Still no go. Finally I shoved my passprt at the clerk and said "Take this inside and show it to Mr. X. Tell him I am here and not leaving until I receive an explanation." A guard took the passport inside and was gone for quite awhile before returning and saying Mr X had left for the day - which I'm sure he did after seeing my passport!

I then stopped the clerks from handing out visas to everyone else (the Chinese guard was a real wuss - if he had been a US Marine I am sure I would have been cuffed and dragged away). Everyone huddled for awhile and then finally returned and explained that they had found a computer error and that we could return the following day for the visa.

Trust me, if I had not been there that computer error would have stayed forever since there were no more security clearances pending. The ONLY reason Ling got her visa was because I was there. I have no doubt about it. Consider that if you are thinking about not making the trip over.

It took two hours on the phone with United that night to finally rearrange our flights home because everything going through Tokyo is packed for weeks. We ended up having to fly out of Hong Kong rather than Beijing. No problem with that except that all of Ling's stuff was back in Beijing! On tuesday while she waited for the visa I flew up to Beijing, packed her stuff and flew back to GZ (and no, I don't speak any Chinese :greenblob: )

Now all the flights to HK were booked solid so we had to take the early morning bus which involves the double border crossing at Shenzhen. One country, two completely IDIOTIC systems.

Ling only made it out of China because of my shiny white face. The exit officer said her passport was not heres because the picture did not look like her. That's when I stepped into her field of view and changed her attitude. She also had a problem on entry to HK until I stepped forward.

Finally got on board United.

14 hours later landed at Chicago where we had to wait almost two hours to get through POE. Everyone had to wait because of computer problems. Once we stepped up, they processed her paperwork in less than two minutes.

We are home.

Ling is a very tired and little concerned that no one lives near us (we're out in the country a bit) but she'll adjust.

Stand by your loved ones through the process - ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

Time to sleep.

Good grief Tom, what a nightmare!!!! :greenblob: :greenblob: :angry:

You are so right! Just think of what would have happened if you had not been there. As for the "computer error", it really makes me wonder about what really goes on inside the Consulate. So many cases, so many errors. :greenblob: :angry:

On the positive side, you and your lady are here at last. May you be blessed and happy. You deserve it! :D :D B)

BTW: We also live in a rural area and Li loves it. :angry:

Hi Tom,

Congratulations, and thanks for the update! Wow, good thing you were there! Yes, it definitely sounds like that made the difference. Hmm, sounds like you were in "battle mode" the whole time. Well, I hope you get some good and well-deserved rest.

P.J.

Guest Long_strider

Tom,

Glad you and Ling are home and safe.

It was difficult and inexcusable how they treated Ling. It will be a memorable (but negative) experience for you and Ling for many years ahead.

Now£¬¡¡you and Ling enjoy your life together and make some

£÷£ï£î£ä£å£ò£æ£õ£ì £á£î£ä¡¡£í£å£í£ï£ò£á£â£ì£åexperiences.

Mi and Yuqing

Tom,

Thanks for sharing your grueling ordeal. For a while I had regretted going all the way to China and Guangzhou for what appeared to be no reason. But listening to your story - well, it could happen to anybody. I am glad I was there after all.

I agree that there must be some pre-screening of the petitions. I bet it's done during the initial I-129f application. Maybe certain profiles get greater scrutiny than others.

Congratulations on finishing the race - we wish you much love and happiness!

dave and sarah

At the same time, several other K1 were getting rejections.  They must prescreen somehow becaus eLing said the other applicants weren't being asked many questions either.

What is the deal? Does anyone know why this is happening? Lack of proof of relationship? Or Consulate having a bad day?

30 minutes later Ling came out with that dreaded letter stating that "due to a change in security clearance procedures.."  blah blah blah the consulate would notify her in approximately two months that she could have the visa.

Was your case through the new NVC process?

I then stopped the clerks from handing out visas to everyone else (the Chinese guard was a real wuss - if he had been a US Marine I am sure I would have been cuffed and dragged away).  Everyone huddled for awhile and then finally returned and explained that they had found a computer error and that we could return the following day for the visa.

Just so I know what works, how exactly did you stop them? Computer error my a$$.

Wow what a story :D

It just re-enforces the fact that it will help a lot if the U.S. petitioner is at the interview, in case anything happens. We encountered a similar situation at GZ airport when this young idiot clerk claimed that the picture on my wife's visa didn't look like her. He even asked if my wife can speak the Wenzhou dialect, because he claimed that he can, which was b.s. I was pissed when he was "testing" her, who is he to "interview" my wife. I went off on the clerk and the check-in ladies and they apologized. Anyhow, she's here and that's all that matters.

Congratulations on getting through the recent ordeal.

P.S. although it was a bad situation, I had a vivid image of your story in my head because I was at GZ, and I can picture it. It's always interesting to hear other couples' experiences here on CFL.

A few details:

We were under the old system, not NVC. Don't think it would have mattered anyway, this was just a screwup.

I stopped the other applicants by telling them to stop. I have this barely controlled anger, leadership style I can invoke when necessary. No screaming and yelling but no taking b.s. either.

No idea why some applicants are rejected after almost no questions. Like I said, Ling was not asked for ANYTHING to show a relationship - the decision had already been made somehow.

I understand that something like 75% (!) of the K applications are fraudulent. That gives you some idea of how thankless a job the consulate staff has. Nah, I still don't have any sympathy for them.

One thing I did notice was that of the many people (K and otherwise) who came out with rejection letters (very easy to see which were rejected because the accepted only have little white slips saying to come back at 4), very, very few of them seem surprised or dismayed. They would come out, meet their family or whoever and just shrug their shoulders. I don't know, maybe they were there for tourist visas (but I thought those were in Beijing) in any case they did not seem too upset and that may tell you something about their cases.

One last thing that REALLY pissed me off. There were four guys in line who averaged about 6'11" - obviously a basketball team. They went in near the front of the line at the same time as Ling. They came out 15 minutes later with visas. You can bet they did not wait 14 months for the rest of the process either.

Way to go, Tom! I know exactly what you mean about the "I'm in charge" attitude going a long way in dealing with people in this process. I can also envoke that attitude and it was what finally cut through the crap and got the interview with Richard Adams. I have also seen it work with Chinese officials and at the Shenyang consulate. Sometimes you just have to refuse to accept "no" for an answer.

I stopped the other applicants by telling them to stop.  I have this barely controlled anger, leadership style I can invoke when necessary.  No screaming and yelling but no taking b.s. either.

Now, they took down Owen's pic off the consulate's lunchroom dartboard and put Tom's up !

WAY TO GO !! :wub: :P