Bringing your wife, gal, g/f, SO's belongings to USA

Each time i go to china, I have been bringing many of her things home with me.....but she and her two children still have many things to bring with them....How have you that have already brought your women home with you brought all the things they want to bring?...DHL, or Fed Ex, or UPS?....or is there a slow boat from china option that is more economical?....

Each time i go to china, I have been bringing many of her things home with me.....but she and her two children still have many things to bring with them....How have you that have already brought your women home with you brought all the things they want to bring?...DHL, or Fed Ex, or UPS?....or is there a slow boat from china option that is more economical?....

This thread with attached threads may be of some help ??

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28675

I have been planning on this for some time now. We are going to just pay the extra $$ for a couple of additional bags checked on China Southern to LAX. While fees are up for extra bags, it is still cheaper--more conveniant compared to any air frieght for the size/weight.

Mostly clothing and small personal items....two bags each ticketed passenger, plus the medium carry-on bag. I will travel light this trip and allow 1.5 of my checked bag quota for their stuff. Then just pay for one or two extra bags, for any overflow.

BTW, it is cheaper to buy extra luggage (bags) over there, than here in the US. We go to the luggage wholesale mall in GZ near the leathergoods wholesale outlet stores, where you can buy direct and get a 30" pullman, for about half the price of a venue like Luggage Online in the States.

She will leave furniture, tv, appliances, etc in her apt in GZ, and her family will manage all, until our return trips over time.

Lao Po, daughter, and me, will end up with six large checked bags, three carry-on's and then the one or two extra checked bags. When I head on over for her interview, I will drive on down to L.A., leave my truck with my son and he will then meet us with my F-350, on our return into LAX; therefore, I will be able to haul all the bags to our hotel, for our week-long stay in SoCal and then easily get them on home, up to NorCal, later in the week.

This thread with attached threads may be of some help ??

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28675

I have been planning on this for some time now. We are going to just pay the extra $$ for a couple of additional bags checked on China Southern to LAX. While fees are up for extra bags, it is still cheaper--more conveniant compared to any air frieght for the size/weight.

Mostly clothing and small personal items....two bags each ticketed passenger, plus the medium carry-on bag. I will travel light this trip and allow 1.5 of my checked bag quota for their stuff. Then just pay for one or two extra bags, for any overflow.

BTW, it is cheaper to buy extra luggage (bags) over there, than here in the US. We go to the luggage wholesale mall in GZ near the leathergoods wholesale outlet stores, where you can buy direct and get a 30" pullman, for about half the price of a venue like Luggage Online in the States.

She will leave furniture, tv, appliances, etc in her apt in GZ, and her family will manage all, until our return trips over time.

Lao Po, daughter, and me, will end up with six large checked bags, three carry-on's and then the one or two extra checked bags. When I head on over for her interview, I will drive on down to L.A., leave my truck with my son and he will then meet us with my F-350, on our return into LAX; therefore, I will be able to haul all the bags to our hotel, for our week-long stay in SoCal and then easily get them on home, up to NorCal, later in the week.

I have elite status on Northwest, so i loaded up the last two trips i made and brought over as much as possible, free for me. They still paid a little when they came, but we brought most of our stuff over that way. Her brother than got the rest out of her house and drove it all back to his area.

As others have said, I think paying the extra fees for overweight/extra bags is the way to go. I went over for Zhen's Interview & when we came home I think we had a total of 5 or 6 BIG bags filled with her stuff, every one of them overweight! :lol: :lol:

You can buy huge bags in Guangzhou really cheap, but they are disposable, haha, as they all had the handles missing and wheels broken by the time we got home. I can just see the poor little baggage handler going to pick up a bag that weighed as much as he did & 'pop' there goes the handle! :bangin:

You can buy huge bags in Guangzhou really cheap, but they are disposable, haha, as they all had the handles missing and wheels broken by the time we got home. I can just see the poor little baggage handler going to pick up a bag that weighed as much as he did & 'pop' there goes the handle! :)

B)

We bought a "cheap" bag at one of those luggage stalls in Shenzhen to bring some of her stuff home. As I pulled it out of the trunk of the cab in our driveway the handle snapped off in my hand. :D

You can buy huge bags in Guangzhou really cheap, but they are disposable, haha, as they all had the handles missing and wheels broken by the time we got home. I can just see the poor little baggage handler going to pick up a bag that weighed as much as he did & 'pop' there goes the handle! :roller:

:lol:

We bought a "cheap" bag at one of those luggage stalls in Shenzhen to bring some of her stuff home. As I pulled it out of the trunk of the cab in our driveway the handle snapped off in my hand. :lol:

They definitely are cheap, Lei gave me her bag to use on the way home because of all the stuff her mom was insisting I take with me, that handle broke off on me when I arrived in Shanghai my second trip, I was so excited to see her out of customes I dropped one bag as the other ones handle snapped making a scene, I hugged her. People were saying "too excited" :D

We will be doing the same, just be careful. My handle left a metal stick pointing out of it.

if you get serious about packing it all up in a shipping container,

you'll need to find a logistics company around that city.

google 'Logistics Shipping Container <<InsertYourCityHere>>'

for some companies that can handle it all.

We shipped four large boxes by China Post 3 1/2 years ago. The boxes are provided by China Post and two boxes were taped together to make one large box. I believe the weight limit was 80# for $80. They were shipped by land and by ship and took about 12 weeks to be received.

If you go this route I would recommend taking some plastic lawn bags to put clothing in and the heavy tape with string running through the middle and wrap them up good. The post office will also strap the boxes.

When my wifes packages arrived in the US several of them were pretty battered. Don't ship breakables this way unless they are wrapped in tons of clothing.