Ok how many bags can we bring?!

here I go again with so many questions! Im sorry!!! :(

I looked on the United Airlines website and cant seem to find if immigration visa holders can bring more stuff. My Mother in Law bought us a HUGE bed set and its two quite heavy bags (I never knew bed sets were a present in China....and expensive too oh and red hahahaha :P :lol: ) but I already have one huge bag and he will have atleast one huge bag and maybe one more if he cannot fit everything in one bag....and i know United charges an arm and leg if something goes over a sertain weight and or if we have extra bags (and the bags with the bed set and all the pillows are quite large~ and the pillows and everything was air suctioned to make it as small as posible lol :blink: )

so does anyne know?

Sorry again for so many questions! :)

On United Airlines, here are the facts.

Travel wholly within Asia:

Customers Total combined weight of all checked bags not to exceed

Economy Class 44 pounds/20kg

Business Class 66 pounds/30kg

First Class 88 pounds/40kg

Global Services, 1K, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold Members An Additional 44 pounds / 20kg is allowed.

Military customers on tour Any number of duffel bags, sea bags or B-4 bags up to a total maximum weight of 140 pounds/64kg

Fees for baggage weighing more than 70 pounds/32kg or exceeding the maximum linear dimensions vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details.

Yeah I read that....boo...i was hoping someone moving to the US would be able to take more....

We have a lot of benefits being U.S. citizens. Unfortunately, airline baggage issues isn't one of them. There are alternative means to transport your items such as DHL and UPS but I'm afraid that may be a bit pricey!

Have a safe trip home.... congrats again!

Guest Tony n Terrific

Yeah I read that....boo...i was hoping someone moving to the US would be able to take more....

It's usually cheaper to pay for extra bags than pay the overweight charges.

I beleive United charges $25 per extra bag.

I have no confirmation on this -

but -

if you are using United from the USA POE to your final destination,

you'll be charged an additional 25 bucks per bag per person.

I don't know if they use the same (and new!) 'extra bag charge' on international flights, from Point to Point (Shanghai to SFO, for example), but I THINK they'll ding ya on the usa domestic legs .

IF you can move your 'cargo' around to smaller bags, a per bag charge will be LESS than OVERWEIGHT charge.

Good Luck ! I was very lucky on the 'cargo' aspect when I moved out of Guangzhou in 2002.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I have no confirmation on this -

but -

if you are using United from the USA POE to your final destination,

you'll be charged an additional 25 bucks per bag per person.

I don't know if they use the same (and new!) 'extra bag charge' on international flights, from Point to Point (Shanghai to SFO, for example), but I THINK they'll ding ya on the usa domestic legs .

IF you can move your 'cargo' around to smaller bags, a per bag charge will be LESS than OVERWEIGHT charge.

Good Luck ! I was very lucky on the 'cargo' aspect when I moved out of Guangzhou in 2002.

$25 dollars is an old charge. They have increased their fees over the last two years and will do so again in May. You may be looking at anywhere from $50 to $100 dollars per piece. Especially with the rising cost in fuel, they do not want to be in the frieght business. They appear to be one of the first to move on new fees for excess and overweight baggage, so don't expect to much understanding from them.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1034,00.html

The airlines that allows the most weight per bag has been Northwest Airlines. You will notice they have a special weight acceptance from China and Hong Kong. This is one reason, besides their customer service, planes are newer/nicer and a more direct route through Japan, that we are frequent fliers and use them for travel to/from China.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html

I found it to be cheaper to ship overweight or additional items using China Post. We have shipped items like books, beauty supplies for her business and extra clothes. We have done this twice. The first time when moving her belongings to the US. The second on our last trip after several shopping sprees. We always paid under $50 with China Post. I would pack everything you can into what you know to be allowable weight and items. Anything extra, take to China Post and see what they will charge for shipping.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

We recently returned from China-Wifey and myself. Not counting carry on we had four bags that weighed 48-50 pounds each. Thats like 22.?? KG each. Flying china southern from Zhanjiang to GuZ we had to pay an aditional 300 RMB. Flying china southern from GUZ to LAX connecting to Nashville we did not have to pay anything as it was booked via Delta and they allow 2 bages each at 50 pounds each bag.

So, the 20kg limit is onley on domestic Chna flights.

We recently returned from China-Wifey and myself. Not counting carry on we had four bags that weighed 48-50 pounds each. Thats like 22.?? KG each. Flying china southern from Zhanjiang to GuZ we had to pay an aditional 300 RMB. Flying china southern from GUZ to LAX connecting to Nashville we did not have to pay anything as it was booked via Delta and they allow 2 bages each at 50 pounds each bag.

Did wifey have any cardboard boxes also? :rolleyes:

Did wifey have any cardboard boxes also? :blink:

Not this time but she did have 3 oversize suitcases, I huge canvas sack, a back pack, a fanny pack, a belt pack, an enormouse purse, a laptop and two carry-ons, one for her and the other one, the small one, was where all my stuff was.

In fact, even within China there are also strict domestic baggage weight, size and number of bag limits. However, we have had some success getting these fees waived under the following conditions-

1. We showed ticketed proof that our International flight was the same day as the domestic flight.

2. We showed that it was impossible to catch the International flight on the same day because it leaves GUZ so early in the morning. So, we received a 'waiver' of the same day rule.

Also, beware how many things you attempt to carry-on. Recently China domestic flights have limited us to one small- and I mean small, backpack or purse. We were forced to check our standard size 'carry-ons.'

This is a good question. Because I have travelled to china for work in the past, I have brought in multiple bags each weighing 65+ pounds. Last time I flew, they charged $50 each bag via NWA through Tokyo. However, once arriving in Beijing, and then re-checking the bags into a domestic flight in China, it got a little dicey. On a short flight from Beijing to Taiyuan, I paid 780 RMB on Air China. I'm not even sure the rates are set in stone, as my wife argued with them and the price came down. Now flying with those bags from Taiyuan to Wuhan (they were a little lighter due to some tools being left behind in Taiyuan), they didn't charge anything in Taiyuan. Flying from Wuhan back to Beijing, they did charge (Maybe 1100 RMB). Even worse, they couldn't process my credit card at the airport in Wuhan, so I had to pay cash. Again, I'm not sure about the official weight, or why they carged that much. Of course, getting from Beijing back to the states, I was again paying the $50 a bag. So throughout China, I paid 1880 RMB and to/from America $200.00. I really felt that in China, the price per bag is the luck of the draw, with perhaps a little corruption there (IE, I really could not believe they would take my credit cards, and maybe pocketed some money, when paying cash).

As far as the bedding, perhaps you can get it vacuum packed somewhere.