Blogging from Baoding

May 21

Yesterday I was invited to go to a Vocational school and talk to the english teachers and then just chat with a class. The students age range is 17-20. Most will go on to work and some will continue at a university.

The teachers english was generally good but the accents are very noticeable. The class I talked to had 37 girls and 3 boys; They did a very short "Snow White" play scene for me. They asked alot of questions about music and movies I liked, my hobbies, did I like Baoding, what cities have I seen in china, etc.

While the students could ask questions clearly they did have to endure hearing me speak english with probably alot of words or phrases they didn't know, however I tried to keep to very simple sentences except for the two tongue twisters I showed them. Hopefully I'll get to go back again.

Gee David, now you're living my life. :D

I really look forward to your blogs. Yesterday's post on mourning was very touching.

How long much longer are you two going to stay?

We return June 4.

I will be sorry to see this thread come to a close, as I find it very enlightening.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May 26

The Usual Suspects

On some level, I guess I should be glad to even be posting... last night I was out drinking, for the second round of the night after taking a break to play pool, and I was spotted by the local "cleaners"; professional hitmen if they are who they say.

We were at an outdoor eating place with about 8 adjacent establishments all forming together to look like some hugh party. Some guys come over, seeing I am a westerner, and decide to join us, uninvited of course. When my chinese friend asks what they do, they said simply, 'we kill'. Reminded me of the chinese movie "Ashes of Time" ( see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109688/ ).

The main heavy was very big and thick; threw around his tree truck arms with ease; his sidekick was the guy to be worried about; he had that stone cold look that he would not even blink if he slit your throat. After a few rounds together their girlfriends showed up; girls about 18. The one was completely comfortable and the other had this look like she would throw-up the entire time.

The main guy would often show his knife which looked large enough to cut any animal in half easily. When I held it I simply thought of the equation of momentum: p=m x v; the mass was large [for a knife], add any velocity you want and it's going to pass through easily.

Add to the festivities that another clan showed up at a nearby table; he simply said, 'more killers'. My friend of 22 years old was quite nervous and constantly asking me if we should go. I simply said, 'this is fun', and would continue to drink with the would-be assassins. I made my way over to the other table and drank rounds with them. I got so many conflicting stories as to who was the boss that I was at a loss as to who to pay homage to. It became clearer as the night wore on though simply by observation.

What I failed to see at first was how the boss of the dining area was scared out of her wits; basically a lady running the place with some help. When we asked her to sit down at the table with us you could see tremendous fear in her eyes and I thought at any time she would just pour forth tears. Once I realized her state I told her to simply 'go' back to work, then we walked over to her and said that we will maintain 'friends' with the killers and say she is our friend. That seemed to do little good according to her eyes. I think she would be happy to just see her bed that night.

Needless to say, the main heavy suddenly came over and said for us to "go home". Usually this is not a command that one denies. Strangely he asked my friend if he had a motorbike and when showed it simply got on it and told my friend to get on. They disappeared for about 5 minutes and my friend returned. I guess we are friends with the killers after all.

We left since that seemed the reasonable thing to do, drove around for a while; it was about 2am... and I said that we should circle back to the place to make sure the lady boss was ok. She was quickly trying to pack up and still had that look on eminent danger; I found it strange that she and my friend were so scared and I could care a less. Until they actually do anything, they are really no different than the many others sitting around tables getting drunk.

The one snag in all this is that the main heavy wanted to go to the gym with me to workout. As I said, this guy was thick and big. His every movement of his arm around your neck or to shake your hand was one of control and pressure. I said I would go to the gym around 3 or 4 pm; Today as I write, I realize that I had made plans to rest this day. So the snag is, whether my friend, who is expected to call the heavy, should call and decline or just not call... What will be more interesting is the next time I meet my 'killer friend'.

It's the afternoon since I last posted. I woke up still drunk since I didn't have enough sleep; I had an appointment to go to the local vocation school and talk to the teachers again. Then they took me out to lunch. Needless to day, it only took about 1/4 glass of bai jiu before I felt my head tossing a bit. So I changed to beer.

I told my friend that I wondered if he should call the 'killer' since I wasn't going to the gym. He picked up his phone to start to call him and I said if you call him, then he has you number; do you really want him to have your number... he thought about 1 second and put his phone down. End of story... for now...

I think it's about location more than alcohol; everyone needs to eat and it just so happens that gang members will be more likely to eat at the outdoor places; this place is the biggest and most popular place.

I've eaten/drink there many times and run into all sorts of people and often people I've seen before who come over and join us... that's part of the atmosphere.

May 27

I exchanged some brief emails with a friend in Chengdu; she said that they have been experiencing aftershocks every day, multiple times per day to the point that they are simply accustomed to being in a building that will move a little bit.

Most of the posted numbers are for aftershocks that are larger than 4.0 but it makes me wonder how many 'earth movements' occur... I guess it's just a earth-hiccup and not quite a quake.

Also, the "quake lakes" have become a bigger concern: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-05...ent_6713065.htm

----

Added: I just saw some numbers on the number of "tremors" which are below 4.0; 226 for the last 24 hour period; That means almost one every 6-7 minutes

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

I think a "The Return Blog" is called for. I want to know how fast you adapt back. Perhaps you will have to organize soccer games and find a killer girlfriend. :lol:

Really good advice, Dan.

Yeh Dennis it sounds better the way you said I said. :lol: :rolleyes:

But it might be more dangerous. :lol:

I think a "The Return Blog" is called for. I want to know how fast you adapt back. Perhaps you will have to organize soccer games and find a killer girlfriend. :lol:

Really good advice, Dan.

Yeh Dennis it sounds better the way you said I said. :lol: :rolleyes:

But it might be more dangerous. :lol:

As Austin Powers said, "Danger is my middle name" :P :lol: :huh: :o :ph34r: