Blogging from Baoding

Well... we leave tomorrow for china... two months in her hometown of Baoding... fitting (and probably necessary) that we go back now to [remind us] where we first meet. Although my wife says we won't travel on this trip since there are alot of scheduled things to do... if anyone is going to be in BJ, send me a message and I'll see if we can get there.

----

Quaint but not Clean

From my first visit and three more subsequently, having spend a total of six months there so far, I find Baoding an amazingly quaint, ethical, and friendly [small] city of 1 million although improverish and dirty.

my wife's apartment in Baoding had NO refrigerator (recently asked her if she ever had one--NO; ask her is she likes to have one or not--NO... prefers the chinese way to buy fresh everday) and NO hot water (she can swim in the winter cooler water in FL and feel like's it china again--she still prefers to wash her face with cold water).

Hard but not Hopeless

Despite the apparent hardship of most working 7 days a week for very low wages and the dirty environment, they are are a hearty group of happy-go-lucky types who enjoy socializing and drinking as if there is no tomorrow--where "gan bei" always means you truly drink the entire glass regardless of how big the glass is, and where it is familiar to hear: "hu hao, chi hao, bu yong ke qi" ... with a gan bei chaser).

Foreign but not unfriendly

Foreigners here are very rare and get the customary curious stare and also deference on many levels (give way to allow you through or to the front of something). Restuarant owners often come over to greet us with free drinks and a few rounds of 'gan bei'; to show respect, usually they will want to finish off of entire bottle with you "shot-after-shot style"--gan bei. Some will not accept my money and instead want to pay for the meal 'on the house'. I got two free taxi rides before, one driver said I looked too chinese [attired in black head to tow--black appears the color of choice for men].

Stoic but not too serious

Yet, also apparent is the balance of a stoicness in adults as all too common and an ethic permeate the air you breathe. Here I always felt like the women really run things as men give way to their need, desire, or direction. They are not unlike any other place around the world where parents dote on children and relish a few moments to see them smile and chase each other around. The social hierarchy is very clear and the children all refer to others as "sister, brother, uncle, aunt'... women tend to address each other as "mei mei" or "mei nu"... men drink to each other as if it were their last meal together... tapping glasses on each sip as if a salute. Men and women will also perform this seemingly salute ad nauseum, yet on it goes as if not doing so would be unnatural. The one custom required is to know how to pay your respects during the salute; The top of one's glass is to be below the top of the other glass in order to show respect; putting your glass top at the half point of the other glass is a good amount of respect extended to anyone you meet for the first time, or someone older than you; if you put your glass top at almost the bottom of their glass on tapping, you extend the highest regard for them; Friends work their way up during successive rounds and end up with top tapping top; equals. Often foreigners don't know this and so the chinese there will go to the bottom of the glass to show their respect.

Daring but not death

I've enjoyed observing the people, particularly the very old and very young; Nothing beats being on the back of a moped where anyone seems to turn 2 lanes into 3 and even use the opposing lanes of traffic when they want--those coming head on just move over... driving on sidewalks is common and we've only come close to the grim reaper once when she cut across the median to try and beat an oncoming bus... the bus braked hard... my wife laughed... and with a fast beating heart, as I often say to her wild rides... "ni gan de hao"...

Traffic but not so terrified

Studying the traffic patterns and logic is a study in the irrational chaos of a yet seemingly controlled system--I rarely have very seen an accident in her hometown. The road appears to be owned by whomever gets to the spot first and all others tend to defer the space and look for their chance at another space, even if opposing traffic lane is open for the taking. Cars, taxis, buses, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians all competing. it is not uncommon for people to stand and talk in the street near the curb effectly cutting off one lane of traffic; never a horn for this, only everyone moves over to the free lane (or oncoming traffic)... the talkers own the road; they are there first. Every can stop on a dime and a pedestrian can feel the wind of a car who decided not to defer since he by speed can get there first; Bicyclist jump off at the last second to stop, or a car suddenly breaks since the pedestrians are not going to give up this chance to cross as a herd.

Trash but not so terrible

Littering is a way of life in baoding; someone needs the midnight job to clean up the streets and sidewalks; owners will burn trash on the sidewalk; child litter more than any other... I picked up this habit easily since it made sense in a pragmatic way of thinking; someone's going to pick it up; if there is no work to clean up, maybe they will lose a job. Trash is left in heaps on sidewalks and periodically picked up or eventually gets mechanically dumped into the big trash that nobody appears to want to use... I guess it's easier for someone to go through the trash if it is in a heap; no need to climb into the trash can; people will separate out the plastics regardless of the smell; there must be a few pennies earned for recycling it.

-----

I'll add a history of Baoding in my next post now... and a few links of pictures... In a day or two, I'll start blogging from Baoding...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baoding (Chinese: 保定; pinyin: Bao Ding) is a prefecture-level city in Hebei province, China.

Baoding is a city with a history dating back to the Western Han Dynasty. It was destroyed by the Mongols in the 13th century, but after the Mongols established the Yuan Dynasty, it was rebuilt. It acquired the name "Baoding" during the Yuan dynasty — the name is roughly interpreted as "protecting the capital", referring to the city's proximity to Beijing. Baoding served for many years as the capital of Zhili, and was a significant centre of culture in the Ming Dynasty and early Qing Dynasty. It continued to serve as provincial capital when Zhili was renamed Hebei. During World War II, the city was the site of a headquarters for Japanese occupation forces. In 1958, the role of provincial capital was assuemed by Tianjin, which had lost its status as a province-level municipality, but when Tianjin was elevated again in 1966, Baoding regained its position. In 1970, however, the rapidly growing city of Shijiazhuang became capital instead.

Baoding is located around 140 kilometres south of Beijing. It is nearly halfway between Beijing and Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei province. Baoding is home to Hebei University, among others.

Baoding is situated on flat plains, to the east of the Taihang Mountains. It is surrounded by farmland. The city is roughly rectangular in shape, and is divided by the north-south Jingguang Railway. Baoding Railway Station marks the geographic centre of the city. The older part of Baoding is on the east side of the railway, and is administratively divided into the North City and South City. On the west side of the railway is the New City, an area of more recent development.

Baoding is a famous health city, known for its traditions of respecting and loving the aged, and the way to keep in good health. The average litespan of the Banding people is 6.4 years longer than nation's average. Here tourists may get .some idea of the martial arts, Qigong, Taijiquan, kicking the shuttlecock, playing iron halls, medicinal drinks and food, and the old people's rich and varied lives. Every year the large-scale Banding Health Festival for Honoring the Aged is held here.

Source: Wiki and another lost source

Baoding Balls

Perhaps the best known item to supposedly originate in Baoding are Baoding Balls.

Baoding balls, also called Chinese exercise balls, Chinese meditation balls, and Chinese medicine balls, are thought to have been created in Baoding, China, during the Ming dynasty. Baoding balls are a tool for injury recovery or as an exercise tool to improve manual dexterity and strength. They consist of two or more balls which are rotated to orbit in the hand. The iron-ball system is the greatest of Baoding prefecture's "three treasures." Long throughout history, renowned within China and other countries, this is Baoding prefecture's traditional product. It was first produced in the Northern Song Dynasty, this item of Buddhist martial arts.

In Baoding, they are instead called Iron Balls, because they were originally made out of iron. As they became more popular and metalworking skills improved, construction methods varied. Most Baoding balls made and used today are constructed as a pair of hollow spheres - one inside the other with a chime between which rings as the inner ball strikes it. Many modern examples are decorated with Cloisonné and brass wire; however, these are not as suitable for actual use because they can easily chip when dropped or when they come into contact with each other. For injury recovery, hollow balls are generally more suitable due to their lighter weight. For exercise purposes, balls made of solid iron, steel or tungsten carbide should be used, since the added weight requires more energy be expended in their rotation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/BaodingQigong.JPG/180px-BaodingQigong.JPG

Typical back alley:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/BaodingAlley.jpg/800px-BaodingAlley.jpg

Typical intersection of competiting cars, bikes, and pedestrians:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/BaodingIntersection.jpg/800px-BaodingIntersection.jpg

Well... we leave tomorrow for china... two months in her hometown of Baoding... fitting (and probably necessary) that we go back now to [remind us] where we first meet. Although my wife says we won't travel on this trip since there are alot of scheduled things to do... if anyone is going to be in BJ, send me a message and I'll see if we can get there.

----

Quaint but not Clean

From my first visit and three more subsequently, having spend a total of six months there so far, I find Baoding an amazingly quaint, ethical, and friendly [small] city of 1 million although improverish and dirty.

my wife's apartment in Baoding had NO refrigerator (recently asked her if she ever had one--NO; ask her is she likes to have one or not--NO... prefers the chinese way to buy fresh everday) and NO hot water (she can swim in the winter cooler water in FL and feel like's it china again--she still prefers to wash her face with cold water).

Hard but not Hopeless

Despite the apparent hardship of most working 7 days a week for very low wages and the dirty environment, they are are a hearty group of happy-go-lucky types who enjoy socializing and drinking as if there is no tomorrow--where "gan bei" always means you truly drink the entire glass regardless of how big the glass is, and where it is familiar to hear: "hu hao, chi hao, bu yong ke qi" ... with a gan bei chaser).

Foreign but not unfriendly

Foreigners here are very rare and get the customary curious stare and also deference on many levels (give way to allow you through or to the front of something). Restuarant owners often come over to greet us with free drinks and a few rounds of 'gan bei'; to show respect, usually they will want to finish off of entire bottle with you "shot-after-shot style"--gan bei. Some will not accept my money and instead want to pay for the meal 'on the house'. I got two free taxi rides before, one driver said I looked too chinese [attired in black head to tow--black appears the color of choice for men].

Stoic but not too serious

Yet, also apparent is the balance of a stoicness in adults as all too common and an ethic permeate the air you breathe. Here I always felt like the women really run things as men give way to their need, desire, or direction. They are not unlike any other place around the world where parents dote on children and relish a few moments to see them smile and chase each other around. The social hierarchy is very clear and the children all refer to others as "sister, brother, uncle, aunt'... women tend to address each other as "mei mei" or "mei nu"... men drink to each other as if it were their last meal together... tapping glasses on each sip as if a salute. Men and women will also perform this seemingly salute ad nauseum, yet on it goes as if not doing so would be unnatural. The one custom required is to know how to pay your respects during the salute; The top of one's glass is to be below the top of the other glass in order to show respect; putting your glass top at the half point of the other glass is a good amount of respect extended to anyone you meet for the first time, or someone older than you; if you put your glass top at almost the bottom of their glass on tapping, you extend the highest regard for them; Friends work their way up during successive rounds and end up with top tapping top; equals. Often foreigners don't know this and so the chinese there will go to the bottom of the glass to show their respect.

Daring but not death

I've enjoyed observing the people, particularly the very old and very young; Nothing beats being on the back of a moped where anyone seems to turn 2 lanes into 3 and even use the opposing lanes of traffic when they want--those coming head on just move over... driving on sidewalks is common and we've only come close to the grim reaper once when she cut across the median to try and beat an oncoming bus... the bus braked hard... my wife laughed... and with a fast beating heart, as I often say to her wild rides... "ni gan de hao"...

Traffic but not so terrified

Studying the traffic patterns and logic is a study in the irrational chaos of a yet seemingly controlled system--I rarely have very seen an accident in her hometown. The road appears to be owned by whomever gets to the spot first and all others tend to defer the space and look for their chance at another space, even if opposing traffic lane is open for the taking. Cars, taxis, buses, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians all competing. it is not uncommon for people to stand and talk in the street near the curb effectly cutting off one lane of traffic; never a horn for this, only everyone moves over to the free lane (or oncoming traffic)... the talkers own the road; they are there first. Every can stop on a dime and a pedestrian can feel the wind of a car who decided not to defer since he by speed can get there first; Bicyclist jump off at the last second to stop, or a car suddenly breaks since the pedestrians are not going to give up this chance to cross as a herd.

Trash but not so terrible

Littering is a way of life in baoding; someone needs the midnight job to clean up the streets and sidewalks; owners will burn trash on the sidewalk; child litter more than any other... I picked up this habit easily since it made sense in a pragmatic way of thinking; someone's going to pick it up; if there is no work to clean up, maybe they will lose a job. Trash is left in heaps on sidewalks and periodically picked up or eventually gets mechanically dumped into the big trash that nobody appears to want to use... I guess it's easier for someone to go through the trash if it is in a heap; no need to climb into the trash can; people will separate out the plastics regardless of the smell; there must be a few pennies earned for recycling it.

-----

I'll add a history of Baoding in my next post now... and a few links of pictures... In a day or two, I'll start blogging from Baoding...

I had to laugh when I read this. From what I experienced, this is all so dead on...especially the chi hao, hu hao thing...I don't know how many times I heard this and how many times I said it...1 maybe 2 thousand...oh yes and chu le ba?(<-the local dialect)

Have a good trip David. With any luck at all, I'll be traveling through Beijing on my way up north while you are in China. Maybe we'll meet up in May.

I could be either flyin' over to bring a lil' rabbit back to america...or most likely, I could be flyin' over to get married up in Liaoning Province and preparing the first step of moving over. Either way it'll just be a relief to get GUZ's dog leash off my neck.

Hope to meet ya, and Beijing sounds like a good place to meet....or we'll get you up north for a "bona fide" Chinabilly wedding. You any good with Blues Brothers karioke? :) Nothing like cuttin' loose when one is in China....a Chairman Mao mask and a Richard Nixon mask, singing, "I'm a Soul Man" at my wedding!!! :ph34r:

Till then,

tsap seui

I really enjoyed these posts, David.

Just curious, how you can remember anything that happened or that is going on with all that constant toasting! (especially knowing what a tea toteller you are, after I drank you under the table. :roller:)

And dern, where's all the trash? Those two pictures you posted don't depict one inkling of litter.

Have a great trip, brother. Be sure to tell everyone that Dennis says hello. Give Lili a hug for me too. :redmad:

Very interesting reading David... :lol: For all of us that love China its always great to get our members personal perspectives especially considering the size of the country we will never travel everywhere ourselves. Laopo lived with her grandparents in Hebei from the ages of one to six and whenever a Chinese person asks her where she is from she proudly proclaims...HeRbei...and then I have to ask her where is the "R" I don't see any "R" in that word... :lol:

Keep up the eye-winess reports... :lol: and have a great time... :lol:

Very interesting reading David... :o For all of us that love China its always great to get our members personal perspectives especially considering the size of the country we will never travel everywhere ourselves. Laopo lived with her grandparents in Hebei from the ages of one to six and whenever a Chinese person asks her where she is from she proudly proclaims...HeRbei...and then I have to ask her where is the "R" I don't see any "R" in that word... :cheering:

Keep up the eye-winess reports... :lol: and have a great time... :happybday:

So, Is that the local pronounciation or does everyone say it with an r??? Doesn't Boston put an R after final a inwords?

In Cincinatti people say Cincinata or Zinzinata.

Marylanders live in Merrilin

I would love to learn to pronounce place names in China. So far te best I do is 1 out of five correctly. Usually when I get it right and I repeat it the exact same way (so I think) I get a roll of the eyes and a waving hand (is talk to the hand an Chinese expression?) with "just forget it"?

David relax and enjoy every moment.

One thing you did not mention about Bao Ding. Gou Tui Zi. Ask your wife or other people there. It literally means Dog's legs, referring to those that serves for the Japanese, by mistake. Originally it actually refers to "tripping other people's legs". Bao Ding, in the old days is known for producing lots of wrestlers.

Been there a couple of times and dated one girl from that city a couple of years back who worked in Bejing.