Blogging from Baoding

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we made the unprecedented decision to walk to the grocery store today :)

I think I lost two pounds walking in the sweltering conditions and my wife said her faced looked liked a "monkey's ass" once home :o

I think we'll now stick to a car and air conditioning :D :D

Now THAT'S funny!! :lol: :lol: I guess a car does have its advantages, but only here! How far did you have to walk?

we made the unprecedented decision to walk to the grocery store today :)

I think I lost two pounds walking in the sweltering conditions and my wife said her faced looked liked a "monkey's ass" once home :o

I think we'll now stick to a car and air conditioning :) :blink:

Now THAT'S funny!! ;) :lol: I guess a car does have its advantages, but only here! How far did you have to walk?

17 minutes each way ;)

I will say that this detox we're doing of avoiding meat and alcohol, mixed with the continued exercise regime I started in china has already made me loss 7 pounds. I would say that most of that is water weight, or should I say 70 proof liquid :) If I could bottle it, I might be able to sell if off for fuel :blink:

-----

The real surprise is that the jet lag back to the west has really yet to even effect me. Usually it hits me very hard for upwards of 10 days... while I'm only back about four days, I don't think it's premature to say that it's a none issue at this point. For this reason, I'm going to give in one place my personal method for dealing with jet lag going each direction... your mileage may vary:

Travel west to east

I have tested this method a number of times and it works for me... usually my flight is very early in the morning leaving the US and arrives in BJ around 4pm.

My method is to wait until around 2am of the departure to start packing and take my leisurely time and stay awake until the flight. Once on the flight, try to stay awake as much as possible to watch movies and eating all the meals. But the idea is to not really get any substantial sleep until the arrival day; That night, sleep like a baby... and for me, my internal clock switches very fast. I'll get up fairly early a few days to a week (3-6am, which is extremely unusual for my night owl ways) but overall I am on china time quickly.

Traveling east to west

Usually this really kicks my butt for about 10 days; headaches, tired beyond belief by 3-5pm and body twitches till I get some sleep.

On this last trip home, I ended up employing the reverse trip method but it was not planned; because we were so delayed at both BJ and in Chicago, I didn't arrive home till 5am. I only slept for about 2 hours and got up. I decided that I would try to not sleep and if I needed to, I would instead go for a swim to try and revitalize my body. I found on the first day that this worked and I slept throughout the two nights; waking a little early for me (5-7am). Each morning we did a little exercise together... ate, got on with the day lazily.

On the third morning, my head was in a cloud for hours, so I decided to just rest but really not sleep; finally pushed through that and went for a swim in the late afternoon and that really woke me up... night was fine.

For the most part, I'm having hardly no east-to-west problems... well, a little heart ache for leaving... but life goes on.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

I will say that this detox we're doing of avoiding meat and alcohol, mixed with the continued exercise regime I started in china has already made me loss 7 pounds.

My exercise program here in China is comprised of jumping out of the way of cars, bicycles and motorbikes driving on the sidewalk. So far it's allowed me to find the best prices on Tsingtao. The white wine is amazing. When I'm in the mood for a smoke I just take a deep breath.

:lol:

Guest ShaQuaNew

ShaQuaNew, Does this mean you are adapting well?

:)

Doing my best. Actually life is quite good. I'm fortunate to have two very special ladies to assist me. We'd love to hear from those in the Shanghai or Nanjing area when they are here. Let us know and perhaps we can meet.

I'm quite glad to see that David is enjoying his extended visit here in China.