The Search for Chinabounder...

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=...7bb7007&p=1

A very interesting article about the apparent rise of Chinese Nationalism. I find that many Chinese do feel that the richer countries look down on them. Japan is public enemy #1 but the US is in the running as well as we try to impose our will on China over their political decisions, monetary policy, etc. Of course nationalism is fine for our country but very bad for everyone else... :huh:

Does it make me think twice about living in China? Nope. I know how people are...they can say they hate Japan or America but they would never dream of dragging the American or Japanese who lives down the block out in the street to beat the tar out of them...

As I always say...the two worst things mankind ever invented...religion and nationalism... :P

Oh you'll have to read the article to find out about Chinabounder... :ph34r:

Guest Tony n Terrific

A very interesting article about the apparent rise of Chinese Nationalism. I find that many Chinese do feel that the richer countries look down on them. Japan is public enemy #1 but the US is in the running as well as we try to impose our will on China over their political decisions, monetary policy, etc. Of course nationalism is fine for our country but very bad for everyone else... :huh:

Does it make me think twice about living in China? Nope. I know how people are...they can say they hate Japan or America but they would never dream of dragging the American or Japanese who lives down the block out in the street to beat the tar out of them...

As I always say...the two worst things mankind ever invented...religion and nationalism... :P

The Boxers of the Boxer Rebellion did just this 1899-1901.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

The Boxers of the Boxer Rebellion did just this 1899-1901.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

Ah well the actual title of the New Republic piece is..."The Boxer Shorts Rebellion" but it is a very different kettle of fish more than 100 years later... :P

Obviously you weren't in China after the US bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.

Oh you'll have to read the article to find out about Chinabounder... B)

Old news. Chinabounder was actually a group of individuals who blogged about their supposed sexual escapades with Chinese girls. Most of what they posted on their blog was extremely degrading and gross.

The police identified a couple of the individuals and they were summarily deported. One of the members of the Chinabounder gang, a guy named Chris Devonshire - Ellis, is still in China hoping the police fail to connect the dots.

Obviously you weren't in China after the US bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.

Oh you'll have to read the article to find out about Chinabounder... B)

Old news. Chinabounder was actually a group of individuals who blogged about their supposed sexual escapades with Chinese girls. Most of what they posted on their blog was extremely degrading and gross.

The police identified a couple of the individuals and they were summarily deported. One of the members of the Chinabounder gang, a guy named Chris Devonshire - Ellis, is still in China hoping the police fail to connect the dots.

Gosh Bill you sure know a lot about this Chinabounder story... B) And as for the Belgrade bombing...What did happen in China??? Do you have the marks to prove it? ;)

A very interesting article about the apparent rise of Chinese Nationalism. I find that many Chinese do feel that the richer countries look down on them. Japan is public enemy #1 but the US is in the running as well as we try to impose our will on China over their political decisions, monetary policy, etc. Of course nationalism is fine for our country but very bad for everyone else... :rolleyes:

I don't claim to be the expert you are but my experience has been different. Maybe it's just the people we associate with? I've never sensed the slightest bit of hostility and my Wife has never mentioned any such thing. None of our friends have, either.

The feelings towards Japanese are a different thing. The only derogatory remarks I've heard among Chinese about lao wai have been about the Japanese. They are almost universally reviled from what I've seen and heard.

Bruce Lee's second movie ("Fists of Fury" in Asia, renamed "Chinese Connection" in the West) has a line in it that would always bring Chinese viewers to their feet with applause and cheering when I lived in Asia. The scene shows Bruce Lee's character returning a challenge to a Japanese karate school and throwing a sign on the floor while proclaiming: "Chinese are NOT the sick men of Asia". The Japanese portrayed China in that light, even used that slogan, for over one hundred years. Far as I've seen, nothing we've done comes close, at least not in the minds of the common man.

While I'm sure there are some urban elites who dislike the U.S., I've found most rural, small town and many urban people have a level of affection for Americans that I never expected. For example, more 'Ab-Loungers' were sold in less time in China than in any other country in the world, primarily because of the 'American Connection'. These sales were at full retail price, even after currency conversion. Another anecdote that I've posted elsewhere was about the KTV party I attended with a high level cigarette company exec. He had a company car and called it up after the birthday party thrown for my wife was breaking up. Now, understand, there were Mercedes Benz, BMW's, even a Rolls that came up before our friend's car. Nobody batted an eye, but... when Mr. Executive's car rolled up, everybody stopped and stared, I mean EVERYBODY. His car? An AMERICAN Buick. Not Chinese made, but American. I asked about it and he told me it was imported especially for the cigarette company president and that people always stopped and stared because it was a REAL American car. Everyone knows American cars are best, he told me, and he didn't tell me that in a way that would imply anything but pride. He REALLY likes Americans.

Best Regards

P.S. Nice dig about religion, Roger, but you are bucking the huge majority of mankind. Less than 20% of the population of the world claims no religious affiliation. You're out of step, my man, or maybe it's just that 'different drummer' you've been hearing. :roller:

Guest Tony n Terrific

A very interesting article about the apparent rise of Chinese Nationalism. I find that many Chinese do feel that the richer countries look down on them. Japan is public enemy #1 but the US is in the running as well as we try to impose our will on China over their political decisions, monetary policy, etc. Of course nationalism is fine for our country but very bad for everyone else... :rolleyes:

I don't claim to be the expert you are but my experience has been different. Maybe it's just the people we associate with? I've never sensed the slightest bit of hostility and my Wife has never mentioned any such thing. None of our friends have, either.

The feelings towards Japanese are a different thing. The only derogatory remarks I've heard among Chinese about lao wai have been about the Japanese. They are almost universally reviled from what I've seen and heard.

Bruce Lee's second movie ("Fists of Fury" in Asia, renamed "Chinese Connection" in the West) has a line in it that would always bring Chinese viewers to their feet with applause and cheering when I lived in Asia. The scene shows Bruce Lee's character returning a challenge to a Japanese karate school and throwing a sign on the floor while proclaiming: "Chinese are NOT the sick men of Asia". The Japanese portrayed China in that light, even used that slogan, for over one hundred years. Far as I've seen, nothing we've done comes close, at least not in the minds of the common man.

While I'm sure there are some urban elites who dislike the U.S., I've found most rural, small town and many urban people have a level of affection for Americans that I never expected. For example, more 'Ab-Loungers' were sold in less time in China than in any other country in the world, primarily because of the 'American Connection'. These sales were at full retail price, even after currency conversion. Another anecdote that I've posted elsewhere was about the KTV party I attended with a high level cigarette company exec. He had a company car and called it up after the birthday party thrown for my wife was breaking up. Now, understand, there were Mercedes Benz, BMW's, even a Rolls that came up before our friend's car. Nobody batted an eye, but... when Mr. Executive's car rolled up, everybody stopped and stared, I mean EVERYBODY. His car? An AMERICAN Buick. Not Chinese made, but American. I asked about it and he told me it was imported especially for the cigarette company president and that people always stopped and stared because it was a REAL American car. Everyone knows American cars are best, he told me, and he didn't tell me that in a way that would imply anything but pride. He REALLY likes Americans.

Best Regards

P.S. Nice dig about religion, Roger, but you are bucking the huge majority of mankind. Less than 20% of the population of the world claims no religious affiliation. You're out of step, my man, or maybe it's just that 'different drummer' you've been hearing. :roller:

Pa rum pum pum pum. Pa rum pum pum pum

Rum pum pum pum

Rum pum pum pum

Pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my drum.

Oh you'll have to read the article to find out about Chinabounder... :roller:

Gosh Bill you sure know a lot about this Chinabounder story... :rolleyes: And as for the Belgrade bombing...What did happen in China??? Do you have the marks to prove it? :lol:

The Chinabounder story is old -- very old -- news in Shanghai. Every once in a while Chris Devonshire - Ellis pops his head out of his hole to see if the coast is clear. The guys a Grade A Whacko -- could write a whole thread just on him.

After the Belgrade bombing, the government itself organized students to hit the streets in protest. In Guangzhou there were about 20k+ students on the streets marching. No expats were injured, but a lot of property damage was done.

In Shanghai it was uglier, but Beijing was the worst. Those foreigners unlucky enough to be on the streets and identified as either Americans or Japanese were attacked.

Sorry, Roger, no bruises.

I just spent a couple of hours reading a good chunk of the chinabounder blog. He's a good writer but full of crap.

He obviously has a major league axe to grind with China and the Chinese government. I especially like the way he describes his prolific "conquests" and subsequent trivialization of women while decrying the oppression of same. Seems odd? Here's a guy who doesn't mind objectfiying women for his own pleasure but claims to have a big problem with the female "role" in Shanghai.

Likewise, it's hard to buy into his "crusading" for sanctions against teachers who beat their female students to death. I'm left with the impression that he is only upset because the little girls were killed before they could grow up and be subjected to HIS "attentions".

What a nutball. I can understand why so many Chinese hate him.

P.S. Nice dig about religion, Roger, but you are bucking the huge majority of mankind. Less than 20% of the population of the world claims no religious affiliation. You're out of step, my man, or maybe it's just that 'different drummer' you've been hearing. :beer:

Just can't lay off the personal attacks can you Mike... :P

I just spent a couple of hours reading a good chunk of the chinabounder blog. He's a good writer but full of crap.

He obviously has a major league axe to grind with China and the Chinese government. I especially like the way he describes his prolific "conquests" and subsequent trivialization of women while decrying the oppression of same. Seems odd? Here's a guy who doesn't mind objectfiying women for his own pleasure but claims to have a big problem with the female "role" in Shanghai.

Likewise, it's hard to buy into his "crusading" for sanctions against teachers who beat their female students to death. I'm left with the impression that he is only upset because the little girls were killed before they could grow up and be subjected to HIS "attentions".

Yes, he is a real whacko. In fact, should say they are real whackos because it isn't just one guy -- or at least it wasn't just one guy way back when.

The funny thing is that the guy still in China, Chris Devonshire - Ellis, still posts the same crap on various forums under different usernames at the same time running a so-called "big consulting firm" in China.

Yes, he is a real whacko. In fact, should say they are real whackos because it isn't just one guy -- or at least it wasn't just one guy way back when.

The funny thing is that the guy still in China, Chris Devonshire - Ellis, still posts the same crap on various forums under different usernames at the same time running a so-called "big consulting firm" in China.

Then it seems that "the new Chinese Nationalism" is mostly bark with no bite...or they're just too pragmatic to let someone's rant keep them from the goal of making money...

I'm not going to dignify this cad with hits to his blog, so I'm curious...

Is he doing anything that is illegal? And don't get upset, I'm not asking about his morality, which he obviously has none of, but of the legality of his actions.

If his actions are illegal, why isn't he rotting in some cell?

Surely he is easy enough to find. IP numbers, and China being one of the most advanced countries in the use of facial recognition software, should make it easy to track it down. Heck some homeschool hackers could maybe even find him and hand out 2x4s to the pissed off masses.

I'm not going to dignify this cad with hits to his blog, so I'm curious...

Is he doing anything that is illegal? And don't get upset, I'm not asking about his morality, which he obviously has none of, but of the legality of his actions.

If his actions are illegal, why isn't he rotting in some cell?

Surely he is easy enough to find. IP numbers, and China being one of the most advanced countries in the use of facial recognition software, should make it easy to track it down. Heck some homeschool hackers could maybe even find him and hand out 2x4s to the pissed off masses.

You can read about him (or them as GZBILL reports) on many other Chinese blogs...I think the worst thing is it makes people wonder if all foreign men in China are of this mold... :offtopic: At least they're British and not Americans... :smartass: