China is becoming the shipyard for the world...

By the Ming dynasty, China's ship building was second to none and thought to have led the world in both building and navigation... This period coincides with the controversal 1421 discovery of america... and by the close of the Ming all ship builidng had been prohibited for reasons still unknown...

Sample ship size in the Ming; small ship in middle is Columbus's ship

http://www.chinavoc.com/history/ming/images/zg.gif

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

I asked a friend about that. I postulated that the Chinese had stopped exploring the outer world to explore the inner world.

He said I should take my head out of the clouds! :D

He said that with trade traveling by means of boats, the road taxes were not being collected. Shut down the shipping industry, and the road taxes came back.

But whatever the reason, it really is too bad that China stopped.

I asked a friend about that. I postulated that the Chinese had stopped exploring the outer world to explore the inner world.

He said I should take my head out of the clouds! :blink:

He said that with trade traveling by means of boats, the road taxes were not being collected. Shut down the shipping industry, and the road taxes came back.

But whatever the reason, it really is too bad that China stopped.

One can only guess what might have happened if they didn't stop.

Well, as my friend said, Monterey Park is the capitol of the Western Chinese Empire! :blink:

I'm sure that we all know that they explored the west coast of North America, so things could have been very different for sure.

Well, as my friend said, Monterey Park is the capitol of the Western Chinese Empire! :ph34r:

I'm sure that we all know that they explored the west coast of North America, so things could have been very different for sure.

Ya' know Smitty I've seen much, MUCH better pics of Gong Li than your avatar... :lol:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8363/gonglikq8.jpg

Well, as my friend said, Monterey Park is the capitol of the Western Chinese Empire! :Dah:

Ya' know Smitty I've seen much, MUCH better pics of Gong Li than your avatar... :)

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8363/gonglikq8.jpg

OOOOMMMMGGGG!!!! :ph34r: :lol:

No way! Change your avatar if you want, and what does my avatar have to do with Chinese shipyards, or Chinese maritime history?

Since you might want more pics of Ms Li, here is the link for Googles image search: Bang a Gong!

No need to change your avatar Smitty... ;) And you know even here in the quiet of the Middle Kingdom we do occasionally go... :D :rolleyes: but only for a good cause like Ms Li.. :D

Thanks Roggie for posting about my Dalian. We took a ship out of there and I saw the shipyard and a high speed train factory. I think cars? Little ones. I just LOVe the industry there. I posted my pic of what looked like a flat top with the ski jump for a STOVL aircraft for someones military. If China's then where is the jump jet? That one I did not know.

Thanks Roggie for posting about my Dalian. We took a ship out of there and I saw the shipyard and a high speed train factory. I think cars? Little ones. I just LOVe the industry there. I posted my pic of what looked like a flat top with the ski jump for a STOVL aircraft for someones military. If China's then where is the jump jet? That one I did not know.

Glad to keep you entertained Dougie... :D but as for me I'd rather spend the time watching fruit grow than ships being built... :unsure: