Stimulus package

An update as to when you can expect it.

People who used direct deposit for their returns will get it in May, people who get refunds by checks will be spread out from May through July.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=180247,00.html

Yeah, this is a lot better than the earlier statements/outlooks on when we would receive the checks. I have direct deposit and a low (last two digits) SSN !! :)

This will just about cover the large % of the one-way airfare for Lao Po and daughter in June !!

Nothing that I can do about Lao Po's ITIN before she arrives, but I do have two children from previous marriage on my 2007 tax filing, so I should see $900 based on the attached info from Dan.

People who used direct deposit for their returns will get it in May, people who get refunds by checks will be spread out from May through July.

Yeah, this is a lot better than the earlier statements/outlooks on when we would receive the checks. I have direct deposit and a low (last two digits) SSN !! :)

This will just about cover the large % of the one-way airfare for Lao Po and daughter in June !!

Nothing that I can do about Lao Po's ITIN before she arrives, but I do have two children from previous marriage on my 2007 tax filing, so I should see $900 based on the attached info from Dan.

Same here big guy....................in Illinois I think we are getting $901.00 :P :D :blink: :rolleyes:

Guest Mike and Lily

Yeah, this is a lot better than the earlier statements/outlooks on when we would receive the checks. I have direct deposit and a low (last two digits) SSN !! :ph34r:

Same here big guy....................in Illinois I think we are getting $901.00 :lol: :lol: :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Make sure that you spend it like George Bush wants you to. He does NOT want you to save it!

Yeah, this is a lot better than the earlier statements/outlooks on when we would receive the checks. I have direct deposit and a low (last two digits) SSN !! B)

Same here big guy....................in Illinois I think we are getting $901.00 :D :D B) B)

Make sure that you spend it like George Bush wants you to. He does NOT want you to save it!

No problem, going to Roger's house in LA for a month or so!!! :D

If you filed you 1040 jointly, with a non-resident alien, or someone who only has an ITIN, it says:

The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, which authorized the pre-payment of this one-time credit, stipulates that the payment is not to be made to any of the following:

Individuals who can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return;

Nonresident aliens; or

Anyone who does not have a valid Social Security Number.

If you become eligible during 2008, you may be able to claim the credit on your Tax Year 2008 return, but you will not receive the advance payment this year, since that is based on your 2007 return.

So, does it then exclude both of you, and you have to wait until 2008 tax season to claim credit on you 2008 taxes? Or will you individually get the $600, and then be able to claim $600 credit for you 2008 taxes filed next year.

So, does it then exclude both of you, and you have to wait until 2008 tax season to claim credit on you 2008 taxes? Or will you individually get the $600, and then be able to claim $600 credit for you 2008 taxes filed next year.

Ok, found the answer. NO-- as listed on the FAQ! So, I guess in doing your taxes this year, before making the decision to file jointly with an ITIN, take into account the other money you might be eligible for!!!! You will be excluded from the stimulus package...

Q. I have an ITIN, but my spouse has a valid Social Security number. Can we get a payment?

A. If you and your spouse file a joint return, you will not get a stimulus payment. If your spouse files a separate return, your spouse may qualify for a payment, based on his or her income deductions and credits.

Anyone know how would the IRS determine whether you are a non-resident alien or not? My wife and I both have a SSN and filed jointly, but she didn't get her GC until Feb of 08.

If you filed you 1040 jointly, with a non-resident alien, or someone who only has an ITIN, it says:

The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, which authorized the pre-payment of this one-time credit, stipulates that the payment is not to be made to any of the following:

Individuals who can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return;

Nonresident aliens; or

Anyone who does not have a valid Social Security Number.

If you become eligible during 2008, you may be able to claim the credit on your Tax Year 2008 return, but you will not receive the advance payment this year, since that is based on your 2007 return.

• 9 months later...

In filing your 2008 taxes, you will be able to claim a "recovery rebate credit" on line 70 of the 1040 form, or line 42 of the 1040A form. There will be a seperate worksheet to fill out to compute the amount of credit due. If anyone was in the case like me (filed jointly with ITIN number for wife) which then caused both of you to be excluded from the 2008 Economic Stimulus, you should be able to get it back this year as a tax credit.

A draft of the rebate recovery worksheet can be found at:

http://www.irs.gov/app/vita/content/pdf/re...itworksheet.pdf

This is good news for us that got left out last year, because when filing our dependents only had an ITIN..

• 2 weeks later...