A week to go before our 1st meeting

Guest Tony n Terrific

I talked to my stepson yesterday. He too told me it is the coldest in Nanning in 15 years. 39 Degrees there now.

This time last year I had just returned from my first trip to Shenzhen!! B)

I spent the majority of my time in light pants and short sleeves, only wore a very light coat at night!!

I still remember watching people at a amusement park going down a log ride wearing rain coats?? :D :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to my stepson yesterday. He too told me it is the coldest in Nanning in 15 years. 39 Degrees there now.

I spent the majority of my time in light pants and short sleeves, only wore a very light coat at night!!

I still remember watching people at a amusement park going down a log ride wearing rain coats?? :D :)

Well buddy 48F and raining in Shenzhen right now, that is cold.

World weather reports Nanning today

37 low 43 high

http://www.worldweather.org/001/c00558f.htm#wxforecast

January 2005, my first trip to China was Nanning. Few homes have heat (I believe they welcome the winter as relief from the sweltering summers).

I wore ski clothes in the home that included leather gloves. Sitting around the apartment visiting, frost vapors would form, as we'd speak. I slept in a down vest under one 20 lb blanket. And, January 2005 wasn't even close to the lows of 2008.

Have a great trip.

This time last year I had just returned from my first trip to Shenzhen!! :plane:

I still remember watching people at a amusement park going down a log ride wearing rain coats?? ;) :victory:

Yes Corbin, talked to the Mrs. before she took off for a week with family!!

She was wearing a shirt, sweater, coat, and gloves to talk on the cam!!! :victory:

You can get a book that will walk you through every step of the K1 visa process line by line for every form and explain how to put the petition together. It is available in an online version for less than $30 and you can download it immediatly. You can do it all yourself and save messing with lawyers. Here it is; www.nolo.com

There is a tab at the top for immigration visas....very good and very easy

You can get a book that will walk you through every step of the K1 visa process line by line for every form and explain how to put the petition together. It is available in an online version for less than $30 and you can download it immediatly. You can do it all yourself and save messing with lawyers. Here it is; www.nolo.com

There is a tab at the top for immigration visas....very good and very easy

You can also go to visa journey and get the same thing for free and also go to the really good FAQ's here on CFL!!

I still remember watching people at a amusement park going down a log ride wearing rain coats?? :P :plane:

Yes Corbin, talked to the Mrs. before she took off for a week with family!!

She was wearing a shirt, sweater, coat, and gloves to talk on the cam!!! :rolleyes:

Now I understand Ada's question if I had heat in my house and if it was just in one room.

Tony,

Just enjoy the moment, because this moment will last a life time in your heart. You'll be there for Chinese New Years, expect a lot of family gathering (breakfast, lunch and dinner) over a 5 day perods, just go with the flow, take plenty of pictures. Pack light, you'll bring home more clothes than you took with you.

The one thing I spoke with my Lao Po about before my first visit, that I was coming there with a open heart and mind. Take in what you see and don't forget that China is still a developing country and the living conditions are much different than ours.

Some do's and don'ts:

Do be respectful, ask her how to properly greet her parents, unsually a two handed warm hand shake. This is critical first step for the both of you and your future relationship together. The family will decide if they will allow your relationship continue and this will be at a family dinner, so bear that in mind and I'm sure you will be accepted into the family.

Don't touch any other woman in the family, this is a sign of disrespect.

Almost forgot some really important paper you'll need. Toilet paper. :blink: When out and about it can be hit or miss as to whether public toilets will have it. What you do find can be pretty coarse. :exclaim: Whenever I go I stick a couple rolls of Charmin in the suitcase. Since you're gonna be there a whole month you may want to more than a couple rolls. At least it doesn't weigh much. :huh:

Guest Rob & Jin

Am I the only one here that ever lived in the North of China? I was in Harbin and Changchun, and believe me they have heat in thier homes there!!!!

I just read in a book that is about 8 years old that in china it is illegal to heat a house in winter below the Yellow River.

The govt does not think many provinces need heating, so most places dont have it.

Just some hotels, their houses(ccp officials) , massage palors, etc have it :)

I came across this info in another forum... not sure if it's current or outdated. Has anyone ever "registered" with the local PSB when staying at the home of your SO? Apparently you can be fined 500 RMB/day. Again, I'm not sure if this enforced or not. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? If you're going to be there for a month, it might be good to know for sure.

According to China Law...

"Article 30 - When an alien wishes to lodge at the home of a Chinese resident. In urban areas, the host or the lodger shall, within 24 hours of the lodger's arrival, report to the local public security bureau with the lodger's passport and certificate as well as the host's residence booklet and fill in registration forms of temporary accommodation. In rural areas, the host or lodger shall report to the local police station or residence registration office within 72 hours of the lodger's arrival."

I came across this info in another forum... not sure if it's current or outdated. Has anyone ever "registered" with the local PSB when staying at the home of your SO? Apparently you can be fined 500 RMB/day. Again, I'm not sure if this enforced or not. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? If you're going to be there for a month, it might be good to know for sure.

According to China Law...

"Article 30 - When an alien wishes to lodge at the home of a Chinese resident. In urban areas, the host or the lodger shall, within 24 hours of the lodger's arrival, report to the local public security bureau with the lodger's passport and certificate as well as the host's residence booklet and fill in registration forms of temporary accommodation. In rural areas, the host or lodger shall report to the local police station or residence registration office within 72 hours of the lodger's arrival."

This was a highly contested thread awhile back, yes that is the law but.............